New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

AAA Experiences coming to the Rift (2018-2019)

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,927 Power Poster
edited December 2017 in General

So much to look forward to for Rift owners over the next 2 years,

First up, a new game in the Echo franchise (no game footage but a big 'ol teaser video). It looks like the makers of Lone Echo and Echo Arena will be releasing a flight-based game, Echo Combat:

Second, the folks who made Titanfall are teaming up with Oculus Studios for something potential grand in 2019:

And of course, Marvel Powers is still en-route, with the latest reveal being Thor:

EDIT:
A few more games added to the list,

A personal favorite of mine (although this may not necessarily be a true AAA Experience); Episode 2 of Albino Lullaby. The first episode captivated me. It was one of the very first games in 2016 that kept me on my feet for 3+ hours straight.

Probably one of the scariest games to ever come to VR is back in development: Allison Road.

Here's a Counter-Strike inspired multiplayer FPS, Alvo

A new exploration/adventure game, Anamorphine

Apex Construct is a game that combines the Archery concepts in VR with a full adventure:

Empire is a “VR Stealth” game where “Metal Gear Solid meets Golden Eye 007”

Evasion takes the concepts we’ve seen with Space Pirate Trainer and VR Invaders, and places it all in a multiplayer setting with a full campaign.

"Inspired by the likes of Spaceteam and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Failspace promises hours of co-op fun in VR. One to five players team up to take care of their ship as it falls to pieces around them. Expect loud squabbles and screams of panic as you work against the clock."

In Death is a Dark Souls-esque action game:

Shaman Spirithunter was announced earlier this year, and still on track for a 2018 release:

Space Junkies... a multiplayer VR-Arcade shooter:

Apparently the company, Raw Data, has decided to remind the world that Wii Sports is alive n’ well in VR. Their latest project, Sprint Vector, lets players use swinging movements to race.

Transference looks… unique, to say the least.

"Unknown Fate promises a full first-person adventure for VR in which you’ll explore a fantastical new world filled not only with wonder but strange enemies and a range of puzzles. This looks like it could have some of the most surreal sights yet seen in a VR game."

Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 3,025 Power Poster
    Playing as the Hulk in Marvel Powers United is going to be fucking AWESOME! One of my favourite superheroes! B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,706 Valuable Player
    edited December 2017
    Hopefully the big one Resident Evil 7. Instead of watching it on Youtube Zen and feeling it weren't that great you'll be able to experience it first hand. Hopefully it will be a free update although I think this might be wishful thinking.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,726 Power Poster
    Really looking forward to seeing what Echo Combat is like. Echo Arena has been one of my top games of the year. The Respawn game has potential too. I’m not typically a big multiplayer guy, but I enjoyed both Titanfall games. 
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 915
    3Jane
    edited December 2017
    Well, I am looking forward Marvel Powers United but I would not call Oculus Studio Triple A yet. Ready at Dawn, while being founded by senior devs from  Blizz and Naughty Dog and delivered epic games liek Daxter..I found their VR multiplayer game rather "meh". (Not my cup of tea atleast) and I expected something better. Echo Combat therefor isn't really a triple A title to me.

I am however very interested to see what Respawn Entertainment can bring forth though.

There's obviously Skyrim VR from Bethesda coming in 2018 and I believe Square Enix has a VR title in the works as well.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,927 Power Poster
    edited December 2017
    Hmm.. out of these 3 I would say only the one between Respawn and Oculus could count as a Triple A title. Echo Combat is  for it's standards still an Indie Game by an Indie Developer and well Oculus Studio's isn't as well established yet to count as Triple A either.

The concept of "AAA" applies to the output of the software and the overall experience it provides. The idea that only certain studios that meet a superficial criteria are the only ones qualified to produce a AAA quality game is a farce.

As for Oculus Studios, there is no other studio in the VR Software industry that is more established.

I have no interest in Skyrim VR for the same reasons I kept away from Doom and Fallout VR: I do not consider "flat games" having VR added as an after-thought to be "AAA VR experiences." I think that these types of projects are good for VR as a whole, since it does add more software to the ecosystem; plus there is a market for throwing VR in to older games. However, I'm only interested in new ideas that are purely VR-centric.

3Jane
    edited December 2017
    @Zenbane Actually Triple A refers to Mid size and major developers who have software under their name that are  very well received. unofficial title of course.

I am not saying Skyrim VR is good, the fiasco of just slapping it on is rather appearent in Fallout VR and Doom. However Bethesda is a Triple A developer which multiple Triple A titles on their name. I just wanted to mention it's release for those who were interested.

In my honest opinion I rather see Bethesda making a new RPG, be it Elder scrolls or Fallout or something completely new with full VR support from the ground up instead of another re-release.

Also.. we need more RTS / RPG games for VR >.>
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 238
    Nexus 6
    They need to remake r.u.s.e for vr i bloody loved that game yet it failed miserably and shut down for some reason 
    edited December 2017
    @Zenbane Actually Triple A refers to Mid size and major

AAA gaming experiences existed before the phrase "AAA gaming experiences"
    ;)

Nonetheless, lets focus on the second part of the WikiPedia entry for this phrase:
    "A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game or to be among the year's bestsellers."

It is entirely possible for a game to be high quality and a bestseller without it being developed by a mid-size or major studio. What you are referring to is the expected guarantee of a AAA game simply because it is developed by a studio with a big budget. However, this is not necessarily a prerequisite. Talent, skill, dedication, and passion are all that is required to put forth a AAA experience.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    Im waiting for the D cell gaming experiance!
    WAAAGH!
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    @Zenbane Actually Triple A refers to Mid size and major

AAA gaming experiences existed before the phrase "AAA gaming experiences"
    ;)

Nonetheless, lets focus on the second part of the WikiPedia entry for this phrase:
    "A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game or to be among the year's bestsellers."

It is entirely possible for a game to be high quality and a bestseller without it being developed by a mid-size or major studio. What you are referring to is the expected guarantee of a AAA game simply because it is developed by a studio with a big budget. However, this is not necessarily a prerequisite. Talent, skill, dedication, and passion are all that is required to put forth a AAA experience.
    Well, it is an unofficial title so anyone can take it as they want, nothing wrong with that. In my opinion games that are developed by small studio's and are less then 5h long in their campaigns, is what I consider an Indie game and not a Triple A title. Obviously, Indie games can be good or amazing.

Anyway, when it comes to games I'm already getting tired of all the "shooter" type games on VR. It seems as if that's all VR got to offer. Echo Combat for example doesn't seem any different in that regard from the trailer you posted. Even Respawn, even though I am excited to see what they deliver, seems to be going for the shooter route.

To my experience, there is a lack of other genre's. I mean regardless of Chronos and Vanishing realms there are hardly any new VR RPG's. There's fallout and Skyrim but they are mainly slap on VR. Doom, another shooter. Then we have less then a handfull of Arcade / adventure titles like Adrift, Lone Echo etc.

It's time for something major to push VR into people's hands, all those tiny shooter games ain't going to do that.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 2,426
    Project 2501
    Three videos and only one contains actual game footage...

Plus any game released in 2019 should be OpenXR compatible to not Rift exclusive.

The Super Hero game looks nice but I bet it gets repetitive after 5 minutes.

The problem with Oculus is they neither have the back catalogue of games to convert to VR or have the time to invest 3 years on a single title.

People here complain about Valve not producing and complain about Bethesda’s ports but at the end of the day it’s all about game sales in a sustainable market place. Oculus are still going for a quick fix spending lots of money on short throw away titles.

It’s time to put meat on those VR bones.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,084
    3Jane
    I agree that making aaa games from the ground up is awesome but I have been enjoying skyrim vr while I'm waiting.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,726 Power Poster
    Syrellaris said:.
    Anyway, when it comes to games I'm already getting tired of all the "shooter" type games on VR. It seems as if that's all VR got to offer. Echo Combat for example doesn't seem any different in that regard from the trailer you posted. Even Respawn, even though I am excited to see what they deliver, seems to be going for the shooter route.
    The Echo Combat trailer doesnt show any footage of the new game, so it’s a bit premature to judge it. We don’t even know if it is a shooter, really—it could be a robot punch-em-up. The Respawn game is very likely to be a shooter, since that’s their specialty. 

Anyway, shooters are a pretty big part of mainstream video games, and they’re a natural fit for VR games using motion controllers, so it’s not surprising that there are a lot of games in that genre. If devs want to appeal to a large audience, shooters are a pretty good bet. 
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    3Jane
    I am not juding Echo combat as a game yet, but to me it looks like it will be. Not saying that it will, will have to wait for more info regarding that.

While shooter games may be a great fit when it comes to Virtual Reality movement, it certain isn't the only thing that can benefit. Adventure games, horror games, Roleplaying games and even RTS can all benefit greatly from VR as well. Simply because the control method suits them as well.

If you are just going to focus on one type of genre for VR, it will saturate the market for that and eventually die out, or leave us with crappy shoot em up games that aren;t worth the time, effort or money.
    Syrellaris said:
    If you are just going to focus on one type of genre for VR, it will saturate the market for that and eventually die out, or leave us with crappy shoot em up games that aren;t worth the time, effort or money.

This concept hasn't seemed to hurt the console market at all. In fact, the entire console gaming ecosystem is overly saturated with clones of clones of clones of originals.

From my perspective, every game ever made is either a clone of: Doom, Final Fantasy, Diablo, WarCraft, Myst, or Super Mario Bros.

edited December 2017

Updated the main post with more exciting releases over the next 1-2 years.

I think just about every one of these games will end up in my Library at some point. However, I am most excited about: Albino Lullaby - Episode 2, Anamorphine, Apex Construct, In Death, Transference, and Unknown Fate.

And from that list, Unknown Fate, is probably the game I am most looking forward to playing.

3Jane
    I totally agree. I love so many of the rift games but I like the idea of always having a larger adventure type game like skyrim and fallout that I can switch to. I go back and forth from skyrim to rift games. I did the same thing with resident evil 7. I know some people hate ported games but for me they are fantastic. If they ported the unchartered series it would be like i have died and gone to heaven.

inovator said:
    I totally agree. I love so many of the rift games but I like the idea of always having a larger adventure type game like skyrim and fallout that I can switch to. I go back and forth from skyrim to rift games. I did the same thing with resident evil 7. I know some people hate ported games but for me they are fantastic. If they ported the unchartered series it would be like i have died and gone to heaven.

I'm not a fan of ports however, they do have a place in the market. There's never really a fear that ports will saturate the market either, that's the great thing about capitalism... diversity!

3Jane
    Amen
    3Jane
    @Zenbane The console market benefits from having a whole range of genres to choose from though. But how many of those clones do people actually play alot.. So far only Overwatch, call of duty and battlefield games are actually played more then any other shooter.

Still, it doesn't remove the fact that VR in general is lacking in other genres atm. Unknown Fate and the 2 other adventure games you added to the OP are a good start though. Especially Unknown Fate looks interesting to me.

edited December 2017
    @Zenbane The console market benefits from having a whole range of genres to choose from though. But how many of those clones do people actually play alot.. So far only Overwatch, call of duty and battlefield games are actually played more then any other shooter.

The entire "Metroidvania" line of clones is a good example of what I'm talking about. Yet more examples include Tower Defense games which began as WarCraft 3 Mods (which have also come to VR), and the DoTA franchise (e.g. League of Legends), which also began as a WarCraft 3 Mod.

I'd actually love to see DoTA comes to VR in a first person multiplayer aspect.

There's lots of examples of clones thriving across PC and consoles. And if we start talking about mobile games... it gets so much worse (Candy Crush clones, Clash of Clans clones, etc).

edited January 26
    In Death is arriving next month, 2/2018

Another game to add to the list is Primordian, which will also be arriving next month:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1451559158290184/

Valentines 2018 is gonna be a good month for VR!

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 2,849 Volunteer Moderator
    The guys at Echo Games spoke to me on twitter and said: "This is not the end of Jack and Liv's story .. stay tuned"

So I'm hoping for a Lone Echo DLC or New game altogether. That game seriously raised the bar.
    Core i7-7700k | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 
    3Jane
    @Zenbane ; I would love a good rts with great online map / mod support like warcraft 3 or command and conquer :)

Brass Tactics looks interesting.
    edited February 2
    In Death is out today. There are already folks dominating the leader boards. I'm currently at a crummy 46 Ranking, 'cause this game's mechanics are mighty challenging!

In a nutshell:
    In Death is "true rogue bow" meets "true hack-n-slash crawler."

I spent about an hour in this so far; here's a the rundown:

This is a Rogue Bow/Arrow shooter. However, the overall gameplay is very much a "dungeon crawler" experience. This is the closest I've gotten to enjoying a true "hack n slash" experience in VR. I tried some of them on SteamVR, but none were ever to my liking. Prior to In Death, the game Theseus took me back to my Diablo 1 days. Although mostly in theme, not so much in hack-n-slash gameplay with true dungeon crawling.

Movement happens with the bow/arrow as well (you shoot movement shards). Although you can also toss movement shards with your right hand. Your bow can carry up to 3 distinct types of Arrow, and switching between them is fun and unique.

This is a game where you have to really master the controls in order to succeed. I died a lot the first 20 minutes, but once I started to memorize the controls... the killing spree started getting addicting.

The theme is very Heaven/Hell, and they really seem to love Thy Lord Jesus...

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 3,025 Power Poster
    Looks pretty good but they should have added melee combat for close quarters as well as the bow and arrows imo. Procedural generation is an added bonus but I can see only having a bow and arrow to fight with getting old pretty fast.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    You have a shield on your left hand. I haven't tried bashing their skull open yet to test out melee potential lol

What can happen, is that you can use your shield to block when you GTFO of melee range. Some of those rooms get mighty crowded.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 377
    Trinity
    "Ark Park-The survival evolved VR" finally got an release date: 22nd march for both Rift, vive and PSVR.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 377
    Trinity
    Not really sure if this is to be considered an AAA title. And despite it has dinosaurs as well as Ark Park they are not related in any way.

Anyhow "Time Carnage" to be released for Rift, vive and PSVR in April:

Don’t Knock Twice developer Wale Interactive announced today that its latest VR project would be arriving on PlayStation VR (PSVR), Oculus Rift and HTC Vive this April. In the game, you play as an elite soldier that jumps to different periods in both history and the future to take out waves of incoming threats. You’ll do battle with dinosaurs, robots, zombies and monsters with over 25 different types of weapons.

The game offers a 16-tier campaign along with a Custom Arcade Mode and a set of 20 challenges to unlock cheats and weapon perks.

3Jane
    I can't get excited about another wave shooter.