New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

HTC Launch Vive Pro - Bundle £1299

Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
edited April 23 in General

Wins Engadgets Best Gaming Product at CES 2018

VIVE PRO SPECS

• Unprecedented presence with Hi-Res and 3D spatial audio
  • Stay immersed comfortably with higher display resolution, easy-to-use headset & cable design, and improved ergonomics
  • Chaperone technology
  • Free to move around wirelessly with VIVE Wireless Adapter*
  • *VIVE Wireless Adapter sold separately.

Headset Specs

Screen: Dual AMOLED 3.5" diagonal
Resolution: 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined)
Refresh rate: 90 Hz
Field of view: 110 degrees
Audio: Hi-Res certificate headset
Hi-Res certificate headphone (removable)
High impedance headphone support
Input: Integrated microphones
Connections: USB-C 3.0, DP 1.2, Bluetooth
Sensors: SteamVR Tracking, G-sensor, gyroscope, proximity, IPD sensor
Ergonomics: Eye relief with lens distance adjustment
Adjustable IPD
Adjustable headphone
Adjustable headstrap

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,379 Valuable Player
    1.5?  What does that mean?
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    1.5?  What does that mean?
    Half way between 1 and 2 lol
    edited January 5
    Will they finally be selling them new controllers and lighthouses?  I thought they were coming out ages ago - or are they already out?

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/43833/new-vive-controllers-and-base-stations-in-2017/p1
  • LukeRossLukeRoss Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    The teaser image seems to suggest better lenses, with reduced loss of focus around the edges. If that is true, even a small improvement could make a big difference in usability and immersion.

Personally, after so many months using the CV1, I must say that I no longer "see" the SDE in the center unless I'm consciously thinking of it (or if I'm trying to read small text), while the blurriness and the god rays are still somewhat annoying.
    Hey, did you check out my VR conversion of No One Lives Forever 2?
    edited January 5
    Definately higher resolution screens, new lens's and BS 2.0.

Maybe bigger 110-120FOV
    Maybe new controllers.
    Maybe new price point.

Guess we have to wait 3 days to find out the detail.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 649
    Neo
    edited January 5
    And will it be a free upgrade for current Vive sufferers users?
    Better be, or I will feel microrubbed or facebooked once again.
    So, that why the discount happened. And I who thought they just wanted to take the lead over vive.

Yeah, know its to easy to say what it actuall means. But having had my rift now for only 3weeks, part of me thinks I should have waited with buying it. Oh, thebloody fear of the unknown. :D

EDIT: Im an idiot, dont know how I came to think this was about the rift. Vive can hold their crap to themself.
    Be good, die great !
    And will it be a free upgrade for current Vive sufferers users?
    I'm 99% sure there won't be. Maybe HTC will sell the new headset alone for £300.
    Atmos73 said:

Maybe bigger 110-120FOV
    Maybe new controllers.
    Maybe new price point.

120 FOV, new "touch-like" controllers, better clarity and higher res + good price = it will be difficult to resist.
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,027
    3Jane
    edited January 5
    Atmos73 said:

Maybe bigger 110-120FOV
    Maybe new controllers.
    Maybe new price point.

120 FOV, new "touch-like" controllers, better clarity and higher res + good price = it will be difficult to resist.
    So they finally make the vive slightly better then the Rift, took them a while ain't it. Doubt it will safe HTC from the financial issues they are in though.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,736 Valuable Player

A resolution increase (2 x 1440 × 1600) is likely to be the main difference but I'm not sure where the FOV increase thing is coming from as I haven't seen any rumours of that (I haven't looked that hard to be fair).

The other likely is the optics change which is supposed to make it a little cheaper to produce and help it compete with the Rift on price.

In all honesty, improvement and competition is good for Oculus users for the usual obvious reasons. Personally I'm on a 3 year upgrade cycle for graphics cards and HMDs so big upgrades rather than incremental ones are what I'm looking forward to.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1803 (17134.165)
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 649
    Neo
    Before I decided to go with the rift, I tried out vive also several times at a friends house.
    To me, vive do have slightly better optics, but supersampling equals that out on the rift.
    What I found most annoying with vive was the weight / positioning of the hmd and the controllers seemed to react slower than touch.

Unless vive have some big improvements, I dont think they are gonna get much further into the market.
    On the other hand sooo many "big" streamers on Twitch are getting vive to play vrchat ( honestly dont know if vive are giving them away to them).  Impact of that however, is that so many viewers want to buy vive cause the streamer use them ...
    Hope rift get in the game as im pretty sure ive seen at least 1000 units of vive getting sold from the few hours ive been watching vrchat streams.
    Be good, die great !
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 4,700 Power Poster
    Probably a mistake from HTC unless they can get the price down to 500 notes. They would be better off bringing the price of the current Vive down, keeping the resolution as it is, adding the Knuckles controllers and have the Deluxe Audio Strap built-in.

Upping the resolution is just going to add to the manufacturing costs and later this year the Pimax will be either on a par with or superior to the Vive 1.5 and the same with the Rift CV2 next year.

Unless they have 2 x 4K displays and foveated rendering sorted out it's not going to do well in a year or two.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    3Jane
    I think with Nvidia Volta gpu's later this year and new headsets from Oculus and maybe Vive in 2019 will boost it all more then doing incremental upgrades like Vive 1.5. I'm skeptical about the Pimax though, I don't think 8K VR is achievable yet.

I'm skeptical about the Pimax though, I don't think 8K VR is achievable yet.
    Native 8k isn't with out Foveted rendering anyway. Pimax 8k has a built in scaler to flesh out the full panel so you still get the advantage of the 16mp panel.
    3Jane
    Atmos73 said:
     I'm skeptical about the Pimax though, I don't think 8K VR is achievable yet.
    Native 8k isn't with out Foveted rendering anyway. Pimax 8k has a built in scaler to flesh out the full panel so you still get the advantage of the 16mp panel.
    Their Main sell is native 8K though. I know they scale if needed but even so.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,777
    Project 2501
    I wonder if this is a positioning decision to be able to distance themselves from Pimax and StarVR media pushes. All this before the new controller from HTC are launched or the new LG HMD system.

The question, will OVR continue to support the standard CV1 or if they have a CV1.2. in the wings... or just push through with a CV2 in 2019?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    I wonder if this is a positioning decision to be able to distance themselves from Pimax and StarVR media pushes. All this before the new controller from HTC are launched or the new LG HMD system.

The question, will OVR continue to support the standard CV1 or if they have a CV1.2. in the wings... or just push through with a CV2 in 2019?
    Yes time will tell. If they do not we will all be on a primax or vive 2.0 or some other model that ticks enthusiast boxes.

I have always have the simple view though of if they went to so much trouble buildding a store and all the support around it to abandon it for another platform,does not sit correct with me in predicting a cv2 or whatever that may be called.

Oculus does have to maintain its player base loyalty though to keep everyone here, as good as cv1 has been.
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,022 Power Poster
    Launch not the same as reveal... Interesting news anyhow and if a significant improvement over the original then colour me interested.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Project 2501
    vannagirl said:
    Oculus does have to maintain its player base loyalty though to keep everyone here, as good as cv1 has been.

Wholeheartedly agree that OVR has a loyal player base. And that this is a key factor in driving their product placement, and also driving the VR community as a whole. Much ow whom would be willing to wait for a 2019 release than get into a belated war of catchup with HTC...again.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    vannagirl said:

Wholeheartedly agree that OVR has a loyal player base. And that this is a key factor in driving their product placement, and also driving the VR community as a whole. Much ow whom would be willing to wait for a 2019 release than get into a belated war of catchup with HTC...again.

All true, but as i said above, if the wishlist is completed, it'll be very difficult to resist.  I'm now tied in with Oculus, i've got a tonne of games and i'm super comfortable with my Rift.

BUT, i'm a guy who paid about £550 for a DK1, took a day off to hit F5 for a DK2 and bought 2 Gear VRs - VR is advancing so much i always want to see how good the next version will be.

If that wishlist is completed by HTC, Oculus do need to assure me that i won't have to wait too long!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,367 Volunteer Moderator

BUT, i'm a guy who paid about £550 for a DK1
    Ouch.
    kojack said:

BUT, i'm a guy who paid about £550 for a DK1
    Ouch.

Indeed.
    Project 2501
    Hiro_Protag0nist said:
    BUT, i'm a guy who paid about £550 for a DK1, took a day off to hit F5 for a DK2 and bought 2 Gear VRs - VR is advancing so much i always want to see how good the next version will be.

If that wishlist is completed by HTC, Oculus do need to assure me that i won't have to wait too long!

I always thought the previous management at OVR underestimated the loyalty of their core userbase - there was a little bit of dismissal of the core users by some - while chasing the mainstream. Especially after that infamous AMA and debacle of the launch stunt and backlash. It is part of the reason that the ex-founder now avoid communicating through the VR community - feeling they let him down!

Wow, you are definitely one of the hardcore supporters - I remember how proudly some carried their DK1 cases round the various meetups in 2013.

The real question is has that loyalty been squandered by the "quiet treatment" dished out recently, and the possibility of a drought of new developments till 2019?

The rush for TOUCH to compete with HTC's roomscale was always an uncomfortable and unseemly admittance of playing catchup - after poking fun at the "expensive" HTC VR system and claiming that everyone only wanted to use VR sitting down, to then rush to launch TOUCH and all the two or three sensor issues and counterclaims, just did not sit well from a company with such a loyal following - trying to dictate how they should appreciate their product.

OVR has decided that they feel that OC5 is were the new developments are shown (along with smaller showing at the FB event), so CES is not important anymore - compared with the previous management's vast posturing at the event. That could mean that OVR will always be playing catchup to developments shown at CES/SteamDay - or they will take the path of ignoring any developments and plough their own course (ala Apple, but without the same installed base).
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 11,389 Power Poster
    edited January 6
    There are some things that Oculus played "catch up" with when it comes to HTC. But after the first year the role reversal took place. HTC has been trying to drop the price of the Vive as it plays "catchup" with the Rifts pricepoint. There has also been a very lengthy delay with the Knuckle Controllers as they try to play "catchup" with the superior "finger control" that Oculus Touch provides.

The organizations will likely continue to play "leap frog," as most good competitors do. There has not been a scenario where the act of playing catch-up has been one-sided.

Well except for maybe Microsoft. They are definitely playing catch-up.

There also has been no "quiet treatment" of Facebook nor Oculus to its consumers. Multiple releases for Rift owners have been announced and discussed at length. Content and ongoing support for Rift owners is always at the forefront of Oculus news (just look at the new Oculus Home environment).

The lack of a CV2 announcement should not be portrayed as some sort of jaded scenario. Those of us who own a Rift should be well aware of all the ongoing innovations being provided by both Facebook and Oculus on a near monthly basis.

These innovations come in the form of software content, for both VR Experiences and the OVR Platform itself. It is this very reason that Oculus has been gaining market share over its competitors globally.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    When should this be confirmed?  Are they having a presentation?

Anybody from the forum attending CES?
    1pm PST
    Cheers Atmos.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,022 Power Poster
    Apparently:

After the announcement at the weekend follows now as expected the official press release: HTC announces its new headset Vive Pro , which wants to shine with a higher resolution and integrated loudspeakers. There is also a new Vive wireless adapter .

Vive Pro: Update 1.5 with 3K and speakers

Those looking for a completely new model may be disappointed - but the Vive Pro offers a welcome update - the original HTC Vive remains in the program. The Vive Pro has two OLED displays with a common resolution of 2880 x 1600 pixels, which makes it similar to the Vive Focus from the same company. Overall, the new headset has thus increased by 78 percent resolution and should achieve a much sharper and clearer presentation. For comparison: The "normal" HTC Vive offers 2160 x 1200 pixels.

A welcome innovation is the integration of speakers, which should increase the comfort significantly. Owners of the old model had to resort to the Deluxe Audio Strap , which should be superfluous in the Vive Pro now. HTC intends to provide information on the availability and price of the new VR headset later.

In addition, the manufacturer announces the Vive Wireless Adapter for the HTC Vive and HTC Vive Pro , with which you can connect the headset without a cable to the PC. The adapter uses Intel's WiGig technology, unlike TPCast , but you have to be patient for a while. Only in the third quarter of 2018 should the adapter come on the market. Open and exciting the price remains: Although TPCast for the first HTC Vive available, but for around 350 € anything but a bargain. Whether the Vive Wireless Adapter can position itself here as a price-breaker remains to be seen. Whether TPCast with the HTC Vive Pro without (too) large latency problems or even works remains to be seen.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Some say it’s the same dual 3.5-inch AMOLED displays as the Samsung Odyssey which is quoted as having stunning image quality.

Each eye has a 1,440 x 1,600 resolution = 4.6MP Total v Vive 2.6MP. That’s 77% more pixels.