New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Whats the longest you have spent in VR?

GlaidrGlaidr Posts: 44
Brain Burst
Hi Folks, 

Quick question! What is the longest you have spent in VR, in any one session? Have a marathon coming up, an with my new toy, i'm planing on spending most of it in VR!!

Leave answer in comments below =)

Comments

• SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    about 4 hours a night at my peak.. but then I play many games on many platforms. :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,243 Power Poster
    A little over 6 hours in one session. It was with, Dead and Buried, and my legs felt like jelly the next day due to all the squatting from hiding behind cover. I did a six hour session again recently with a 30 munute break inbetween. This was with, From other Suns.

My head usually feels a bit fuzzy afterwards lol

But the feeling is no different from when I used to pull long study cram sessions the night before final exams.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 276
    Nexus 6
    What did you play?
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,399 Poster of the Week
    10 hours in Elite Dangerous.   That was actually pretty normal for me at the beginning of last year;  I had just lost a job, gotten cheated out of unemployment benefits, and in the three months it took me to get hired anywhere else, pretty much all I did was play Elite Dangerous and watch Star Trek Voyager.  :neutral:

And before you ask, no, I really didn't suffer any kind of fatigue from such long sessions.  Meanwhile if I play games on a regular computer monitor for three or four hours I usually end up with a migraine.
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    probably like 45 minutes maybe
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    edited February 1
    danknugz said:
    probably like 45 minutes maybe

You play Project Cars and only spend 45 mins in the headset?
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    yeah ive only played it 5 or 6 times, usually play just a couple races
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,636 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm not sure of the actual length, but I've spent hours at a time in Elite and Euro Truck Sim 2.

• BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 758 Poster of the Week
    Without a break, probably 3 hours. That's about how long a MP match in DCS can go before the server crashes or the mission gets rotated. I suspect I've put in some similar stints in From Other Suns over the past couple weeks. It's always just one more jump it seems.
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    Recently I've been having 10-14 hour sessions at weekends.  (Last night I was in from 8AM till 10PM!)
    Breaking only for a quick bite to eat/toilet, and then straight back in.
    I do feel a little "thick headed" when finished, but it only last abut an hour.

One thing I have noticed is occasionally, in "Real life", I have vision glitches like when the HMD looses tracking and the whole VR world glitch/slides in and out quickly by about 6 inches.
    Not sure if my brain is expecting it to happen, so manifests it itself!?
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 12
    Recently I've been having 10-14 hour sessions at weekends.  (Last night I was in from 8AM till 10PM!)
    Breaking only for a quick bite to eat/toilet, and then straight back in.
    I do feel a little "thick headed" when finished, but it only last abut an hour.

One thing I have noticed is occasionally, in "Real life", I have vision glitches like when the HMD looses tracking and the whole VR world glitch/slides in and out quickly by about 6 inches.
    Not sure if my brain is expecting it to happen, so manifests it itself!?
    I had the same experience after Playing Lone Echo for 3 hours straight. Experienced a strange glitch in my vision a few times, also felt a little bit weightless and wanted to grab surfaces to push myself off.

Another strange side effect of a prolonged VR session is a sense that "real life" feels hyper-real, everything is a tad sharper and more 3dimensional for at least 30 minutes.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,455 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    10 hours in Elite Dangerous.   That was actually pretty normal for me at the beginning of last year;  I had just lost a job, gotten cheated out of unemployment benefits, and in the three months it took me to get hired anywhere else, pretty much all I did was play Elite Dangerous and watch Star Trek Voyager.  :neutral:

And before you ask, no, I really didn't suffer any kind of fatigue from such long sessions.  Meanwhile if I play games on a regular computer monitor for three or four hours I usually end up with a migraine.
    similar to me (but without the job loss - glad you got yourself sorted on that front - .
    i have contemplated sleeping in VR, as some sort of experiment.... but not got around to it yet .

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • GlaidrGlaidr Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    CrashFu said:

similar to me (but without the job loss - glad you got yourself sorted on that front - .
    i have contemplated sleeping in VR, as some sort of experiment.... but not got around to it yet .

Would you have anything running? i feel you would need to be careful with tracking. 

Let us know how you get on!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,999 Volunteer Moderator
    8 hours straight one comfort break. Epic mission with 4 air 2 air refuels in DCS. Was totally fooked afterwards but no vision probs and no headaches. Just drained after the flight :) loved every second.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    edited February 12
    During the From Other Suns free weekend (and about 2 weeks after), I was enjoying 6+ hour sessions almost daily.

I don't get to enjoy that kind of leisure time often, but it is Winter season and being indoors is all the rage. So I'm taking full advantage!
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 576
    Neo
    edited February 13
    Almost 3 hours in No One Lives Forever 2, same with DoomBFG - and I have watched a few movies on Netflix in Big Screen. Most of the games that came with the Rift I tend to spend 25 to 45 minutes on at a time. I have put about 30 hours into my headset since I got it on Jan. 25th.

I find that mostly I need to take a break from having the weight on my face when I am gaming - but if I am watching a movie in Big Screen I can go about 2 hours without any issue. As much as I love the gaming - especially the tactile stuff like Robo Recall or Virtual Rick-ality, I think Big Screen has been worth the price of admission for me. I love watching movies on a giant fake movie screen, it is just the best.

I haven't really had any moments of nausea - at least I was expecting it to be more pronounced.
    Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,327 Power Poster
    I can do 7 or 8 hours in Elite Dangerous without a problem. It's something I have to be careful about because of my diabetes because if I miss meals or injections I can get myself into all sorts of trouble. :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,040 Valuable Player
    I still split my gaming time between VR and monitor but Medium was the first time I got sucked into long sessions in the Rift, with a few lasting 4-5 hours. My only problem is whenever I spend so much time enjoying a single program... I get a bit of burn-out and then just want to do something else.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,399 Poster of the Week
    CrashFu said:

Trying to recall if I've ever accidentally fallen asleep with the Rift on or not...

I don't think I would recommend doing that on purpose, just because you might end up resting your head in a way that puts strain on the device. Or your neck. :tongue:
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • MagzireMagzire Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited February 15
    I can only play for 1 hour max before my eyes feel like there getting squeezed. Once I feel them starting to strain I will stop. I'm pretty sure we'll be blind in 10 years lol
  • johan.greyling.391johan.greyling.391 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    13 hours playing between beat saber and assetto corsa. Normally 2 hours AC and 1 Hour beat saber and so forth. I probably spend at least about 7 - 8 hours a day in VR. Would be lost without it now. Unfortunately live in a country where the crime rate is getting impossibly high now. So staying at home playing VR is awesome.  
  • johan.greyling.391johan.greyling.391 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited November 7
    My question though. Has anybody become almost like addicted to the VR. I don't know it's almost as though i can't leave it for even one day. Even if I just play for at least 15 mins. Im oky. But haven't been able to not play a single day. But i suppose that comes with the danger level in  our country. 

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 660
    Neo
    Probably 4-5 hours and I felt fine afterwards.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
     I've been gaming for years. Really since Pong for TV. I don't think I ever played more than 3 hours on the weekend until the last couple of weekends. I would say I spent 6 to 8 hours in the rift, gaming or watching 3D movies both weekends.  Got a few folks worried and or pissed at me. When asked what I want for Christmas, I only suggested a bedpan and someone to empty it and to be fed intravenously. No immersion breaking conversation for at least 3 days of my holiday break. I'm getting socks instead  
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited November 7
    I think I spent like 3 hours straight in Chronos when Rift first came out. Also played a long session in Arktika.1, probably like 3 hours at well. But I usually try to keep the sessions to 1 hour or so and take a break as my eyes get tired.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited November 7
    Edit: forgot I already responded to this thread lol
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 900
    3Jane
    edited November 9
    Probably also about 3 hours, not because of eye strain, but I'm mostly standing and physical fatigue after playing intense games is a limiting factor - then I often sit and watch some short films on Oculus Video. Also I am using VR when the kids are sleeping, limiting how much time I've got available - my VR time window during weekends usually extends from 9 or 10 PM to 1 AM.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,040 Valuable Player
    I'm having a few long sessions in Fallout 4 lately, from 1 to 3 hours. Don't want to go longer than that... mainly because there are other things I should be doing, it's becoming a bit addictive.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.