cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turns out my headset IS broken

kzintzi
Trustee
Sigh.

I reported an issue with my headset in December 2016, and it's taken me and Oculus Support until now to establish it's a fault with my headset itself - in the end I had to find someone willing to lend me a sensor AND their own headset to test, as Support have been telling me me for over 12 months that it was software not hardware that was the issue.

I do have to say I'm disappointed with the response from Support given it cost me $1000 to buy the device and it's less than 24 months old (Australian Consumer Protection laws indicate that a unit should be in good working order for an expected amount of time, and for a device costing ~$1000 this should be 24 months).

I'm not jumping on the "I hate Oculus" bandwagon, as I do like my rift, and if I end up being shafted completely I'm probably going to be replacing the headset, but the shine has worn off a bit.

[edited to clarify dates]
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
PM'd u

Chron905
Honored Guest
what was your issue?

Well you reported it in December 2016 - so it's from when you bought it to that date, not to now.

Let us all know how you get on.  Good luck!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
You gonna help the op out cybereality?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Just tell Support that you know it's the headset now and that you are not happy you were told for 12 months that it was software related. Tell them you now want the headset replacing because the support you received was obviously wrong. This can't be right @cybereality?

elboffor
Consultant
If it had gone on for this long i wo7ld want the price difference between launch and now refunding. Assuming the error was of such severity it gabe a sub par experience.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

kzintzi
Trustee
fortunately (or unfortunately if you choose to look at it that way [I am but then I'm biased as fuck on this right now]), I have been given the option of buying a refurbished headset with a 6 month warranty. still waiting on details on how this can be acquired, and for how long this option will be available to me.

as you can imagine, I don't have $300US lying around to spend on a replacement headset, so I will have to wait a few months to purchase a replacement. I'm also wondering what the point is of buying a unit that only has 6 months on it, but I don't really want to fork out the price for a new headset AND controllers (since my touch works fine) to get a full 12 months of warranty (especially if the plan is to delay resolution/troubleshooting until the warranty expires/won't be honored if I have issues).

but I'm torn - I spent ~$1300AU on the rift headset AND controllers over the past 2 years, and while I'm OK with paying to be an early adopter, spending another $600AU on another headset makes me want to scream when I've had it less than 2 years. I'm not really happy to pay just coz a company isn't prepared/doesn't have processes to follow consumer protection laws in Australia.

If I go into Apple with a dead phone that's ~$1000 before 24 months, it will be replaced if it has a fault that isn't the cause of the owner (ie was broken due to an issue with the hardware, not be being an idiot), even though Apple only officially offer 12 months on devices.

(trying quite hard not to be an arsehole about this situation, but [possibly biased view] not being able to get a proper support response when it was in warranty and now looking at forking out a lot more money is crap.)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This is definitely a crap ass scenario. That option from support is unacceptable and should be escalated.

kzintzi
Trustee
I (obviously) agree, but like I said, trying hard not to rant about it too much. I'd like to think that it wasn't actually escalated to anyone who can actually make a decision, but that's mostly to stop my wife from getting shitty at me for being grumpy and angry about it at home.