New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Henri's Blackbook

Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 106
Art3mis
edited February 6 in Oculus Medium

teh resolution is much better on the forum :)
Really enjoyed working on him. I find it strange that the Medium screenshots clearly show voxels, holes and imperfections which i totally don't see while in VR. Anyways, in the end he turned out all oiled and shiney. Workflow use was Medium->keyshot. 

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited February 7
    woah these are amazing! keep 'em coming!
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,639 Valuable Player
    edited February 7
    Henri1970 said:

teh resolution is much better on the forum :)
    Really enjoyed working on him. I find it strange that the Medium screenshots clearly show voxels, holes and imperfections which i totally don't see while in VR. Anyways, in the end he turned out all oiled and shiney. Workflow use was Medium->keyshot. 
    If you leave bloom on in Medium you don't tend to notice those surface artifacts so bad but they show up like hell if you turn it off. One thing I do is always run the smooth tool over your sculpt when you up the resolution. If you don't, the next res-up really pops the banding effect and it's hard to smooth back in. Like the distortion is cumulative between res-ups. Smoothing between res-ups won't get rid of it completely but it does seem to help a bit.

*edit: also note that some of the effect can be caused by the spotlight. The falloff area can cause some glitchy looking stuff
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 616
    Neo
    FrozenPea said:
    woah these are amazing! keep 'em coming!
    I second that! 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 11
    Wow
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • InkyTheOctopusInkyTheOctopus Posts: 217 Poster of the Week
    Quality sculpts dude , keep it up . :)
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    edited February 18

Hairs tend to make for a choppy sesshiun
    Whoa, is that top one a medium screenshot?!!!
    Art3mis
    edited February 19
    hahahaha :D that's me cheating. It's all Medium but what i do is sculpt a bit of hair, export, import into renderer, erase hair, sculpt another bit of hair export/import and repeat. Didn' t finish it yet....it's on hold :D hahaha must learn how to do hair properly. not very efficient and doesn't look like fur....sometimes it has a funny look though
    Neo
    edited February 19
    It's probably possible to do it directly somewhere around 128 gigs of ram.  Looks like the hair is about 1/4 of the thickness in [this one](https://us.v-cdn.net/6024342/uploads/editor/rr/1m3gaop41op5.png).  Agree that it's a big performance hit to render, lots of  cumulative surface area, I suppose.  If anyone is running a serious work station, I'd be curious to see how fine the detail could get, natively, on a head sculpt.  I can't justify the upgrade yet, but I'm tempted sometimes.  Ultra high-rez stamps, without the whole mesh to clay conversion, might be able to hit that detail, but probably wouldn't leave much room for other features.

Art3mis
    It's probably possible to do it directly somewhere around 128 gigs of ram.  Looks like it's about 1/4 of the thickness in [this one](https://us.v-cdn.net/6024342/uploads/editor/rr/1m3gaop41op5.png).  Agree that it's a big performance hit to render, lots of  cumulative surface area, I suppose.  If anyone is running a serious work station, I'd be curious to see how fine the detail could get, natively, on a head sculpt.  I can't justify the upgrade yet, but I'm tempted sometimes.

at the minit i have 64....
    Neo
    edited February 19
    And here I am, crawling along with just 32.... How fine can you get the hair without doing any outside rendering?

That insect is killer, btw
    Art3mis
    edited February 19
    thing is that sculpting the hair is not the issue but the export stops working at some point....or creating the uv's causes meltdown :D 2nd monkey easely....it is also not the most efficient way....i did the big monkey further up, he has moar hair, but in the end i went insain. for hair we need instancing of curves (someone said that)
    You could try exporting as FBX with vertex colors. I don't think it does an unwrap when you choose that option. Might help avoid meltdown?

That said Medium is just not the tool for hair right now. Having seen what 10,000 strands does to my render time in Cycles, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not high up on the devs list of priorities right now.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    Wow this is beautiful. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:

hahahaha :D that's me cheating. It's all Medium but what i do is sculpt a bit of hair, export, import into renderer, erase hair, sculpt next hairs, export import into renderer....until that. Never finished it as it lagged me out LOL
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:

hahahaha :D that's me cheating. It's all Medium but what i do is sculpt a bit of hair, export, import into renderer, erase hair, sculpt next hairs, export import into renderer....until that. Never finished it as it lagged me out LOL
    Art3mis
    I'm real short on time these last days. Opted to revisit an old sculpt and see how much difference the patches that came out since actually make. Where before i would have a brain hemorrhage from fatal lag and simply had to stop i can now still add more branches. Pretty awesome.... wish i had more time and inspiration :)

Art3mis
    Art3mis

Neo
    @Henri1970
    Great pose and drama!  Dig the way you handled the skin coloring, really interesting interplay of color there. 
    Art3mis
    Art3mis

Art3mis
    Art3mis