cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Other Suns: Free Weekend, and Beyond

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I have yet to purchase From Other Suns, but it has remained at the top of my list.

The last free weekend I enjoyed was Archangel - which I ended up buying and beating. I am really excited to see From Other Suns added to the Free Weekend list. As someone who has been using the Rift since its release in 2016, I have to say that it is very impressive that Facebook-Oculus have continued to provide high-end VR experiences "for free." Whether it be permanently free, or just free for a few days... a really great way to reward those who are spending money on high-end VR.

Anyway... is anyone interested in getting some multiplayer action going over the Free Weekend?

EDIT #1:
The Free Weekend ended, but several members of the community have since purchased the game. Feel free to use this thread to discuss tactics and coordinate Multiplayer gatherings.

EDIT #2:
Adding a Tips & Tricks section for those trying to get back to Earth successfully.

Achievements
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7e3qbw/from_other_suns_achievement_rewards/

General Tips

1. Have a plan, and upgrade accordingly.
  2. Don't rush; strategize each attack and take breaks as needed.
  3. If you don't plan to upgrade your ship's combat ability, then keep lots of money on-hand for pay-offs.
  4. Hacking is the key to resource management, and resource are crucial to getting back to Earth. Do as many "Droid" missions as you can, because they have the higher chance of droping Hacker Modules, which can range from Level 1 to Level 5. The closer you get to Earth, the higher level requirement for Hacker Modules. But it's worth it!

Ship Survival Tips
  1. Get your shields up to level 3 as a minimum. When you are attacked by strong pirates, level 3+ Shields gives you time to lock on to their ship, Teleport in, and kill everyone before they blow you up.
  2. Don't pick a fight unless you know you can win, or you have no other choice (some pirates just attack by default).
  3. With the default Skimmer, it may be best to avoid ship fighting altogether. Just focus on your shields for survivability. Once you get back to Earth, you get a new ship that is a beast in combat. For your Skimmer, just upgrade: Shields (3+); Engine (level 2); Hull (Level 2 or 3)
  4. Keep your crew at max even in single player. Having a full crew lets your ship work slightly above ability (110% ship attributes), and AI Crew members are great in combat in the event that pirates (or even an Alien) board your ship. Also, this gives you infinite lives should you die in combat (you respawn as a Crew member).

Personal Combat Tips

1. Upgrade your ships Medical Bay to Level 5, this is the max. It gives your entire Crew more than double Health. This is invaluable for the later missions where the Robot enemies come in 3's, all highly armored and weaponized.
  2. When entering an enemy ship, activate their Teleporting asap. This lets you port back to your ship to heal, get supplies, etc. Although be careful, enemies can follow you over (an Alien boarded my ship once using this method).
  3. Play standing during combat, since you can do full body movements to avoid getting shot: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge.
  4. Practice accessing your inventory during combat effectively. Being able to use a healing Stim Pack in 1-2 seconds is a winning tact.
  5. Be careful with the single shot Plasma guns, they can blow you up too when in close proximity. They are great for long-range combat and hitting enemies who are behind cover. For all other combat, lean towards the Plasma Homing shots (no splash damage but better accuracy).
  6. Beam Weapons become invaluable during the mid- and late-game. They do less base damage than heavier weapons, but their damage is a constant stream. The beam makes aiming easier... and always aim for the head. Even the strongest of enemies can go down in 1 or 2 beam blasts.

Boss Battle Tips

1. When fighting a Pirate Lord, rush him quickly to avoid dealing with too many spawning support enemies. These bosses are quite easy in single player, but get harder the more people who join your campaign. Go for head shots to end them fast and stop the enemy spawns.
  2. The Titan. This is my least favorite boss, and I often skip this fight. But if you must... he is indestructible and you can only kill him by firing at his exhausts "when they open." You will spend a lot of time hiding behind cover and trying to trick his guns in to opening the exhausts. It can be a daunting task in single player, but may be much easier in multiplayer (one person plays bait while the other hits those exhausts).
  3. The escaping Pirate Ship. In this battle, you must destroy a ship before the pirates escape. There are about 5 glowing energy nodes on the ship. You must shoot each one until they explode. At least 3 of these nodes are on the side of the ship, and 2 are on the top. This is a timed battle so use your map and focus more on the nodes and less on the spawning pirates. Using the Rules of Dodgeball are key to avoiding bullets while shooting nodes.
  4. All other bosses: There are several other boss battles that won't be individually covered here. They each have their patterns, however, the best thing to do is run in-and-out of the "boss room" to regroup as needed. Many boss battles let you escape the room to safety, and the escape area can often be used as a great strategic point for winning.

86 REPLIES 86

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Im for one is gonna try it out for sure ... And it will prolly make me spend money on it afterwards.
 To me, this way of providing users the chance to try out games before buying is a wonderfull way to make me purchase , if I like what im playing.

Missed Raw Data last week unfortunately.
Be good, die great !

wbenjamin1966
Explorer
There is a quick join button in the game, so you'll have no problem joining people.

If it goes well (as in, you like these people), you can add them as Oculus friends, and their games will show up in a list of games you can join.

Or, you can start a public game and let people join you..., just don't let a noob blow up a pirate ship while you're still on it!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a shot this weekend. The game looks good, but I have such a backlog that I didn't get it at launch. I've been looking at it though, and have been reading up on it this week. Roll on Friday!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'll post in this thread when I'm ready to log in for a lengthy session, in case anyone is around that would like to form a party.

Everyone else is welcome to use this thread in the same way. Hopefully we can get a few community adventures going on over the weekend.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
It's a game I've been eyeing but at $40, I'm not willing to take a wild guess as to if its any good or not. Will definitely give it a try if it's free over the weekend.

vannagirl
Consultant
I have been thinking of this game las few days so a free try sounds awesome.

Thanks for the find Zenban, this and jd pretty much is my sat night fixed now. The recent play throughs have looked fun 
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I recommend this game. It's good fun in both single-player and in co-op. Beware the rogue-like tendencies. Sometimes you just have to turn around and get out of there quick.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I just finished the Tutorial and started a new game. I will probably be ready to explore some multiplayer action in about 30 minutes.

I can already tell that this game is going to be a must-buy for me. Which would be the second game I've purchased due to the free weekend (Archangel was the first).

I'm sad I missed the Raw Data free weekend, but I plan to buy that soon anyway.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I did a solo game last night to get in the swing of things. I’ll hop on shortly and see if you’re up for some co-op. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo