What graphics card driver do I need for Rift Core 2.0? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What graphics card driver do I need for Rift Core 2.0?

RundopalRundopal Posts: 7
NerveGear
I tried updating to Rift Core 2.0 but I need to update my graphics card driver. The problem is: I don't know wich one this is. I'm with NVIDIA GEFORCE.

Best Answer

Answers

• jxjcksnjxjcksn Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I, maybe unfortunately, am limited to the ALIENWARE Graphics Amplifier.   Unlike normal desktop users that have only teething problems released from new graphics drivers, which, OCULUS is requiring by the looks of it ..  am plagued by the lack of development by DELL and NVIDIA for the Graphics amplifier for Notebooks.  I have installed the LASTEST driver from Nvidia, Used DDU and reinstalled many times, only to come back to the same problems and conclusions.  At any point trying to update to the latest Nvidia drivers using a Notebook with Graphics Amplifier, I am plagued with poor performance stuttering and unplayable VR.

I was excited to try the New Core 2.0 but once again ..  after trying .. in the hope that Nvidia and Dell and Alienware had sorted their crap ...  was stuck with a loss of framerate making the experience unplayable.

I reverted back to Classic Oculus Home with recommended working drivers with the Graphics Amplifier running the founders edition 1080 gtx and now VR has returned to normal.  Will I try Core 2.0 again ?  Doesn't look as if it possible, since Oculus required the latest Nvidia Graphics drivers, which, yup !  I can't use !

Rock //  Hardplace !

MEH !
  • Dom3156Dom3156 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Need Help... Cant get the correct graphic driver to run oculus core 2.0 please help

I have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,355 Valuable Player
    The latest driver is usually the best bet, but any driver from 388.31 or later should be fine. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, usually the latest driver is fine. Make sure you visit Nvidia's website (i.e. by searching "nvidia drivers" on Google) and download directly. If you auto-download through Nvidia Experience, it can sometimes be an old driver.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DenspionDenspion Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2018
    I have the latest drivers, 390.65 for my 1070, however since core 2.0, i get no display in my headset, the home app is up, when i put on the headset I can hear the background noise from the home, but nothing on the lenses, i've also restarted, and closed my anti virus software.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    Don’t use 390 drivers. Use the 388.7x driver. 
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 294
    Nexus 6
    To add a data point for the forum - I'm running Dash on an Asus GTX1060 (6 GB) using 388.71.  No problems encountered.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,836 Valuable Player
    Yeah.  The latest drivers are not always the better ones.  The 390 Nvidia drivers are known for VR issues so it is best to avoid them until they get their stuff worked out properly.