Console Gamer new to pc and oculus need help with making games run without any stutter. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Console Gamer new to pc and oculus need help with making games run without any stutter.

mikeVR46mikeVR46 Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hello. I am new to pc gaming and previously had a ps pro with psvr but once GT came out with the piss poor Vr I knew it was time to bite the bullet and get a gaming pc. 
My problem is whilst trying to play outward or Arizona sunshine all I get is stutter and makes both games virtually unplayable. Is there any setting I can use to make the oculus run right as I'm about at my wits end and have come close to smashing it all up. For my sanity please help a noob before I go crazy. My god are PC's complicated.
I'm running an intel i5
8G ram
NVidia 1060 with zotac ( what zotac is I've not a Scooby)
H110M-R Motherboard 
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    What i5 do you have and is your GTX 1060 the 3GB or 6GB model?
  • mikeVR46mikeVR46 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 2018
    i5-7400 CPU @ 3.000Hz
    1060 3gb 
    I managed to get Arizona Sunshine working perfectly last night but today when I launched the Oculus app it just says
    "Cant Reach Oculus Runtime Service"
    "Your Oculus software may be updating please wait a minute and try again. if the issue continues, contact Oculus support"
    I was blown away last night but now back to wanting to destroy it all. Say what you like about consoles but man are they easier and better for your health. I miss my PSVR's plug and play-ability.

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    Sounds like you just need to wait for an update to finish or restart the system. I occasionally get that message but it's rare. As for why things are chugging at times, you have the absolute bare minimum system required to play VR games. I know your system looks like the "recommended" spec, but unfortunately that spec isn't very honest. I typically advise those looking into getting a VR headset to get nothing less than a GTX 1060 6GB or an RX 480/580 8GB. That's the "real" minimum spec for most games in VR.

That said, if it was chugging one day and not the next, my guess is something was going on in the background. Might have been a windows update or something along those lines. The low end i5's can generally run games well or do system updates, but they struggle doing both at the same time. Microsoft has been pumping out a lot of security updates this past week due to Intel security flaws, as I'm sure you've heard. But that's just a guess as to why tbh. It could be any background task causing problems (virus scanner, updates to other software, bloatware on mass produced PC's).