Doom VFR - Smooth Locomotion Patch — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Doom VFR - Smooth Locomotion Patch

elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
well, I've held off playing this but it looks like tomorrow might have to be the day i start

DOOM VFR PC Patch - January 30

29 JANUARY - JASONBETHESDA
Hey all,

A new patch for DOOM VFR will be deployed on January 30 for PC. Here are the patch notes.

• Added Windows Mixed Reality headset support
  • Added Smooth Locomotion control option
  • Added Smooth Locomotion movement speed options
  • Added Weapon Pitch option to adjust angle of weapon on controller
  • Added option for Jump while using VR controllers with Smooth Movement on
  • Added toggle for Dash when smooth movement is on
  • Added Jump to Gamepad controller scheme
  • Fixed an issue with discoloring seen on some HMDs
  • Various bug fixes[/list

The DOOM VFR patch will take place at 2:00pm CST/3:00pm EST on January 30th on PC.
Is there anything else anyone recommends?
such as binding buttons differently or anything?

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,187
    Wintermute
    Oh ... Smooth locomotion ... Beginning to make sense .. Awesome !
    Be good, die great !
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    I saw this earlier on Reddit. I might go ahead and try this game, depending on feedback once the patch goes live. I loved Doom 2016, and would like to revisit that world in VR.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    FINALLY!! .. Thank god .. I legit thought they had given up on it.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,567
    Project 2501
    So, Skyrim has smooth turning, Doom VFR, when is FO4 VR getting it? I hate snap turning. It's my biggest gripe. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,187
    Wintermute
    Bethesda ain´t gonna put the money into making FO4 better .. They wait for modders to make it an experience worthy for VR enthusiasts ... Cause they know we are stupid enough to buy it when some fan have made all the work for them .
    Be good, die great !
    Project 2501
    KlodsBrik said:
    Bethesda ain´t gonna put the money into making FO4 better .. They wait for modders to make it an experience worthy for VR enthusiasts ... Cause they know we are stupid enough to buy it when some fan have made all the work for them .
    OK. There's a patch coming next week. 
  • FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 201 Oculus Start Member
    edited January 2018
    They have officially announced it, I'll try it tonight.

Check out our latest VR exclusive games from www.FieldOf.Vision
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Turning isnt implemented :/
    You have to spin around physically.

Also on my rig it runs like shit.
    Artifacts all over the place and juddery as hell.
    I expected it to be a little glitchy, but dam!
    Wintermute
    edited January 2018
    elboffor said:
    Turning isnt implemented :/
    You have to spin around physically.

Also on my rig it runs like shit.
    Artifacts all over the place and juddery as hell.
    I expected it to be a little glitchy, but dam!
    Welp .. looks like might just have to still use Kojacks AutoOculus script for turning.

Artifacting/Judder you're experiencing is solely a SteamVR thing I believe. I get it too but I get the same thing in many other SteamVR games in the same way. People need to push for Native OH support more .. though this is the place where we are least likely to get it.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Real shame tbh cos i was properly enjoying it aside from all the shit performance 
    I was looking at the patch notes, and realized that this game STILL has no left-handed mode. They tweeted on December 1 that they were looking to add lefty support along with more locomotion options.

Oh well forget this game once again!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    Can somebody who owns this game please tell me if it's controller-oriented or hmd-oriented movement?  If it's got the option for controller-oriented, I'll have to try it when I get my PC back.
    I believe it's only HMD oriented.
    Wintermute
    I haven't played the most recent patch .. but before that, using the game-pad would only work with HMD orientation
  • JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    KillCard said:
    I haven't played the most recent patch .. but before that, using the game-pad would only work with HMD orientation
    Yeah, that's what I had read about the gamepad/remapping controls workaround, so I never bought it.  For some reason, I find it impossible to play a game hmd-oriented.  Playing so much Onward, Serious Sam, Fallout, and From Other Suns I guess.
    Wintermute
    edited February 2018
    KillCard said:
    Yeah, that's what I had read about the gamepad/remapping controls workaround, so I never bought it.  For some reason, I find it impossible to play a game hmd-oriented.  Playing so much Onward, Serious Sam, Fallout, and From Other Suns I guess.
    I find that this is only a problem on Vive for me. The Vive thumbpads are terrible for accurate directional pushes since it doesnt track the actual push "direction", just whether or not it was pushed and the x/y location of the sensor feedback.

Touch analog sticks are basically the same as xbox controller analog sticks and my mind already knows what to expect when I push in whatever direction. It makes VR FPS the same as flat FPS for me.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,828 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    Works perfectly for me - I'm even forcing super sampling 2.0 (thank to Oculus Tray Tool). I'm using TAAx1 (not 8, can't see any difference). Virtual Texturing Page Size set to High, not Ultra, seems like 8GB is not enough with SS 2.0 - can't see any difference comparing High and Ultra. All other settings maxed.  
    Love it when you jump in the real world, you jump in-game - that's unique, right? Textures are often awesome, can see tiny scratches on windows and metal surfaces etc. Not Lone Echo quality, but reasonable close - and MUCH better than Fallout 4 VR. I'm using the good old Forceware 385.28 (due to Elite and Obduction) - so far no graphical glitches, all textures work perfectly. 
    Only remaining problem is fixed weapon-hand - I'm a lefty - but I get to throw grenades using my left hand/arm - so it's not all bad. 
    So far I'm hooked - this is really Doom - it's awesome - maybe the most adrenaline pumping VR game. Love the HMD analogous movement control - wouldn't want digital turning to reduce immersion. Thus just buying and installing the game it really goes much like this (apart from HMD-oriented turning):

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • richardl.molinarerichardl.molinare Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 2018
    Total noob to pc gaming coming from ps4 but love doom I have oculus rift and when I select smooth movement in doom settings nothing works still the same as before with teleporting... any help will be greatly appreciated. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited July 2018
    You need a AutoHotKey (important not the Beta as it won't work and would mess up Registry for script) and script (use Open With AHK) , edit the binds to not allow left stick as smooth loco works ingame anyways, load the binds into the game. Search it on regedit.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/65067/doom-vfr-works-perfectly-on-rift-no-controller-modifications-needed/p1

edit script as follows: 
    I figured out the edit to the Script to rid the Left Touch. Remember to enable Smooth Locomotion in Menu again to allow dynamic movement. This is the only last commands needed which enable only the Right Touch: -

(after this)
    ; Now to do something with them.

;Right X axis Plus
     if (rightX > 0.2) and (oldRX <= 0.2)
      Send, {p down}
     if (rightX <= 0.2) and (oldRX > 0.2)
      Send, {p up}
     ;Right X axis Negative 
     if (rightX < -0.2) and (oldRX >= -0.2)
      Send, {o down}
     if (rightX >= -0.2) and (oldRX <- 0.2)
      Send, {o up}

oldRX:= rightX
    Project 2501
    Total noob to pc gaming coming from ps4 but love doom I have oculus rift and when I select smooth movement in doom settings nothing works still the same as before with teleporting... any help will be greatly appreciated. 
    I don't remember exactly. I remember having to play around with the settings. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,349 Volunteer Moderator
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    You need a AutoHotKey (important not the Beta as it won't work and would mess up Registry for script) and script (use Open With AHK) , edit the binds to not allow left stick as smooth loco works ingame anyways, load the binds into the game. Search it on regedit.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/65067/doom-vfr-works-perfectly-on-rift-no-controller-modifications-needed/p1
    Unfortunately Oculus runtimes 1.27 and 1.28 broke support for it, it won't work anymore. :(
    A bunch of devs in the dev forums are having trouble with broken input in these recent runtimes, oculus screwed something up.

Wintermute
    Yup they broke it the bastards ;(
  • m5677m5677 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I just managed to get rotate on the right touch controller working (again). I'm using a combination of some bind commands and the AutoHotKey script posted by MAC_MAN86.

- Install AHK 1.29
    - Unzip auto_oculus_touch_v0.1.5
    - Copy the AHK script in the same folder as auto_oculus_touch_v0.1.5
    - Start DOOM
    - Open in-game console
    - type: bind p _lookright
    - type: bind o _lookleft
    - type: bind STEAMVR_PRIMARY_A _vr_turn180
    - Close console
    - Have fun

This will allow you to use right stick for head movement and using A button to do a 180° turn.
    Wintermute
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a try again ;)
    Wintermute
    edited February 12
    I'm trying their AutoHotKey current version v1.1.30.01 and the Doom script in Reddit seems wrong as it adds multiple repeat entries. I run the Script then load Doom in Steam and enter the binds in console mode but it can't recognize the last entry for 180 turn plus they don't work in the game to even turn with right joystick. Can you please post your full Doom Script @m5677 ;

Ah ok I see you use https://github.com/rajetic/auto_oculus_touch/releases instead of the Doom Script.
    The Left stick seems to be conflicting so will need editing as I had done previously. I'll look again at this.
    Wintermute
    edited February 12
    OK FIXED - I had trouble trying to save the Edited Script into the same folder as the AHK program. I saved it elsewhere then moved it back to that folder so they're both in the same place as required. I edited the Script as I had found earlier in the post to remove entirely the Left Joystick and sure enough 180 turns are working also ;)
    Thanks again @5677

The Doom Script on Reddit or Auto_Oculus_Touch scripts should work ok. Else combine them.

edit script as follows: 
    I figured out the edit to the Script to rid the Left Touch. Remember to enable Smooth Locomotion in Menu again to allow dynamic movement. This is the only last commands needed which enable only the Right Touch: -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (after this)

;Right X axis Plus
      Send, {p down}
      Send, {p up}
     ;Right X axis Negative 
      Send, {o down}
      Send, {o up}

Project 2501
    m5677 said:
    I just managed to get rotate on the right touch controller working (again). I'm using a combination of some bind commands and the AutoHotKey script posted by MAC_MAN86.

- Install AHK 1.29
    - Start DOOM
    - Open in-game console
    - Close console
    - Have fun

This will allow you to use right stick for head movement and using A button to do a 180° turn.
    Does this still work?

Where is the step for running the autohotkey? I assume we do that before we start DOOM? And do I have to type those bind commands every time I start the game? 

I'm eager to play with the new visuals. 
    Wintermute
    edited May 24
    It should work and you Run the AHK first and it shows later in your Oculus Library also and then Run DOOM VFR and is only input type binds 1st time but have the Script edited already for it.
    I had trouble trying to save the Edited Script into the same folder as the AHK program. I saved it elsewhere then moved it back to that folder so they're both in the same place as required. I edited the Script as I had found earlier in the post to remove entirely the Left Joystick and sure enough 180 turns are working also.
    Use https://github.com/rajetic/auto_oculus_touch/releases instead of the Doom Script.
    The Left stick seems to be conflicting so will need editing as I had done previously. 

- Install AHK 1.29
    - Start DOOM
    - Open in-game console
    - Close console
    - Have fun
    Use my edit:
    edit script as follows: 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (after this)

;Right X axis Plus
      Send, {p down}
      Send, {p up}
     ;Right X axis Negative 
      Send, {o down}
      Send, {o up}

Project 2501
    @MAC_MAN86 Thanks! I got it working. 

Wow, Doom VFR really benefits from the Rift-S. The details in the models is so much better. If you play it again, pick up those display models they have in the control rooms. The details is amazing and it's so clear now.