New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Can i connect my new Rift to a hdmi splitter?

sonicsjuuhsonicsjuuh Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello Rifties,

I just bought and recieved my Rift. I'm having loads of fun with it, but I do seem to have 1 connection problem.

I have a GTX970 in my setup, and that has a DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI and displayport output. They are all used for my 4-screen setup (3 monitors and 1 tv above them). So when I bought the rift I knew that I had to buy some sort of splitter to put up on the hdmi port, because I needed to switch between the monitor and the rift.

But scolling trough some videos and forums (most of them from 1 year ago), I can only assume that it doesn't track the rift when it's on a splitter.

Is this still correct? Has this been updated? Does this mean I have to connect and disconnect the cable manually every time I want to play? Because that's going to worn out the cable pretty fast i recon. I was wondering if there are any other options that I could use to not get the cables worn out and still keep my 4 monitor setup.

Grtz,

Jan

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,076 Oculus Staff
    Last time I check, splitters weren't supported.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,045
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    You can make switching easier if you get a 1m hdmi extension cable and have the two devices cables handy to plug in and out as needed, locate the extension cable to your work area and it's not such a hassle.
    I use an extension cable and it doesn't hurt the Rift.
    Note ... Repeated plugging and unplugging will wear out the connectors before long.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • aserr121aserr121 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi,

i bought an MSI laptop so I can play with the oculus rift. I’m trying to make it where I can display on the tv what I’m seeing on the goggles but my laptop only has 1 hdmi port which the goggle is connected to. I also purchased a 2-output hdmi splitter to see if it would work. I have an hdmi from laptop to splitter (input), then (output 1) is goggles, and (output 2) is tv. The tv will show what’s on the laptop but my goggles stay black (shows nothing). I’ve tried different ways but still nothing. If anybody could help would be much appreciated..
  • basti107basti107 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    i used a hdmi-clutch and had artefacts in the rift.
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,042
    Trinity
    NO
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 781
    Trinity
    edited April 18
    Display ports on Monitors are intended to link up in series for your type of needs so if yours are not then upgrade them (not). Instead of that, I had tried a DVI>HMDI Adapter but failed to display on the CV1 but a DisplayPort>HMDI Adapter (must be 4k*2k) worked on it. I use a short cable to prevent wear on the socket. Then use HMDI splitter for 2 monitors together plus the 2 DVIs or 4 way HDMI box.
  • hassankhassank Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    @aserr121 have you gotten the splitter approach to work?