cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My laptop with a gpu can't connect to the rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have looked for a while, can't find a direct answer to my questions so here I am. I have a dell precision 5510 laptop, on this laptop there is an Nvidia quadro m1000m gpu.

When I was going through the oculus software set-up process and it asked to plug in the headset HDMI, I did and it isn't getting detected. the usb connection works, the sensor usb works, just not the HDMI. It seems that my computer can detect it since the rift is listed as a monitor in my control panel. I recognize the rift needs to be plugged into a dedicated GPU, and that the quadro m1000m is the "mobile version" of Nvidia GPU's, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. 

I also know that my poor laptop has no chance at running anything intense on the oculus but I would like to try it out, and I find it odd that the rift wont work AT ALL on this laptop. I have desktop back in college and I'm sure it'll work fine on that, but again I wanted to try it out and I would like to answer this question for anyone else out there who has the same problem.

I appreciate any help you can offer!
4 REPLIES 4

Mwilliams78
Expert Protege
That card has no chance of running a Rift, sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also know that my poor laptop has no chance at running anything intense on the oculus but I would like to try it out, and I find it odd that the rift wont work AT ALL on this laptop. 

I understand this ^^^ ... I wrote it. If someone has an answer as to why it isn't being detected on my laptop that is what I am looking for help on. Thanks again for your time!

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Because in most laptops the HDMI port isn't connected to the dedicated graphics card but the onboard graphics chip.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Integrated graphics is why it's not working, that's what the m after 1000 represents.  Your rift won't work on that laptop.