New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DreamShapers sketch book

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 674
    Neo
    Never skip a tribute payment when there is a giant robotic kraken involved

Neo
    A very long three months.  Had time to one quick series of sketches in.  Literally just scribbles for about an hour.  Not exactly finished works, but a different way of working than my usual approach.  Good exercise on forms though, fast way of working out a concept.  Did about twenty of these, will limit the post to two of them

Neo
    Ah, mid-December, finally some time to get back into sculpt mode.  Skydiver.  Posted some of these on facebook, about half of them triggered the face-recognition algorithm, which was pretty cool.  As usual built from scratch, heavily relied on the symmetry tool for almost all of the process.

Neo
    Different angles with a background color change.  Some smoothing work remains, and pretty fearless considering that someone forgot to pack a aparachute

Neo
    Clouds.  Still no parachute, hope that wingsuit is going to be enough,  There's a target on the ground.  Is there a way to hide the carousel icon, or at least keep it from showing up during photo/video mode?

Neo
    Another form based anatomy sketch, working out the muscle groups of the torso and neck, layer by layer

Neo
    An attempt to do an anatomy sculpt using the move tool as much as possible to establish contours and stretch muscle masses in plates and thin bands.  Creates an interesting color blending effect, not something you'd want to do on a sculpture intended for 3d-printing, but opens up some stylistic possibilities

Neo
    Took the above sculpt and then applied a particle brush, interesting effect and a lot of fun working the camera. 
    Gives me some ideas about doing a complete painting using particle fx, when I'm in a suitable state of mind

a sui

Neo
    More from the same series

At some point the clouds become almost solid.  Breathe.

Neo
    edited December 2017
    Playing with colors, might as well work with all of them

Neo
    From the other side

Neo
    edited December 2017
    Here's the carousel from the video in the opening post.  Could go anywhere in the timeline, so rather than track it down, will place it here.  Setup is basically a wireframe to line everything up neatly, along with as many images as my card could handle at the time placed as snapshots.  Arranged in a circle so the turnstyle can be used to watch them go by.   Kinda nice to have a place to go and get an overview of the entire gallery all at once.

Complete circuit
    Neo
    edited December 2017
    Another project, just has the label 10.  Pretty sure I did this fairly early in the cycle, but not sure exactly when.    A cube, with a bit of inflate/deflate tool usage. Originally created in medium and taken into substance painter for a makeover.

Shows the power of surface textures.  Would be absolutely incredible to have tools like this (or be able to access them) in paintbrush form.  If the devs are ever considering an addon package or external partnership ....

Imagine the possibilities
    Neo
    edited December 2017
    Climbing Mech.   This one has six legs, a gyroscopic navigation system, heavy cannons and a black and white paint job.

Base Design

Closeup of the pilot and cockpit

Neo
    edited December 2017

Climbing the first hill.  Scrap metal of former adversaries

Neo
    Standing ground under blood red skies

Scanning the horizon

Locking onto the target

Neo
    A reflection sighted on a distant hill, a silhouette that reminds me of a were-creature of some sort

Neo
    A distant windswept world

With new hills to climb and a starfield made from a particle brush

Neo
    edited December 2017
    Another outpost for climbing bot to conquer

Neo
    edited December 2017
    Standing on the last horizon.  Rendered in Oculus Medium.

Neo
    edited December 2017
    Which brings us to the present moment

As the bow is drawn

And the arrow of time prepares to take flight

Clearing the way for the next project

Neo
    edited December 2017
    Alright, finally up to the present day.

Comments and highlights of which pieces you like best are welcome, as well as any thoughts on process. Went back through and added a couple of short videos to the sketchbook, with their source photos  In the meantime will take advantage of what time I have available and conjure more dreams from the ethereal beyond that exists in the magical rift.

Bonus sculpt from the lost archives, a landscape and the bass guitar imported into tiltbrush.  Short video (15 seconds).

Neo
    edited January 2018
    While P3nT4gR4m was working on his Anne Bonny masterpiece, I vanished into a 300 hour journey through GearCity, snapped out of it a couple days ago and used my time more constructively. A bit of work on the archer, far from satisfied with the progress... 

or the mutations taking place after an aggressive collision with the move feature

as his head gradually transitions into something that I suspect will ultimately resemble a hammerhead shark.

Currently reminds me of Stewie.  Will run with this one a bit further and see if I like it better after some remodeling

Neo
    edited January 2018
    Mechs

Waiting in ambush

Night mode

On Patrol

Close to ground

Neo
    This thread is getting heavy with all the images multi-loaded into posts, so am going to just fill space until I get to the next page, then keep it to one image per post

Neo
    see above
    Neo
    see above
    Neo
    see above
    Neo
    reserved