Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with display since 01/05/2018

Alexkidd62
Explorer
Hello everyone,

First sorry for my english it's not my native language 🙂

I'm searching for clue since 01/05/2018 when I've noticed that my rift looks like it is no more working properly.
What is my problem? Pretty simple just after a room scale session I've decided to go back to my desk in order to set back my sensor up on it just in front of me.
So I've first noticed something weird like a "dirty screen" when I was setting up the thing (oculus sensor setup / black and blue mixed colors) and I didn't pay too much attention at this time. Then I've played Project cars for an hour or so.

My brother told me that "IT trailer was insane on VR (PSVR)" so I have to find out a way to take a look at this and decided to install the youtube APP from steam.

As soon as the video started I was pretty confident that something was wrong with the dark / black color like if my lens were dirty. (before playing project cars i cleaned them), sunddenly I was affraid Iv'e broken the lens by cleaning them. (I use Microfiber + few drop of demineralized water avoiding leaving).

So... what does it looks like... well to give you an idea by testing the APP Ghost in the shell (pure black intro) it's like the halley's comet as crossed both my screens leaving white/grey particules all over the place. Top and bottom seems more darker than the center of the screen like a wave of grey / white pixel and this is moving with my head (Mura effect from what i've read).

After some research I found out this issue might be connected to SPUD / Mura effect (confirmed by disabling the SPUD). But people that are having this issue do also have it from start unlike me. The display was perfect on 12/26/2017 when I bought it.

Now what is my thought about this.. disabling SPUD is not the solution to me because it makes color banding obvious and god rays are terrific (but no more mura)

BUT i can't be sure SPUD was enable for me when i bought it somehow (it seems to be ON by default) because it was my first VR experience and Iv'e noticed god ray's from start. I can't tell if they were bad at this time.

So after all this I got 3 solutions and one is unbearable.
- Disabling SPUD and leaving with god rays
- Left SPUD ON and leave with Mura (... really no way in dark scene in games like Wilson's heart which I've finished before the problem occur I only see the mura and can't focus on anything else)
- RMA it.. since I bought it at a retailler i know here in france the will exchange it but should I? seems people that got an exchange still have the issue with a new one.

I've opened a ticket and the answer left me.. without any voice. like.. what if you buy a car with brake assist and you know it works because it saved you one time and then suddenly that don't work anymore you decided to pull out the fuse and can still brake. You go to the garage and tell the mecanician about the problem. What if he answer you... "Hey you did pull out the fuse? It's still brake? so everything's fine!!!" (and this with a big smile on his face...)

Hello,

Reproduced the exact same behavior than this person (see the link below)

This behavior appear on January 5 at more or less 21 or 22 PM CEST
Tried to fix that over the weekend and noticed that after finishing a roomscale sesssion going back to setup the sensors on my desk for a Project cars session.

1 - Tried to reinstall oculus app.... No go
2 - Searching online tried to turn Spud OFF (regedit) : OK fixed
3 - Spud turned on again (it's on by default) : Still No go after reboot
4 - Searching online and found the post above confirmed working but temporary fix, result in the app ghost in the shell in a barely visible distorted spheric thing and problem seems to have disapered over most APP
5 - After rebooting computer problem is back "mashed file is modified" (changing date proove it)

Note tested APP : Ghost in the shell experience
Result : Intro scene get a grey filter/constellation/milkyway moving with the head like a dirt lens (unwatchable)

I don't see why suddenly Spud won't work anymore since it seems to be ON by default and there was not any kind of issue since 26 December.

So before contacting the retailer "FNAC France" I've decided to contact the oculus support since to me it's not a hardware failure I doubt getting a new one will fix the issue. The problem seems to touch randomly many people as far as i can tell over internet.

Thks in advance for answering me and giving me clue on that issue and what should I do (going back to where i buy it or not)
Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXXX

First answer to this was quick but not what I was expecting.

"Disabling SPUD is what we advice people to do in order to deal with this particular issue".

Now.... I wan't my SPUD back!!

What do you think and what would you do?

Best regard, AlexKidd62.

1 REPLY 1

Alexkidd62
Explorer
Plz delete this thread "double post running" Thank you plz refer to this thread https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61030/issue-with-display-spud-since-01-05-2018#late...