Gear VR - Black screen with small white X — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gear VR - Black screen with small white X

JSAVRJSAVR Posts: 26
Brain Burst
edited February 2018 in Samsung Gear VR
Hi there, I'm in UK and have a note 8 and the latest gear VR with controller and all of a sudden it has stopped working. When I connect the phone to the gear VR I hear the chime and the screen goes black as normal but when I put the headset on the screen stays black and does not load up the gear VR oculus home screen. It does flash once then just remains on the black screen with the small white x. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Tried uninstalling all of the Oculus & Gear VR software but to no avail - still just the black screen with the small white x when I connect to the headset. The phone is obviously recognising the headset by making the chime noise and turning black but that seems to be as far as it gets.  Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• ckrinerckriner Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem however I can't do anything with my phone.  I attach my phone to the Gear and it goes black with the message "Oculus Update Required" but it doesn't do anything.  When I remove my phone, it is locked.  The black screen with small x in corner and I cannot do anything with my phone, I can't even take a phone call.  I have to wait till my phone dies, so I can recharge it to have access to my phone.  If this can't be fixed, let me know so I can give this $100 POS to someone who can use it.
  • thetangothetango Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Ditto -- it's happening to me and I can't figure it out.  This used to work :(
  • thedukesaysthedukesays Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi had this issue on my S7 before and it was due to disabling Facebook.
  • wahidmnywahidmny Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    ckriner said:
    I have the same problem however I can't do anything with my phone.  I attach my phone to the Gear and it goes black with the message "Oculus Update Required" but it doesn't do anything.  When I remove my phone, it is locked.  The black screen with small x in corner and I cannot do anything with my phone, I can't even take a phone call.  I have to wait till my phone dies, so I can recharge it to have access to my phone.  If this can't be fixed, let me know so I can give this $100 POS to someone who can use it.
    I have same problem
    And reinstall oculus 
    And make a factory reset 
    And Chang the Rom
    And the problem still found black screen with white x in corner
    If any one arrive to solve???
  • wahidmnywahidmny Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    ckriner said:
    Same the problem with s8 
    And I can't find any soluation
  • Ramen11Ramen11 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This happens a lot to me, but what I usually do is plug my phone into the charger and wait until the screen goes back to normal. Otherwise, try holding down the home or power button for a while. It'll sometimes make your phone snap out of the "trance".
  • kautzmankautzman Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2018
    Has anybody solved this problem? My galaxy note 8 and gear vr starting doing this 2 months ago. I have tried everything. Reloading oculus software many times. I've factory reset my phone. I'm using the original cable. I even sent my gear vr to Samsung for repair. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. No matter what, all I ever get when I plug my phone into the gear VR is a black screen with a white X. There are hundreds of Google search results for this problem and not a single concrete solution has ever been posted. Please help. 
  • Dark_KnightwingDark_Knightwing Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I found out the the Black Screen with the white X is the Gear VR being activated.  It does this screen until the Sensor inside the headset detects that the Gear is placed on your face.  It then turns on and starts you in the Oculus Home.  If it does not work, it might be a problem with the sensor in the headset.
  • FivethumbsFivethumbs Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've got exactly the same problem here. Note 8 that was absolutely fine, then just one day decided it was just going to be black screen and small x. 

I've been through Samsung's support process that was basically remove all of the vr software and reinstall it (Didn't work) and after that back up the whole phone and do a factory reset. (Didn't work and was a nightmare sorting the phone out afterwards, especially my banking app) Nothing helped. 

I think this happened after a software update on the phone, but as I don't use the Gear that often I can't say when or which update it was.

I know it's no help if your Gear isn't working, but it might help someone else to decide not to do a factory reset as it made no difference and was a bit of a nightmare.