cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave my Oculus Rift plugged in all the time?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I leave my PC on for days on end and until recently as in a couple weeks ago I have never unplugged my Rift Oculus or sensors or anything.  I have 6 usb 3.0 ports and 4 usb regular ports.  I recently discovered my motherboard for PC only allows for 6 usb 3.0 ports and a total of 14 usb ports combined.  I tell you this because on day 1 of buying a Oculus which was about the time they came out I added a usb 3.0 Add In Card slot usb thingy that gives it 5 more usb 3.0 ports.  I realized that adding in this card with usb ports might have been bad or part of this problem.  Let me explain what has been happening.  I leave my Rift plugged in and when not using this and seems completely random my PC makes the usb disconnect sound and reconnect but mostly the disconnect sound and usually consecutively which doesnt make sense.  My windows action bar app or window will flag a error with pc devices and in device manager I can see the a generic super speed device has failed or not working right or unable to recognize.  I have traced it down to the actual rift headset itself and not the sensors.  I have the sensors in all the time and even now.

So its either the hdmi part of the cord or what I am thinking its the usb 3.0 part of the cord.  I have no idea and I am not a PC wizard.  It is very annoying and is completely random and sometimes it happens 3 times a hour and sometimes not at all.  I have done many clean installs and restarts, refreshes and re installed the oculus rift many times over.  I have gone through the entire process of downloading all my games and setting up everything and not because of this problem but because of other issues of me messing with settings I shouldn't on my PC.  By the way you cant back up Rift games and forced to re download each time.  Does anyone have this issue?  My device manager will sometimes show the yellow error notice and sometimes its fine and seems to be in tune with the usb connect sound.  I dont get it and have just decided to not keep it plugged in.  Is it ok to keep a Oculus Rift plugged in at all times or no?  Any ideas?  

Just a side note since unplugging my Oculus when not in use I seem to still get a usb disconnect sound usually twice in a short time span and seems to be after boot up of PC or resume from sleep but not always instant.  Sometimes its 1 hour after boot or resume.  I cant understand this and I realize this might not be proper posting but I know the device manager shows this thing disconnecting and the yellow notice.  This has been like this from day 1 and its not only recent.  I have had this problem for the entire time I bought Oculus and have posted this problem before with no solution.  When actually using Rift I have never had a problem so I have no clue what this is.  I am inclined to think it is because I have this extra usb AID card in one of my pcie slots for extra usb's.  No my Rift is not on one of these usb ports.  All my VR and Rift stuff is on my PC usb motherboard ports on the main board.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you      -Brad Bergeron
Owner of almost every decent VR game worth trying and triple A game as well.  2 TB worth of VR and AAA games on SSD.
3 REPLIES 3

falken76
Expert Consultant
I left mine plugged in all the time and it was fine.  I also have the Inatek card.  I put the HMD and one sensor on the motherboard USB, I put the other two sensors on the Inatek card.  I also went into device manager and went to all the USB hubs and turned power management off so windows doesn't shut the ports down to save power.

kzintzi
Trustee
as @falken76 said, turn off the USB power management in device manager and you'll be fine.

as a note, if you leave home running the unit will stay warm; if you close home it will turn off the headset and it will cool down.

I usually start home about 10 mins to let the unit warm up to stop fogging, but leave it plugged in all the time and don't have issues.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Falken Thank you thats what I have the Inatek card.  Thats exactly the brand or software used to install the drivers.  Awesome.. I think I will take your advice and check the power management stuff.  Thank you for something new.  Thank you also Kzintzi..  I do not leave home running as I see that it does stay powered up if you do and yes its warm.  Thanks guys I will try that.  Looking forward to trying Elite Dangerous now that its on sale.  I have always wanted to.  
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?