More than 4 sensors... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

More than 4 sensors...

elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
edited January 2018 in General
Ok so i recall palmer saying a long ass time ago that 6 sensors are possible.
My question is this, even tho only 4 show up in set up, does the 5th or 6th actually work?
Gonna be getting a silly big play space if my new house purchase ever finally goes through and my intention is to go for it.
But before i splash the cash, will it make any difference?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    Go for 8. Do it.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just got my 3rd and the VR has been flawless since I set it up yesterday.

I can't imagine a use for 4... let alone 6 or 8.

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz
    NZXT Kraken x62 cooler
    MSI Z270 SLI Plus
    EVGA 11GB 1080 Ti FE w/ Hybrid cooler
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 Evo m.2 NvME 1TB x2
    NZXT S340 Elite
    Asus 23.6" 4K IPS
    Rift/Touch VR - 3 sensors

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    Three sensors are plenty for most of us, but boffo is man enough for double that number.  ;)
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    4 should be enough mathematically speaking ... 3 gives you this (approximate) 

This creates good tracking however it does create a small occlusion zone where all 3 red zones overlap in the lower right corner, a 4th sensor would fix that. That's the plan of my current setup.

EDIT: Sensors are roughly at my shoulder height and pointing at down at a 5 Degree tilt.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • shiarishiari Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    4 should be enough mathematically speaking ... 3 gives you this (approximate) 

This creates good tracking however it does create a small occlusion zone where all 3 red zones overlap in the lower right corner, a 4th sensor would fix that. That's the plan of my current setup.

EDIT: Sensors are roughly at my shoulder height and pointing at down at a 5 Degree tilt.
    In reality you're never going to be in that corner (you wouldn't be able to move your arms) but in the center of the space - it's really not an issue. Should however consider raising their height.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited January 2018
    No, only up to 4 can be connected at once. However, I would personally recommend sticking to 3 sensors unless you have a really unique space where 3 sensors are not adequate. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    nothing unique about my rectangular space, i just wanted 4 because of reasons, when i get my new space i was debating more. hey ho
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    elboffor said:
    nothing unique about my rectangular space, i just wanted 4 because of reasons, when i get my new space i was debating more. hey ho

If you buy 150 of them, arrange them in a spherical layout and have them point at one single point in the center you will open the "Rift" where you will find an Easter Egg that will grant you god-like command over all of virtual reality.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    good idea, order placed on amazon.
    if it doesn't work i can return them all for free with a full refund thanks to their no quibble returns policy
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 298
    Nexus 6
    elboffor said:
    good idea, order placed on amazon.
    if it doesn't work i can return them all for free with a full refund thanks to their no quibble returns policy

Ok, fine but if my VR starts messing up all of the sudden, then I get to blame you.
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2018
    No, only up to 4 can be connected at once. However, I would personally recommend sticking to 3 sensors unless you have a really unique space where 3 sensors are not adequate. 

Yeah... as said upthread I just set up my 3rd and can't see a use for a 4th.  I have the "optimal" play area in front of the PC with my 3 sensors mounted to the ceiling... upside down angled towards the center of the play area.  I have an 8 ft ceiling which puts the sensors about 7 ft 2 inches off the floor.

Flawless!
    Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz
    NZXT Kraken x62 cooler
    MSI Z270 SLI Plus
    EVGA 11GB 1080 Ti FE w/ Hybrid cooler
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 Evo m.2 NvME 1TB x2
    NZXT S340 Elite
    Asus 23.6" 4K IPS
    Rift/Touch VR - 3 sensors

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    edited January 2018
    Having more than 3 (or 4 for each corners, but not really recommended) seems useless IMHO. One of the problem if you set E.g. 6 sensors in a circle to expand your playground, is the distance between each sensors and the center of your room. It will not expand sensibility of each sensors, so you could end with a dead zone at the center. Oh and USB bandwidth and usage of CPU raising too could be a problem obviously.

But I'm curious, so yeah, go ahead, and report please ! ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• w_benjaminw_benjamin Posts: 178
    Art3mis
    I have two systems with 3 sensors on each, so I've been planning on trying 6 sensors this summer outside..., 3 in front and three in back lined up in a row to increase the width of the area, or maybe a big circle..., I'm bumming that may not be possible.

I used three outside last year at night, and I had the front two about 8 feet apart, and the back one about sixteen feet back in the center. (that was as far as my cables could go..., this year I'll have active USBs when I try again)

It made Arizona Sunshine crazy as I could wander around areas so much.
    Well as 6 ain't possible ill stick with 4 amd see how far apart i can get em in setup.

Using 3 i did have oclusion issues when facing the one corner without a sensor in my current space, hence why i went for 4 (which works sweet as a nut btw)
  • GudnistarkGudnistark Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I want to see a USB3 plug on the back of the sensors to daisy chain them.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 395
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    I have the 4 sensor setup, in a 10'x10' area, with the cameras mounted on 7' tall stands, and it's completely glitch free. Although 3 are good enough for most, you can still run into a situation where you're standing in the corner without a sensor, unknowingly facing the corner, with your controllers close to the front of your body, or you bend down to pick up an object.. and all 3 cameras will be blocked by your body. If you just want 360 tracking, standing in the center of the room.. 3 will be fine. But for room scale, 4 is definitely the way to go. And definitely use the Sensor Bounds app to see exactly where the beams of each camera are covering.

The 'Oculus Roomscale—Tips for Setting Up a Killer VR Room' page, says the sensors have a distance limitation of 6' for excellent tracking (5.9'), 8' for moderate tracking (7.9'), and a limit of 10' in total (9.9'). 2 cameras in opposite corners, 14' apart, gives an area 10'x10' of high quality tracking. 20' apart gives roughly 14'x14' of decent tracking. The Vive maxes out at 16'x16'.