Need Help - Health ! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Need Help - Health !

WolkrWolkr Posts: 3
NerveGear
Greetings.
Sorry for my bad English :pensive:
I want to buy an oculus rift, but I have my doubts in my health. In my daily life I wear permanent glasses, with a certain increase in my left eye. Is the use of the viewer harmful? please I need honesty, someone uses them with their antennae? the increase of the glasses produces some effect? Thank you

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,018
    Wintermute
    Wolkr said:
    Greetings.
    Sorry for my bad English :pensive:
    I want to buy an oculus rift, but I have my doubts in my health. In my daily life I wear permanent glasses, with a certain increase in my left eye. Is the use of the viewer harmful? please I need honesty, someone uses them with their antennae? the increase of the glasses produces some effect? Thank you
    It is okay to use glasses with the Rift.
    The Rift lenses make everything focus at about 1.5 meters. (not close to your face)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 394
    Nexus 6
    The below is my own musing, not any scientific study.

The VR works so there is no physical contact but the brain registers physical contact in some way. Look at the american game of football, not soccer as the uk calls soccer football, and you see as the player bashes their head over time they get football brain that is really bad. Football brain comes from the brain making physical contact. So it seems the brain making virtual reality equal physical contact can make itself suffer football brain over time, like in the movie the matrix if you die in the matrix you die in real life, same with football brain in VR, you get football brain in VR you get football brain in real life. So you need to tamper down the amount of physical activity you do in VR, its not free as far as taking no physical injury is concerned.

For somebody feeble you might want to not use the VR for anything really like football, more like car racing or ping pong.

I predict over a decade or so people who play VR roughly like real life football will start to get things like Gord Downey got, brain cancer, from all the trauma he did by bobbing his head constantly while singing. While people who were less physical in VR stay healthy, so there will be no direct measurable correlation between VR and cancer of the brain.

So is VR totally safe, no, but it can be an enjoyable activity taken in moderation.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,018
    Wintermute

The VR works so there is no physical contact but the brain registers physical contact in some way. Look at the american game of football, not soccer as the uk calls soccer football, and you see as the player bashes their head over time they get football brain that is really bad. Football brain comes from the brain making physical contact. So it seems the brain making virtual reality equal physical contact can make itself suffer football brain over time, like in the movie the matrix if you die in the matrix you die in real life, same with football brain in VR, you get football brain in VR you get football brain in real life. So you need to tamper down the amount of physical activity you do in VR, its not free as far as taking no physical injury is concerned.

For somebody feeble you might want to not use the VR for anything really like football, more like car racing or ping pong.

I predict over a decade or so people who play VR roughly like real life football will start to get things like Gord Downey got, brain cancer, from all the trauma he did by bobbing his head constantly while singing. While people who were less physical in VR stay healthy, so there will be no direct measurable correlation between VR and cancer of the brain.

So is VR totally safe, no, but it can be an enjoyable activity taken in moderation.

What??
    Why wasn't there a warning on the box about "football brain" and cancer?
    Does this mean that if I play Lone Echo I can lose muscle mass from VR weightlessness?

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2018
    The brain registering trauma is equal to a measurement, this means there is a ratio of small and large

(VR trauma : registered trauma)

Assume the ratio is increased over time due to the body continuing the trauma done by the previous trauma, like a Pavlovian response, over time ringing the bell registers in the dogs brain its supper time, not the first time but over n number of times it registers = builds up over time.

(larger registered trauma value / original registered trauma value = n1) (n1 * VR trauma = larger VR trauma)

Over time the registered trauma value increases to a large enough value it creates a health hazard. The health hazard over time brings the health hazard to maturity.

Then you have sickness like football brain and brain cancer.

But again this is just conjecture. Is the brain registering trauma that's measurable is the first question, is the brain increasing the registered trauma is the second question. If yes to both questions then over time the value for health hazard is met that then matures to health injury.

I assume the VR trauma creates a knee jerk reflex in the trauma register measurement that affects the knee jerk reflex ability over time that builds up the intensity of the registered knee jerk trauma, but I may be wrong. We'll see if I was wrong in a decade or 2 of people in VR.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,394 Valuable Player
    What in holy hell are you talking about lol

There's no physical trauma involved in VR. Good grief.

To the OP you can wear your glasses whilst wearing the Rift, but you'll need to be careful not to scratch the lenses on the Rift with them.

WidmoVR do prescription lenses that slot into the Rift to take the place of your glasses and they're fantastic. You'll have to check their site to see if they can do your prescription though if your prescription isn't standard I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,736 Valuable Player

Lol, I'm pretty sure "Football brain" is caused by the physical trauma caused by Concussion.  There is no concussion involved in VR unless you run straight into a wall the right way.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,721 Volunteer Moderator
    falken76 said:
    Lol, I'm pretty sure "Football brain" is caused by the physical trauma caused by Concussion.  There is no concussion involved in VR unless you run straight into a wall the right way.
    I knew I wasn't doing it right! Those pesky walls.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Nexus 6

• WolkrWolkr Posts: 3
    NerveGear

wtf xD
  • WolkrWolkr Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 2018
    thank you very much to everyone :D

Mod Edit: Sorry had to remove strange text-to speech glitch from this message.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 778
    3Jane
    Just to add in, I wear glasses all the time too. Using them with the Rift isn't an issue but it does take a little finesse to put the headset on and take it off without interfering with my glasses.