New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DreamShapers sketch book

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 674
    Neo
    Switching directions for a bit.  Got interested in the default skeleton mesh, and decided that it would be fun to start an ongoing anatomy study.  Just work through it section by section over a period of time, since I seem to be jumping from sculpt to sculpt a lot lately as my interests move from place to place in terms of techniques I want to look at

Neo
    edited February 2018
    A few more hours on this one, not sure that I'm actually making any real progress on it though, even with the addition of fingers and toes.  Some parts improved, others, like the front leg/shin, I feel like I took a step back on.  Anatomy is tricky as hell, get something where you like it from one angle, turn it a bit and the flaws jump out at you like a  freight train. One part out of place, another out of proportion, this muscle too thick, that one too thin, curved at an awkward angle, over/under smoothed, stretched inaccurately. Whole thing is a moving target when the light shifts. Focus too closely on one area and the dynamic with the next area takes a new direction. Definitely a love/hate thing.  Lots of moving parts, takes a long time to dial it in, but I suppose that's the nature of the learning process. 

Neo
    edited February 2018
    Quick test of a concept. 

Not really sure if it has a lot of applications, but an interesting experiment in coloring.  Layered clay zones, cut them, moved, swirled filled a bit to get a clay color mix.   Duplicated it.  Cloned a mesh.  Converted to clay. Used the clay-mesh and one of the mixed clay sets and used subtract (since intersect lost the color).    Then overlapped the clay with the cutout inside it and the earlier clone.   Intersected the forms.

Result:  a somewhat camouflaged hatchling.  Higher resolution and more careful placement of clay sections, or maybe just a luckier cut, and some possibilities.  Probably just easier to airbrush it.  Then again, airbrushing thin initial clay layers might also have some interesting possibilities if a more thorough (as opposed to a quick, "let's see what happens when I do this" attempt at this technique was used.

Neo
    Strange and interesting things travel down this path.  All sorts of unexpected possibilities

Neo
    Begin to emerge

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,658 Valuable Player
    Looks like you've managed to recreate the whole Timothy Leary experience in VR  :D
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Looks like you've managed to recreate the whole Timothy Leary experience in VR  :D
    :wink:  

Neo
    “The level of intelligence has been tremendously increased, because people are thinking and communicating in terms of screens, and not in lettered books. Much of the real action is taking place in what is called cyberspace. People have learned how to boot up, activate, and transmit their brains." -- Timothy Leary
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    someone else seems to be tuned in here :smile:
    Neo
    edited February 2018
    Henri1970 said:
    someone else seems to be tuned in here :smile:
    Just playing with colors here (no paint, just clay)

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,646 Volunteer Moderator
    Trippy! I love how you are experimenting with it! I bet it looks even better in 3d!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Neo
    edited February 2018

Trippy! I love how you are experimenting with it! I bet it looks even better in 3d!
    Thanks! Everything looks better in 3d ... just something about being immersed in it. Which is why we are all here, I suppose :)

This one's actually a montage with a photos from an earlier version of the sculpt  in the background.  Could have all been in the same piece, but I melted all the original parts making the face, by stacking, bending and merging and all those things.  Forgot to clone the original layers before I did it, and didn't feel like doing a mesh export back to the previous version,

where I was attempting to iterate wave forms

Neo
    Organics turntable test, some interesting characteristics using materials and lighting in medium

Neo
    edited February 2018
    Didn't see that coming, did ya?

I'd uprez and do some more detail, but the card is already starting to melt, this thing is surprisingly large

It's all that high frequency detail on the foliage. Memory usage goes up according to surface area. I'm guessing the grass is taking up ten times as much as the elephant. Think about the surface area of a brain, compared to a football ;)
    Neo
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    It's all that high frequency detail on the foliage. Memory usage goes up according to surface area. I'm guessing the grass is taking up ten times as much as the elephant. Think about the surface area of a brain, compared to a football ;)
    Ya, you're right about the grass and memory, foliage is brutal that way.  Scenery in general tends to be, it's either pixel dense, high surface or both.   Glitch on the move tool crashed it, on the last run, the card tried to stretch the outside surface to several hundred feet high, which was interesting to look at, but overwhelmed the machine.

Could gain quite a bit by hollowing out the body of the elephant, as well.  Lots of volume stored in the torso.  Did it with the manta, in the other sculpt, helped a lot.

Might do enough to see if I can get that flat ink/watercolor look from the shrubs onto the grass. Something I like about that look, like a fragment from a YES album cover or something.

Elephant is definitely a "sketch".  To do the elephant properly, I'd have to get rid of all the background then spend a week or so getting a good handle on elephant anatomy, took about that long to get the horse (from a while ago) to where I was happy with it. The idea of texturing an elephant in medium is a bit intimidating as well, all those skin folds and wrinkles.  If I'm going to get that masochistic about anatomy detail, will probably be directed at a Rodin tribute sculpt. 

A bit torn on what direction I want to take, at the moment.  Getting really interested in texture, color and materials and kind of want to play with water and rock, see what can be done there.   Part of me wants to chase the contest entry, not sure if I'll have enough available time to do it right though.  See where the muse takes me, I suppose.
    Neo
    Working on the Drummer Tree

Neo
    Decided to change the color of the drums and connect them to the rest of the sculpt

Neo

I think my favourite thing is the fact that it's actually holding drumsticks :D
    Neo
    Nice work , good idea. :)

Thanks! You have no idea how close that came to being some kind of mutant starship troopers insectoid instead of a happy tree :)

Neo
    edited March 2018
    Primitive statues
    Midpoint Video (length 19 seconds), one rotation.  Your not going to see much, unless you go full screen.  Looks like the forum automatically puts it into HD mode though.

Neo
    edited March 2018
    Snapshots of the sculpt along the way (video length 1:11)

Neo
    First carving, various materials

Neo
    edited March 2018
    And the other style.  Figures made using carving tools, none of those fancy mirrors and non-chainsaw type things

Neo
    edited March 2018
    Gathering round a circle

Neo
    This one likes like he might be about to start some trouble

Neo
    edited March 2018
    Or maybe it's a team effort

Neo
    edited March 2018
    Think I spent more time documenting this than working on it , videos and all, anyhow, was fun.  Added a bunch of ancient sculpture from different cultures to my reference library, while I was at it. 

Deciding whether to continue on with this one, now that I've started using the move tool on the setting, or call it good and just try to knock out another carving