New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,356 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    Iriodus said:
    @Atmos73

You know, I had entirely forgotten about that headset, as it didn't seem to be going anywhere, but despite my aforementioned gripe with Razor products I'd like to actually see this prediction come to pass.

No @Iriodus - there are a lot of OSVR's out there - but mainly in our sector.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • deep.b.janideep.b.jani Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    amazing
  • eloquencemotion23eloquencemotion23 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    A prediction....we will continue to discuss future hardware while the current hardware has no real killer apps.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,718 Valuable Player
    A prediction....we will continue to discuss future hardware while the current hardware has no real killer apps.

This generation of HMDs have several killer apps:

Elite Dangerous
    DCS World
    Echo Arena
    Lone Echo
    Project Cars
    DiRT Rally
    Onward

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,748 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    snowdog said:

Elite Dangerous
    DCS World
    Echo Arena
    Lone Echo
    Project Cars
    DiRT Rally
    Onward

I would add IL-2 by 1CGS to that list as well. It has great VR support and I have logged no telling how many hours in it already. I fly it almost daily.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,009 Valuable Player
    Yes Il-2 is a killer app if you sim and put the time into this

I own all the dlc now it is such a thrill in VR i always get a larger amount of immersion then most titles. Dogfighting is amazing i always end a sortie feeling i actually did

No killer app though.....mmmmm seems so dec 2015 now
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,731 Valuable Player
    I like it better when my apps don't kill me.

har har
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    snowdog said:

Elite Dangerous
    DCS World
    Echo Arena
    Lone Echo
    Project Cars
    DiRT Rally
    Onward

Many of these games are really for sim enthusiasts & to get the best out of them you should really using the right gear IMO. So yeah sims work really well in VR but they are not the most accessible genre. Lone Echo was decent but as a game it was pretty boring at times requiring you to do menial repetitive tasks. Echo Arena is great but again not so accessible to those  that approach it on a casual basis. I think Onward is similar but has a better community & at least the beginner can practice against Ai. If onward had the polish of Lone Echo then maybe we would have a killer app. Aren't the Lone echo guys working on a FPS? This would potentially be it if so.   
    But for now i agree with eloquencemotion23  the made for VR games are still lacking they are maybe 80% killer apps & is just gonna take much more time imo before our minds are blown. 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,735 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Razor have already had a crack at it. But like early Pimax headsets it’s wasnt Lighthouse compatible. 

Considering how bad their mice and headphones have become I wont go anywhere near anything Razor.
    WAAAGH!
    Razor has gone down the pooper?? When did this happen?
     :'( 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Haven't been on here for a while! Recently just got back into VR after a long hiatus. I'm really digging the new HOME and Lone Echo just blew me away ... (Touch changed everything for me in VR). I got bored of VR pre Touch ... but now it gave it a new lease on life.

I agree with OP's predictions, but 2020 seems a bit far out for me. I'm hopeful for 2019. 

All I need now is better optics (no glare and a much better FOV) and higher res screens ...  
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Really awesome to see you back, LZ!

Stop taking long breaks. Thanks in advance.
    I'd also add SuperHOT VR, Dreadhalls and Robo Recall to that list too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Since both of my former predictions have already come thru, heres a new one.

As already stated several times in this thread I also predict CV2 to be announced sooner than later.
     All the work being put into the oculus rift software is definately an indicator of this, not to mention these two articles:
    https://www.vrandfun.com/oculus-jason-rubin-rift-still-top-priority-multi-million-dollar-rift-titles/

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/01/has-facebook-given-up-on-oculus-rift/
    Be good, die great !
  • JibrilteaJibriltea Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 2018
    Regarding the Pimax 8k headset, I don't think anyone seriously expects it to play native 4K (it is "4K per eye = 8K", which is kinda marketing bull, but whatever) in VR with current GPUs.

I predict that upscaling content to those 4K displays will be a good solution for screendoor effect in the short term (which is caused by the visible space between pixels, not the resolution itself), and in the long term, be a "future proof" HMD that can play games at native 4K once the hardware to do so shows up.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,349 Valuable Player
    Jibriltea said:
    Regarding the Pimax 8k headset, I don't think anyone seriously expects it to play native 4K (it is "4K per eye = 8K", which is kinda marketing bull, but whatever) in VR with current GPUs.
    Agreed.  It's like watercooling radiators being called 280mm when that is completely wrong.  Its a DUAL 140MM.
  • calonoscalonos Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yes, VR is trend of 2018 (like in 2016 and in 2017 :)

Why VR is in trend?

Despite some shortcomings, modern mobile headsets and smartphones are rather powerful to provide you with a fancy VR adventure. Moreover, figures tell for themselves: Google sold more than 10 million of Google Cardboard glasses in the first half of 2017. As for Samsung, it sold almost 800K of Gear VR headsets within the same period. 
    It means that people are interested in the further development of VR technology. Online stores represent numerous headsets and glasses. It proves the popularity of VR technology among modern users.
  • HeliRiderHeliRider Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My Predictions for 2018:
    1. VR still can't support AAA titles yet. 
    2. VR is growing, but most people write it off until they try it so that means more people need to experience it.
    3. A lot of people will continue to have bad VR experiences with poor equipment and write it off.
    4. People are confused about the number of VR options right now
    My suggestion is to actively share VR with your friends.

My recommendations for initiating the new VR user:

1. Start them off with "The Climb" just because it is an impressive first VR experience. All are blown away with the detail and the sense of vertigo, but it doesn't make them sick. 

2. Next put them in "Robo Recall".  This is THE crowd favorite. Everyone gets a real kick out of it and it doesn't make them sick.

3. Always save the car racing / flight games until the very end. That frequently takes people completely out of commission. 

What happens next is people fall into 2 camps.  Some are willing to put in the time to get their VR legs, because they want to play the intense titles, the others decide that they only wanted to play games that were not "Intense".  However most people think that they may be interested in getting a VR system after they experience it.

I love Dirt Rally and Eve Valkyrie. They are my absolute favorites, but if you have people try these titles out at a trade show, people are going to get sick and that is what they will remember about VR. That makes it hard for companies to make really cool content like this. 
    I always go for Dreamdeck followed by First Contact. Then Robo Recall, Space Pirate Trainer, TheBlu and Google Earth.

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,136
    Wintermute
    edited January 2018
    People have a very strong feeling of presence and a very soft but still amazing experience, with no Touch involved as a start, with simple experience like the Petit Prince (the Rose and I) or Dream number 1, so that's with that I start demoing. Dear Angelica also but I tried to launch it yesterday and it didn't start (long time no run). Need to test again. For hand First Contact still the must for starter IMHO.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Yup, that's why I always go for Dreamdeck first. It's worth doing that just to see reactions to the Skyscraper and T-Rex scenes.

I go for Dreamdeck first as well.  As usual the more common response to the skyscraper is a scream and them falling to their knees.....even though I do ware them about it.  Still hilarious.

Next time its gonna be Richies Plank Experience.  :smiley:
    Yup, I asked my mate how good he was with heights before I put him in Dreamdeck. He said he was okayish with them but started to freak out a bit when that scene appeared so he pressed the A button pretty sharpish lol :D

snowdog said:
    Yup, I asked my mate how good he was with heights before I put him in Dreamdeck. He said he was okayish with them but started to freak out a bit when that scene appeared so he pressed the A button pretty sharpish lol :D
    My mum literally screamed "You HITLER!" when the T_Rex was approaching and I wouldn't let her take the HMD off her head, she was on the floor cowering. (She's an older Polish woman in her 60's)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Zenbane said:
    My mum literally screamed "You HITLER!" when the T_Rex was approaching and I wouldn't let her take the HMD off her head, she was on the floor cowering. (She's an older Polish woman in her 60's)

oh my god wow GIF by 9Now

Why did you say YOU HITLER because of a T-Rex?  I dont understand that....
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    I don't know if this is a prediction or a desire, but it seems to me that any action on a VR keyboard is just a slow faff. If VR is our future of interaction with chat rooms, desktop apps, etc, then lets move forward with a reliable speech to text input system. With phone and home assistants it has been shown that near perfect recognition is available, so it can't be too much of a stretch to build that into our VR interactions.

As for wether the mics of current generation VR systems are up to snuff quality wise I do not know, but having typed out a few sentences in a chat room recently through Dash desktop, my next response was after whipping off the headset and replying on the PC.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    This thread is at best childish for trying to influence Awards and sour to the Pimax competition.
    My predictions are:
    Oculus Wireless 4k
    Oculus get sued for something and settle out of court
    Drones get extended battery life and come into delivery service
    WW3 breaks out but not nuclear and cause world market crash
    By 2019 we are left with legacy tech as factories close down and export/import cease
This discussion has been closed.