no hdmi connection to the headset, yet its pluged into my dedicated graphics card? help me please — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

no hdmi connection to the headset, yet its pluged into my dedicated graphics card? help me please

yomustdie94yomustdie94 Posts: 23
Brain Burst
ive looked at other discussions on here and i cannot seem to get my rift's hdmi plug to be detected in the oculus program, neither a adapter for the display port or the actual hdmi port seem to work for it, and yet i can run my monitor on both. please help!

Best Answers

• yomustdie94yomustdie94 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Accepted Answer
    i ended up returning it and getting back a good one, it seemed to be that the screen inside the headset itself wasn't connected
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018 Accepted Answer

Answers

Brain Burst
    edited December 2017
    i also tried re installing the program, restarting my pc, and this is the picture of whats happening EDIT: and here is a zip, if that helps
    Brain Burst
    im a noob to this oculus site
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 244
    Nexus 6
    This site has thousands posts on this issue.
    The could be lots of reasons. You could search this site or post support ticket.

First to try:
    - check if hdmi cable is plugged in (it is funny, but works for some :)  )
    - check if opposite side of hdmi cable is plugged in headset (you could disconnect face plate and have access to cable connection)
    - check if hdmi socket on you card is working (still working), try to plug in any hdmi monitor to this socket
    - check hdmi cable connector and compare to magnified photo in the internet. All pins should be the same length except for one.
    - etc
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2017
    the first 3 i have already tried, im now on to go and look at the hdmi connector
    edit: no the last one was not the case, thanks for the help though.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    some issues with the headsets USB can be shown as HDMI issues. Plug the USB cable of the headset into a different port(try a 2.0 USB one, if you are using a 3.0 USB).

Sometimes it is better to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM
    for VR to avoid USB controller issues.
    Brain Burst
    i have tried switching the USB ports around and it didn't work. i was already on 2.0 for all of my oculus USB cords, and also i have two 3.0 USB ports that still let the headset USB work but still no connection to the headset HDMI.
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Check if the HDMI cable is inserted fully into the headset itself., you can do this by gently pulling the foam guard from the headset and take the cable out and put it back in. You can also buy a 2 dollar Display port to HDMI adapter and try with that.
    Brain Burst
    i have already done both when i looked at the port for the headset, the cable was flush with the headset, and i already have a display port to HDMI adapter that i have also tried having my headset plugged into again with no luck
    Brain Burst
    edited December 2017
    in fact the port is a little warm indicating it is working
    i have also checked the pins on it and they look to be fine
  • stefgunstefgun Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Had a similar issue (but trouble with the headset's USB connection aswell) and returned the whole thing to the retailer for replacement. The new one works perfectly.
    3Jane
    It does sound like you might have shamefully gotten a defective unit in that case, I do suggest in that case to get a replacement at the store you bought it from.
    Brain Burst
    i will try one more thing, installing windows 10 instead of 7 because on their recommended specs it sais with a 1050 ti you have to have windows 8 or better. so ill be waiting for that disk to come in.
  • DreamWalkerUKDreamWalkerUK Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I HAD SAME PROBLEM So purchased adaptor to plug HDMI into VGA PORT WORKS FINE FOR ME NOW..!!
    Brain Burst
    it dont work for me, im still trying to figure out this instalation disk,
    Brain Burst
    the installation disk didn't work, it said it was supposed to upgrade windows 7/8 to 10 but it keeps geting to 33% installed, then closes and pops up a message that sais "windows 10 install failed", so im going to probably pay the money for windows 10 pro and see if that works.
    Brain Burst
    and if that doesn't work im returning it and getting a new one
  • Smudger1954Smudger1954 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    My problem is not the PC / Graphics Card end of the cable my problem has proven to be at the headset end as the cable plugs into that end it is an unsecured fitting Which if I sit patiently and gently manipulate the cable I will get a connection but on releasing my grip on the headset/cable I loose the signal and the system again registers the HDMI not connected 
    Brain Burst
    i will try this
  • Smudger1954Smudger1954 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have returned my Oculus Rift to my shop and have a replacement It took them two weeks to get one and I get the impression this is a common fault Anyway let me know if you get a result As an EX-Mechanic extremely used to fixing Vehicle C.P.U's it's almost definitely the cause of your problem 
  • MartronicMartronic Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    if you have multiple monitors you have to have it set to extend these displays... on my setup i am using a laptop and if i have it set to only display on my monitor on the mini displayport it will tell me there isnt a hdmi connection in oculus...
    Brain Burst
    sorry for the year long wait but it was a bad HMD