Read first before purchasing the Oculus rift. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Read first before purchasing the Oculus rift.

obtainrobtainr Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi All,

Just a heads up for people when purchasing a rift bundle on ebay or any other third party vendor.

Do not buy it from vendors or any other resellers unless they are certain and guarantee that it has never been used or registered before.
Reasons being -

#1 If you are missing anything or something happens Oculus will tell you to go back to the vendor and not give you any help what so ever.

#2 You will be screwed if something breaks down even within the warranty period. Unlike Apple or Samsung products such as the Samsung Odyssey mixed reality
headsets where warranty is really simple and streamlined that they base it upon the hardware id/serial number. Even if the Samsung breaks they will cover you no matter where and who you purchased it from. With oculus you can kiss your product goodbye if the reseller is no longer there. ONLY BUY from official Oculus store!!!

#3 The free games that are given to you, are linked to the person who first used the hardware linked to their oculus username, so if it was a demo or something and they used it once to register it, you cannot redeem the free games even though you are the person with the hardware, all their sensors and hardware have a serial number and oculus knows who is currently using what device with what username Oculus will advise you to ask the original reseller to supply a verification stating they no longer want the free games linked to their account even though they no longer have that device/hardware. That is if the original seller can still be found and responds to you. So if you can save $50-$100 you are better off buying it from the official Oculus store. The prices of the games is well worth over $100 and knowing the fact that warranty might vanish with the seller is definitely not worth it do not buy it from Ebay. or third party vendors. 

Hope this helps some people I learnt the hard way stupid me.

Thanks All,

Happy Reality

Comments

• escapppeescapppe Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2018
    you got it wrong.

as long as the purchased unit does not fulfil the contractual conditions (e. g. missing parts or defective individual parts) the seller is liable. He has made this contract with you and must fulfill it.

Once the purchase has been processed and you have identified your goods as free of defects at the time of purchase, the seller will be released from his obligation to you.

Accordingly, only the manufacturer (the latter may have contracts with your seller, but does not have to) is liable for the warranty. If Oculus does not do this, you should file a written complaint as usual and threaten to enforce your claim in court. Of course, only if you are entitled to do so and the seller has been released from his obligation to deliver faultless goods at the time of purchase.

And as always keep in mind: buying anything on ebay from an untrusted shop or private is always bound to risk.

on ebay the main rules are:
    • read carefully the description.
    • if you have questions aks them before buying.
    • if the price seems to good there is mostly a catch
    • always pay with paypal
    • most sold goods are in used condition even when not clearly stated as this
    • games and keys that are bound to accounts are not resellable
    • if you buy from a legit shop you always get an invoice - if not its not a legit shop
    If your rift is sold as the touch bundle (explicity written) WITH games, force the shop to deliver what you paid for or ask for a moneyrefund in the height of the game prices... If they dont want or do not react, just sent them the rift back and force paypal to refund you all the money.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,807 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    Ok, so don't expect a warranty on used items, and the free perks only go to the original purchaser at the time of sale on the original purchase.  So it's business as usual and there's no news to report.  Got it, thanks.  So it means that apparently Apple/Samsung have transferrable warranties whereas Oculus does not.  It makes sense, Cell phones are a dime a dozen and this is not.

The moral of the story is if you want to save a nickle and get something cheaper because it's used, it won't have everything a new set would come with, Usually that includes the warranty.  Most people already know this.

I'm surprised you haven't taken advantage of eBay's ridiculously one sided screw the seller policy.  I won't educate you, but they offer substantial recourse provided limits haven't been passed.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,807 Valuable Player
    escapppe said:
    you got it wrong.

as long as the purchased unit does not fulfil the contractual conditions (e. g. missing parts or defective individual parts) the seller is liable. He has made this contract with you and must fulfill it.

Once the purchase has been processed and you have identified your goods as free of defects at the time of purchase, the seller will be released from his obligation to you.

Accordingly, only the manufacturer (the latter may have contracts with your seller, but does not have to) is liable for the warranty. If Oculus does not do this, you should file a written complaint as usual and threaten to enforce your claim in court. Of course, only if you are entitled to do so and the seller has been released from his obligation to deliver faultless goods at the time of purchase.

And as always keep in mind: buying anything on ebay from an untrusted shop or private is always bound to risk.

on ebay the main rules are:
    • read carefully the description.
    • if you have questions aks them before buying.
    • if the price seems to good there is mostly a catch
    • always pay with paypal
    • most sold goods are in used condition even when not clearly stated as this
    • games and keys that are bound to accounts are not resellable
    • if you buy from a legit shop you always get an invoice - if not its not a legit shop
    If your rift is sold as the touch bundle (explicity written) WITH games, force the shop to deliver what you paid for or ask for a moneyrefund in the height of the game prices... If they dont want or do not react, just sent them the rift back and force paypal to refund you all the money.

Have you ever sold anything on eBay?

Read description - Not required, buyer can just file complaint and seller has no recourse
    Ask questions first - or don't, see above
    If price is too good - It's most likely some sort of scam and they'll try to get you to do an offsite transaction
    Always pay with paypal - You have practically no other option now
    Most goods are used - Not surprising on a site who's origins are in used items from your attic
    Games and Keys bound to accounts are not resellable - Yes and these are not allowed to be sold on ebay, but they get listed
    If you buy from a legit shop you always get an invoice - if not it's not a legit shop - That's nonsense based on absolute assumption.

So your answer is to say "Fuck it" and pack the item up in the package and send it back to the return address then force a return?  Why not follow the procedures in place and file the claim that would do the same thing and insure it's all official in their records.  If you just sent it back, they could decide to say "That wasn't an authorized return, no refund"  They is Paypal, not the seller.

I'm sorry if I sound upset, but I am a seller on that site and their policies are one sided for buyers, you could scam a seller easily on that site.  Ebay without a doubt is the venue with the absolute worst buyers.  But that's because ebay's money back guarantee which is NO different than anywhere else, is plastered everywhere on the site and gives the implication that all sellers are shady, but not to worry because big momma ebay's got your back.  I would never sell a rift on ebay because if this scenerio happened to the buyer, all he has to do is file a claim and I have to take it back.  I also don't trust sellers selling rifts because dollars to donuts they have no selling history and I'd be willing to bet their warranty is already expired and there's more than likely an issue with HDMI disconnects on the unit.  If the seller has no history, I would never buy a Rift from them.  Not because I'd lose money, but because I'd have to go through the claims process to force a refund from the seller.

How much are you saving on an item that's already now down to $399 new?
  • RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    #2 is right... my right headphone died (common fault with a 5min search here), but because I bought off Amazon (when Oculus wasn't supplying to Australia) I had to go through Amazon for warranty replacement process...
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 933
    3Jane
    I bought a replacement Rift on eBay when my original equipment wore out out of warranty because Oculus does NOT offer a replacement path where you can buy just the headset. I purchased a third-party warranty with it which is supposed to cover replacement within the warranty period. Fortunately, when I log into my account it shows two serial numbers registered to me so my replacement Rift must have indeed been new and unused. 
  • escapppeescapppe Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I'm just not sure why you're so mad.

What I wanted to tell you and the readers: Oculus has a duty to keep the goods in good condition as long as they are legally obliged to do so. Of course, this can only be the case if an invoice is submitted by a commercial seller. How else would a company determine the actual date of purchase? This also applies to used articles from private sale as long as the invoice was handed over from the original commercial purchase. This applies to all manufacturers, including Samsung and the others. I was never given a guarantee if the invoice was not presented. Business as usual.

Regarding ebay:
    Especially on the ebay platform you should be very careful. As a buyer, you should keep a distance from dubious one person companies, it is not worthwhile to save the few percent at the retail price.
    I'm not saying that there is no serious one-person business, only the risk of being cheated is much higher than elsewhere. The same applies of course to the mentality of the buyers... On Ebay you often have the feeling that you are at a funfair or garagesale

At the end, all I have to say is
    Oculus, like any other large company, is just a huge machine that wants to drive maximum profit / turnover and only cares about the consumers and warranty because it is required by law. There is no gift here and in an emergency, you have to claim your rights in court.