Why does my sculpt look all broken up — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why does my sculpt look all broken up

Isabella.OmohundroIsabella.Omohundro Posts: 12
NerveGear
edited December 2017 in Oculus Medium
I am new to Medium and I made my first sculpt today. However, I am rather disappointed and confused. I finished my sculpt and the OBJ looks fine but the Preview is HORRIBLE. It somehow ruined my model. Why is this and is there any way to fix this.? The OBJ looks how it does in Medium. Why in tarnation is the preview so horrid! 
I am going to attach the link to it in my gallery. I just really wish to know WHY this has happened so I can avoid it in the future. My sculpt even looks like it should in the non-moveable thumbnail. Why is the movable one all destroyed? 

https://www.oculus.com/medium/sculpts/155184568586753/

Answers

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,696 Valuable Player
    The preview goes through a reductive process called decimation, this will make it look all blocky compared to your original it is also unlit and with none of the PBR surface texturing applied so the colours will look a bit flat and icky. Don't worry, tho, the dowloaded model will look fine in medium
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    yeah don't worry most people will still judge people' sculpts by pictures / videos or just download the model as the 3D preview leaves a lot to be desired, anything that is too thin comes out really bad as it can't assign the mesh enough polygons. (to keep it light weight for a web preview.)

Example, this hair on this model: https://www.oculus.com/medium/sculpts/939737002840854/
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,696 Valuable Player
    For the time being you might want to look at uploading to sketchfab. Facebook webGL is so far behind the curve it's not even worth an honorary mention at this point.
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    What Pent and Pea say is the case, the decimation of a big sculpt to get it under the file size cap of the Facebook feed causes it to be decimated pretty heavily. We're working on an improved format with better letting and material handling that should vastly improve the quality of the preview meshes.