New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DreamShapers sketch book

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 636
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    Last night decided the best way to understand a stamp after making it, is to build something using only that stamp, test out various angles and resolutions, get a feel for what kinds of imagery it can create.  Here's the first one.   Characteristics change considerably with the lighting angle and distance

Neo
    edited September 2018
    same stamp different resolution

Neo

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Designed with a compound stamp from the previous design

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Almost midnight

This last one is a different stamp, and is essentially a very subtle silhouette, the sort of thing that might make an interesting backdrop photo to the right scene.  You'll have to zoom in to see the actual shapes. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,544 Volunteer Moderator
    Another variant

This last one is a different stamp, and is essentially a very subtle silhouette, the sort of thing that might make an interesting backdrop photo to the right scene.  You'll have to zoom in to see the actual shapes. 
    The first one is very H.R Geiger. Awesome!, the second one is a completely black image for me so can not tell what's on it.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Neo
    edited September 2018

The first one is very H.R Geiger. Awesome!, the second one is a completely black image for me so can not tell what's on it.
    I'm definitely seeing a grey tone and black, but only on the full resolution image.  It's pretty abstract, although it borders on the subliminal level. 
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6024342/uploads/editor/fi/l1qka87dw5hm.png

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,544 Volunteer Moderator

https://us.v-cdn.net/6024342/uploads/editor/fi/l1qka87dw5hm.png

Yeah I see the medium logo but no image, I am on my surface tablet in bed, so probably my gamma is not calibrated.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Neo
    Yeah I see the medium logo but no image, I am on my surface tablet in bed, so probably my gamma is not calibrated.
    Hmm.  So what you are saying is that I should use the technique to place the words "Buy More Stuff" <g>
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    This is a more complete sculpt using a stone painted stamp that I affectionately named Chugger.  The wings also use a derivative stamp imaginatively called Chugger2

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Aspect of The Dragon I.   I find it interesting how the lighting from different angles highlights different areas of the stone, creating a slightly different impression with each. Has a somewhat Meso-American look at some angles

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Aspect of the Dragon II
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    Closeup of the wings.  Highest resolution work was done here

Neo
    Aspect of the Dragon III

Neo
    And another day begins

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Match

Neo
    edited September 2018
    This one reminds me of a black light poster.  Zoom in and take a closer look at the coloring. Not sure how that is even possible, like its through some kind of filter. I'm guessing that I took this from the middle of the environment, not sure if the camera was partially occluded by an object or if that is just due to the lighting.  Interesting effect.
    Neo
    edited September 2018
    Neo

Neo

Neo
    edited September 2018

Neo

Neo

Neo
    Ah, and now time to recenter again

Neo
    edited September 2018
    From hatchling....
    to transformations
    .. to starship (which apparently needs more lighting... from a distance

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Explored this a bit more

Neo
    Spent this afternoon playing around with angle/grid snapping and stamp iterations.  

Neo
    edited September 2018
    Rolled back to where I set the fork, and started working on the other version.

Did a couple of the arms.  Home menu pops up.  Tried to dismiss it, unintentionally closed the sculpt.  Message, low battery.  Attempt to remove battery, gets stuck. Grab a tool to pop it out of there.  Stabbed myself in the thumb.  I'll take this as a sign to just go back to the luminescent version and work from there.   May try the suction cups in a different color though, maybe an orange or pink  repaint of the stamp

Neo
    edited October 2018
    Still hammering away at this project.  Not sure if I'm moving forward or backwards on it.  Keep changing the shape and color, trying things.  Happier with the color of the suction cups anyhow, next time will bring them back into place.  A bunch of background objects, most of which probably won't make it into the scene and aren't shown here.  Photos feel kind of muddy at this point, due to the materials choices.   Will hopefully look better in video form.   May unify some of the materials once everything is in place and make them more consistent.  Actual details are likely to take a long time.  Anyhow, keeping me entertained, if somewhat overwhelmed.

Neo
    edited October 2018
    Still working on this, materials unified for the most part.  More work on the overall shape and form