DreamShapers sketch book - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DreamShapers sketch book

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 715
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Around this time, I got my hands on some ABS and decided to calibrate my 3d printer.  Couple shots taken before the flashing was removed. 

3Jane
    With higher contrast on the camera.  To do... dig around and find the folder where the finished, post cleanup, images disappeared to.  Took several days to get the printer dialed in, so I could remove this without breaking the sculpt.    ABS makes a really nice finish, but it tends to be a bit brittle and (at least this batch) is a lot more complicated to dial in than PLA.  Have a shoebox full of plastic horse carcasses now, but that's the price of progress.  Fortunately found some recipes for glue, and have a couple of nice sculpts to show for it.  Eventual goal is to pick up some casting equipment and make them into pure metal

3Jane
    edited February 2018
    Undersea voyage, crafted this ship and took the opportunity to try out some of the custom organic stamps I made earlier in a more complete setting

3Jane
    edited February 2018
    This one's a bit out of sequence.  Went back and refined this a few times.  Female sculpts are much harder than male sculpts, because they tend towards softness.  Angularity and rough surfaces definitely are much easier to implement.

First couple are the earlier versions, before I upgraded from 16 to 32 gigs of ram, and before I improved on eyes, eyebrows and eyelashes.  In the ballpark, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Curly hair apparently has a lot of surfaces for the graphics card to manage.

Improved the eyes.  Broke symmetry earlier, so they aren't quite perfect, but reasonably happy with the effect. Added some jewelry, a nosejob and some tuneup on her cheeks

Much closer
    3Jane
    Someday, when I have a massive amount of ram to work with,  I will sculpt a blue whale.  Spent some time working out the texture using compressed clay and painting.  Nice effect, but really heavy on the processing. Similar approach to the tree trunk earlier.  Haven't been able to do this just using surface paint.  I feel like the technique has potential with more power available to work with.

3Jane
    Quick sculpt of some buildings designed with organic nanotech, after rereading Idoru by William Gibson.  This was made around the time that clay-to-mesh was implemented by the oculus team.  This portion was all done using a single stamp (probably from the mechanical set or slightly modified), some smoothing and a quick paint job.  Nothing fantastic, but an interesting study and some elements that I liked. 

It actually evolved into a city, after I broke with the single stamp rule.

For the moment, it needs a placeholder image.

3Jane
    Rat Trap

3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Starship design, various angles of spaceship X, some light variations

3Jane
    Same ship, more or less, rendered with marmoset.  Fast learning curve, made most of these in the first day that I downloaded the demo.   Only one I've tried so can't really compare with other similar products, but I liked the results and ease of use.  Very transformative effects. @InkyTheOctopus, thanks for the info post on the basic settings.

3Jane
    Alright, enough for now.  Time to organize the next set
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Breaking temporal symmetry by posting tonight's sketch.  Interesting to arrive and find that I've been promoted to level Art3mis. Seems appropriate for the piece.

3Jane
    Nocked .  Starting to appreciate the move tool.  Now, just needs an archer

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Clearly this was long over due!! Keep it up man, great work!
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Clearly this was long over due!! Keep it up man, great work!
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    @FrozenPea ; Thanks!  Organizing these was quite a bit of work, started it about three months ago then got intensely busy with an  unrelated project and had no time for the finer things in life.  Turned out to be fortunate, as almost all of my earlier photos, in the medium folder, vanished during a crash or update.  Luckily I'd archived most of them, in preparation for doing this thread.  Anyone reading this might take backing up their images into consideration
    3Jane
    Returning to the original timeline.  This project was a giant robot, which went overboard with the metallics, so I named it Blingbot.  Here he can be seen from safe vantage point, in a random window, as he travels through the edge of an urban wasteland

3Jane
    A harsh spotlight covers the ground, which is currently a bunch of unpainted tiles, or at least seems that way to the untrained eye.  I liked the way the upper layers of the building gave a modern urban feel.  The fun we could have with more spotlights... probably more fun than my cpu can handle, but maybe I'll be surprised at some point

3Jane
    A couple of shots, the emissives take over, ground is textured now, but sort of washed out. 

3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Adjusting the lighting and taking some vertical shots seems to bring out a bit more color

3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Down the street, posed like a gunslinger.  Ground lighting at the expense of background

Closing in, a little better.  Spending an inordinate amount of time adjusting lights.  Each placement, teaches me a little bit, mostly that it's tricky to illuminate a black background.  More and/or brighter spotlights would be helpful, maybe a procedurally generated star filled sky that could be saved and imported as a backdrop.

3Jane
    A bit more color and a higher lighting angle from above.  Different aspects of the painting are highlighted from an overhead flare

3Jane
    Some interesting things emerged over the course of this project.  Here he is, fresh off the assembly line.  His visor appears somewhat transparent.  Some kind of reflection trickery.  Will have to decompress the original files and see if the surface texture gives that effect  due to the lighting, or is placed behind and emissive enough to create a transparency effect.  Anyhow, interesting enough to post.

3Jane
    Closeups of the metal, create a pleasing nebula like glow.  Some potentials here to export the tile a mesh, or make a similar one and use as space or landscape cloud backdrops

3Jane
    Iridescent sheen, like an oil slick on this closeup, something to remember and explore further.  Intriguing.  Not as pretty, but industrial, and convincing if planned for a surface segment.  Was trying to capture a small clay-to mesh tank that I threw in there at some point, lucky image.

3Jane
    Blingbot, mission complete, heads out. All shined up, cooling units intact.  Full bling activated using marmoset. Object illuminated separate from the background. Maybe a way to do something similar in the future with texture settings?

3Jane
    Another city, perhaps a more refined place than girders and rubble.   A variety of stamps and somewhat haphazard stacking to get a feel for building designs, and get a sense of what size, reasonably detailed, city model can be built with my current setup.  It's no metropolis, but manages to  create enough for a downtown area. Not sure if I started pushing the cpu or just ran out of layers.  Each of these gets turned into it's own stamp, could be useful later.

3Jane
    On second thought, what I need is urban sprawl... an island packed with skyscrapers, shanties and prefab architecture.

3Jane
    Nice little island you have there, would be terrible if something happened to it, such as forgetting to make the monthly payment to the giant robotic sea kraken...
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,695 Valuable Player
    In case you missed it, I figured out a method of faking multiple lights a while back - https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/49040/how-to-3-point-lighting-straight-out-of-medium I
    3Jane
    @P3nT4gR4m ; Undoubtedly missed it.  Spent the last few months entirely elsewhere.  Cool technique!