cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45 FPS Problem in some games

RedLeader42
Protege
I initially chimed in on another thread regarding FPS problems in Robo Recall but I am realizing it isn't just that game. I'm having this in other games as well such as The Climb and Bending the Light. I'm using Oculus Tray Tool to confirm the FPS and performance headroom. In-game there is visible stuttering while moving around or even just watching moving objects. FPS is reported steady at 45 with negative headroom. Windows reports the process using around 32% GPU usage and 20% CPU. The system is a new MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider with GTX 1070 and Windows 10. I've tried some suggestions like turning off ASW Mode to no effect, updating drivers, etc. I'm running GeForce drivers v390.65. The only thing I've found that helps (tested in Robo Recall) is if the game can be windowed and then minimized on the computer screen, the FPS immediately camps out at 90 FPS with 30-50% headroom.Other games or environments such as the new Oculus Home, Job Simulator, Echo Arena and Star Trek Bridge Crew all run steadily at 90 FPS with no less than 20% headroom. I'm unsure what changed but I can say when I first got the system all the games seemed to run flawlessly.

Is this a known issue, as I've seen other people reporting similar problems? Is there any resolution? Not only for myself, but I want to have some friends over to blow their minds and would like the experience to be excellent like it was previously.
MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

LZoltowski
Champion

Nvidia and windows 10 keep messing with the underlying tech, and Oculus devs have to keep playing catchup.

Well boo. At least I know it's not just me or my system though.

Can you try and get the 388.71 driver from Nvidia and try that out?
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/128421/en-us

Yeah, I can. The best way I've read to do this is with a full manual removal and reinstall. Despite upgrading  from 388.x to 390.x, I have no rollback driver option in device manager like this post suggests.

Is the manual removal and reinstall the recommended way to go? Thanks!

Yeah do a full removal and install the older driver.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

View solution in original post

RedLeader42
Protege
Okay so reporting back in on this. The tl;dr is - it was totally a hardware problem in my case. I know Sharkster-NVR is reporting a completely different experience, and it may just be a different situation. After discovering multiple comments on the MSI forum that many people were reporting huge performance dips on the Intel 7700HQ proc running only 1 stick of RAM, I bought a second 16GB stick today and installed it. Dual-channel memory access for the win, in my case. I can now:
  • Run the system without an external monitor
  • Have many apps running on the laptop screen
  • Run the 390.65 drivers
and I have flawless Robo Recall performance at 90 fps with even more performance headroom than before.

In truth this makes sense for me, because the system is using a hybrid Intel / NVIDIA solution and dependent on the Intel adapter, and the huge bandwidth requirement these game graphics require, not operating the memory access in dual channel mode creates a bottleneck.

What I can't explain is why the newer drivers aren't creating a performance problem that I can see. I can only attribute that to running a rigorous process each time:
  1. Boot into safe mode
  2. Run DDU to yank out all existing GeForce drivers
  3. Rebooting back to normal mode
  4. Installing the new drivers fresh
 But I'm certain others may have done this and still had problems. In summary - this is really complicated. In my case I'm having a hard time pinning it on the drivers as it ended up just being a memory bottleneck.

Huge thanks to LZoltowski for reading a bazillion articles trying to help me 😉 and to everyone else giving suggestions. This may not be over for me yet but my initial tests here are extremely promising. 

MSI GE63VR-7RF Raider | GTX 1070 8 GB | Core i7-7700HQ 2.80 - 3.80 GHz | 32 GB RAM

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

LZoltowski
Champion
Nvidia and windows 10 keep messing with the underlying tech, and Oculus devs have to keep playing catchup.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^This 100 times, and all we can do at the moment is use the OT to help with this until some fixes come along.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RedLeader42
Protege

Yeah, I can. The best way I've read to do this is with a full manual removal and reinstall. Despite upgrading  from 388.x to 390.x, I have no rollback driver option in device manager like this post suggests.

LZoltowski
Champion

Yeah do a full removal and install the older driver.

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedLeader42
Protege
Okay, well I just installed 388.71 drivers and that did not make a difference at all sadly. Then I removed that and installed the 388.43 drivers and that also made no difference. Another odd thing I've noticed is that heavy hard drive activity will drop the Oculus to 45 fps, or even just grabbing a window on the computer screen and "shaking" it back and forth quickly will drop the fps to 45. The computer screen and the oculus performance seemed to be locked together somehow that makes no sense to me. I confirmed n the GeForce Control Panel I have the preferred graphics processor set to "High-performance NVIDIA processor".

Any other suggestions? I've appreciated the feedback and would love to get this resolved.

LZoltowski
Champion
Man that sucks big time .. 

Out of interest .. in the Nvidia Panel: Power Management is it set to "prefer maximum performance?"

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedLeader42
Protege

Man that sucks big time .. 

Out of interest .. in the Nvidia Panel: Power Management is it set to "prefer maximum performance?"

It was set to optimal power, but changing to prefer maximum performance didn't make a difference. Minimizing a game window has an immediate affect. I've found even moving my mouse quickly over the Oculus application (which isn't even being mirrored) causes the FPS to drop. This is kinda ridiculous.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yeah, thats so peculiar! The Oculus application, what CPU affinity/priority does it have? and the OSVR service

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedLeader42
Protege

Yeah, thats so peculiar! The Oculus application, what CPU affinity/priority does it have? and the OSVR service

Unchanged. Normal CPU and affinity. As I mentioned, while in game the system is not taxed. I've not done anything that I can think of other than update drivers and software as needed. I've opened a support ticket as this is so repeatable and causing such a noticeable problem with performance. I've also had 2-3 game crashes in Robo Recall since this started up too.