There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.
This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
- The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
- The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
- The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz
Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.
I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:
- Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
- Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
- The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
- The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane