Feature request : Cable entanglement counter — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Feature request : Cable entanglement counter

HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
3Jane
edited December 2017 in Support
I would like to request a non-intrusive CV1 overlay that I can peek down to, that displays how many times my body has rotated 360° in the same direction, so I can favor turning back in the opposite direction to prevent any excess cable entanglement in one direction, instead of ending up having to take off the headset to undo that increasingly uncomfortable cable entanglement.

Either as a permanent overlay (with an on/off option in the "Oculus Home" menu VR screen). Or at least at the bottom of the "Oculus Home" menu VR screen, that I can go check by manually pressing the right Touch controller's "Oculus Home" button, without having to remove the headset.

This is mostly for 360° applications, but would also have the benefit of 'allowing' 180° applications to simply trigger a trip to the "Oculus Home" menu when the user is no longer facing the sensors in the recommended 180° dual front facing sensors setup, instead of each developer having to waste time and resources on having to create and manage every bit of the visual response to that common sensor issue for each one of his applications, himself.

Comments

• NorthbeeNorthbee Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Yes wouldn't that be nice. I suggested a similar feature here but no one seems interested. It might be hard to tell from the GIF, but there is essentially a line that gets warped around the player the more tangled you are. It's really nice and has saved my cable from getting completely twisted. It's non intrusive and wouldn't bother most people if it was visible in the Oculus Overlay, but it should still have an on off toggle in the settings. There is also TurnSignal for SteamVR. It doesn't feel as nice but it works.
  • Pyr0ukPyr0uk Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    having ruined my oculus rift cable and currently waiting on a replacement, i think this could be a useful addition
    NerveGear
    edited December 2017
    delete
    NerveGear
    edited December 2017
    double post wth
  • SkysolsticeSkysolstice Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Yes, would like this added to dash.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    edited January 2018
    Northbee said:
    Yes wouldn't that be nice. I suggested a similar feature here but no one seems interested. It might be hard to tell from the GIF, but there is essentially a line that gets warped around the player the more tangled you are. It's really nice and has saved my cable from getting completely twisted. It's non intrusive and wouldn't bother most people if it was visible in the Oculus Overlay, but it should still have an on off toggle in the settings. There is also TurnSignal for SteamVR. It doesn't feel as nice but it works.
    TURNSIGNAL is great, thank you : It has nothing but positive reviews except for that one guy who couldn't launch it. If it wasn't free I'd buy it.

PS : Yes, that GIF you posted is totally confusing, no wonder nobody reacted to it.