New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

DreamShapers sketch book

DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 616
Neo
edited December 6 in Oculus Medium
Medium is a fantastic experience, before I keep adding sculpts, decided it's time to start a sketchbook.  Will start with a bit of a retrospective, and more or less start at the beginning and with any luck, keep at it for years.  Here's a carousel I made a few months ago, to see the creations up to that point.

Two Year Anniversary Update (mostly sequential with annual highlights)

Earlier part of this post, carousel built inside medium with snapshots, from way back when we just met

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 616
    Neo
    First project, at least the first one that I'm going to post.   My first creation was actually more or less a beanbag chair, because after working through the tutorials I wanted to sit down.   Made this spaceship in mid February of 2017

Neo
    A couple days later, another spaceship

Neo
    Started to  scope out some of the other tools.   This was done using the now extinct precursor to the move tool.  Didn't use this a whole lot afterwords, but every once in a while I find myself wishing it was available.  Was pretty good for quickly laying out organic shapes. Also discovered emissives.  They don't quite have the same impact in 2d format, but this is the translation from VR.

Neo
    Next, it was time to take a closer look at metallics

Neo
    Simple landscape test.  Backdrop is a sliced cube which was directly painted on.  At the expense of surround sound in VR, it was useful for creating a more painter style airbrush approach

Neo
    This constructor spaceship went through a few iterations and ended up here.  Composing music for the galaxy

Neo
    Neon cyber ninja, somewhat abstract, sometimes you just have to dive into sculpting with things that are best experienced in the virtual spaces

Neo
    Which leads to a neon tribal mask of another form, love playing with the bright lights and drawing with dots

Neo
    Right around this time, I realized that if it didn't need to be 3d printed, then the work didn't need to be contiguous.  Made an abstract, and discovered how to work the turntable.  Spent a while watching the shapes roll through my face

Neo
    edited December 2017
    First try at a figure sculpt, maybe the second.  The other was also pirate, but apparently fell overboard into a tremendous sea of files. He seems a bit rough and surly, and his eyes need work, but these things take time to work out.  Printed him out as a mini, may come back and add a photo at some point.

Yarggh!
    Neo
    Took a stab at the dogs I envisioned from Fahrenheit 451. Read it a long time ago, remember something vaguely bio-mechanical with syringes for fangs. Not exactly how it turned out, but I had fun carving out the claw marks

Neo
    Decided to make a low res figure to print out.  Somehow, he ended up on the edge, striking a heroic pose, raising his sword to the sky and preparing to launch into battle

Neo
    Started another figure, face like Anubis, will have to come back to this one at some point. Definitely has a lot of room for improvement, but I find the general idea interesting.

Neo
    A frenzy of stamping, got curious what happens if you take a shape and just run with it.  A sea of faces calling from the eternal void

Neo
    Just another spaceship, scouting out the mechanical stamps, stealthily building up a fleet

Neo
    Some kinda savage war dog, mostly fangs and teeth.  Didn't put a lot of detail work into this, but gained some insights when I made the iridescent claws.  Reminder that I need to look into animal anatomy somewhere along the line, put that on my to do list

Neo
    Bird of prey in the darkest night

Neo
    Summon Guitarist

Neo
    Made a video of this one, experimenting with various lights colors and textures... she sounds alright

Neo
    Organics, designed a grass stamp, took it for a test drive, now I have a lawn growing wild in the unknown vastness of space

Neo
    Interesting weave texture, pure abstract, colorful.  Maybe could put it on a wall somewhere

Neo
    A simple savage drone, artifact of an ancient civilization.  Direct and to the point, built for business. Elegant in its simplicity

Neo
    Katlian's hammer

Neo
    Or perhaps the Hammer of the Gods (dimensional travel courtesy of tilt brush)

Neo
    Reserved for when I find the video that goes with this
    Neo
    A journey through surreal space

Neo
    Custom stamp, explorations

Neo
    Happy smiling space ship, heading out to the stars