New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,457
Project 2501
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
Tagged:

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 10,532 Power Poster
    edited February 8
    kevinw729 said:
    not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Why would it be an issue if HTC's stand-alone is also tied to their HTC Store?
    https://www.roadtovr.com/vive-focus-standalone-headset-launches-in-china/

HTC's stand-alone is called Vive Focus, and it is tied to VivePort, HTC's proprietary store.

Regardless, WebVR is becoming more and more mainstream with each passing month. And all these headsets will be able to take advantage.

The main issue for me is in regards to the "immersion" factor. I'm curious to see what people will say about the level of Immersion provided by Oculus GO, especially when compared to GearVR. Immersion is Key, everything else is extra.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 3,903 Power Poster
    The lack of an SD card slot is a weird omission tbh.  :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 3,457
    Project 2501
    edited February 8
    Yeah, I asked the developers if that was just a dev kit thing, and they did not know - so we will have to wait for OVR confirmation. Same with the audio, not going to criticise a demo unit as being production value. Just happy to have had the chance to try it for myself.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited February 8
    snowdog said:
    The lack of an SD card slot is a weird omission tbh.  :o

It's because they are focusing on performance and stability of the VR Experience. There are 2 schools of thought that have been floating around since 2015 regarding the slow disappearance of SD card slots in devices.
    1. To help increase performance and stability.
    2. Because the device manufacturers are greedy bastards who want to force you to upgrade if you want more space.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere inbetween. I can't see Facebook/Oculus choosing this in order to raise the price, since GO will be very reasonably priced at release, and come with a hefty amount of Free VR Experiences.

I firmly believe that this is all about stability and performance (as a Developer, this makes perfect sense); the reputation of Virtual Reality, Facebook, and Oculus depend on a stable release.

"For high performance devices, we are fundamentally against an SD card slot."

"You think you're buying like a Kingston or a SanDisk but you're actually not, and they're extremely poor quality, they're slow, they sometimes just stop working, and it gives people huge number of issues, apps crashing all the time, users losing data, a lot of basically complaints and customer frustration."

Matías Duarte, Google's VP of design, is also quoted as saying that "in reality it's just confusing for users."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-real-reason-why-micro-sd-card-slots-are-disappearing-from-smartphones/

https://www.maketecheasier.com/missing-micro-sd-card-slot/

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,161 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm glad DragonBox didn't follow that train of thought. The Pyra has dual sd card slots and a micro sd card slot. :)
    (Yay, they are about to enter mass production for the Pyra. I can't wait)

Zenbane said:
    I'm sure the truth lies somewhere inbetween. I can't see Facebook/Oculus choosing this in order to raise the price, since GO will be very reasonably priced at release, and come with a hefty amount of Free VR Experiences.
    Although we already know the Go has a more expensive 64GB model in addition to the $199 32GB model. Let's wait to see how much more that extra 32GB costs.

I didn't really expect Go to have an sd card slot, but it could have been handy.

kevinw729 said:

- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I hope that's the case, and not a problem with the new audio-from-the-headband design.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,350 Poster of the Week
    edited February 8
    32GB of storage is actually quite a bit really for mobile games. There would not be a lot of just "add on" apps like a phone has, email, pictures, or text. They don't have long running games such as mmos and with limits to hardware - it really puts the breaks on what can or can not be possible. One thing they should've maybe thought about is maybe upgradable storage banks instead.

Yes, SD cards run the risk of not being good - but it would've been nice to have the ability to add a SSD to the device as a upgradable storage unit instead. SATA technology doesn't really cost that much to add to a device. Something maybe the next version can look into replicating in the future. As for where the drive can rest - in the pocket or in a slot in the back of the headset.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 4,645 Volunteer Moderator
    I will be buying one anyway, something to have on a plane or in a hotel until Santa Cruz is out .. 

How are the optics themselves? God Rays/Light Smears?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    The 32GB works for me just fine, since my primary use will be for WebVR applications. They only use RAM.
    B)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,075 Poster of the Week
    I would buy the Star Wars standalone long before I would buy the Go.
    No point in going backwards for a VR experiance.
    WAAAGH!
  • TigerPeteVRTigerPeteVR Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    The site does mention 'integrated spacial audio'.  I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing some of the www.melodyvr.com content on the Go.  It's supposed to be awesome with the UK Head of Marketing for Sony Music tweeting 'I've just seen the future of music' after seeing it last week.
  • Reverend_BrownReverend_Brown Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited February 11
    Mradr said:
    32GB of storage is actually quite a bit really for mobile games.
    A number of the better games on the platform come in at between 500MB and 1GB in size.  A few of them are even pushing 1.5GB.  But games aren't the issue.  Both the Gear VR and Go are about more than just games. 

Let's say that you want to download some of the better quality immersive media content, such as that produced by Felix & Paul Studios.  Some of their stuff clocks in at several Gigabytes (Miyubi for example is 6GB).  You can easily hit 20GB or so with this sort of thing alone. 

Or let's say you want to download all the Metaverse content in the ORBX Media Player.  It's some of the most visually impressive content available on any VR platform and it's great to keep it instantly available.  That's another 6-8GB or so. 

There are plenty of video content distribution platforms as well, where the best experience is achieved by downloading instead of streaming.  Add more Gigabytes. 

And I'm just getting started.  I don't even want to tell you how much space I am using for VR content on my S8.  And I'm not an app/content hoarder.  Far from it.  I just want to have all the best content there, ready to go.  That's all.  It's trivially easy to blow out beyond 32GB if that's your goal. 

All this is to say that if I want to properly enjoy the Go the 32GB version is totally out of the question.  Even the 64GB version will force me into different content storage/acquisition habits that I'd rather not be forced into.  But it will be a whole lot more manageable.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,082 Valuable Player
    If you go back to before CV1 came out and looked at the Gear VR section, one of the huge issues was storage - i had the 32GB S6 and was constantly having to make more space - 3d films, games and 360 photos.  

This is meant to be a mobile platform that you can take away with you - 32GB is far too small.
    Project 2501
    The storage issue, and the lack of a SD card slot are the elephants in the room, and we will have to wait for the OVR statement on the reasoning. Those in the know claim this is part of a grand strategy towards a dedicated supported "VR ecosystem" building off of what was achieved with GVR - a "gateway VR platform" as it were. After reading the PCGamer interview I just posted here I can see what they are hoping to achieve, just not the way they are "encouraging" us to embrace their flavor of VR.

I expect OGO to sell well initially - what happens when buys find they are restricted in options regarding content... then we will see.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    The storage issue, and the lack of a SD card slot are the elephants in the room, and we will have to wait for the OVR statement on the reasoning. Those in the know claim this is part of a grand strategy towards a dedicated supported "VR ecosystem" building off of what was achieved with GVR - a "gateway VR platform" as it were. After reading the PCGamer interview I just posted here I can see what they are hoping to achieve, just not the way they are "encouraging" us to embrace their flavor of VR.

I expect OGO to sell well initially - what happens when buys find they are restricted in options regarding content... then we will see.
    How were the optics like? Still smudgy god rays? Or a lot cleaner?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Project 2501
    edited February 9
    LZoltowski said:

I have been evaluating the Samsung Odyssey for a project so have been spoilt of late. The OGO optics were blurry round the far edge (did not impact on immersion), but the pixels and colors were sharp. I could see that the GR's had not been eliminated but had been reduced. I also felt that the SD had also been reduced. I think the use of the new lens in support of the crisper display all work well.

One nice element about the OGO is the lack of light-leak, and the whole poorly fitting/connected mobile phone issues, (as well as the issue less spoken about of GVR phone overheating and failure). As said before, this will be the "Gateway" VR system of choice for me when demonstrating, unless the restrictions on available storage and connect-ability/ecosystem means I have to support HTC's Vision.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    LZoltowski said:

I have been evaluating the Samsung Odyssey for a project so have been spoilt of late. The OGO optics were blurry round the far edge (did not impact on immersion), but the pixels and colors were sharp. I could see that the GR's had not been eliminated but had been reduced. I also felt that the SD had also been reduced. I think the use of the new lens in support of the crisper display all work well.

One nice element about the OGO is the lack of light-leak, and the whole poorly fitting/connected mobile phone issues, (as well as the issue less spoken about of GVR phone overheating and failure). As said before, this will be the "Gateway" VR system of choice for me when demonstrating, unless the restrictions on available storage and connect-ability/ecosystem means I have to support HTC's Vision.
    Ah that's great .. 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 570
    Neo
    sry but even 64GB is IMHO way to small.  We need 128 MINIMUM.  The lack of a dedicated earphone jack and storage expansion is also a huge boon.

Was seriously considering this.....but now will give it a firm pass.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,025 Power Poster
    edited February 9
    Digikid1 said:
    sry but even 64GB is IMHO way to small.  We need 128 MINIMUM.  The lack of a dedicated earphone jack and storage expansion is also a huge boon.

I believe GO does have a headphone jack if you don’t want to use the built-in speakers. 
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Project 2501
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 2,889 Valuable Player
    If people buy a movie on Blu-ray you get a UV code for your mobile. Will GO support such features? I doubt it. Which means you’ll have to buy it a second time from the likes of Netflicks or some other third party store. The GO has so much against it especially because Oculus want another closed Eco system. Easier to buy a Viewer for my phone which has access to iTunes and every other store where I can use my UV codes. 
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,931
    3Jane
    underwhelming
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,186
    Wintermute
    Atmos73 said:
    If people buy a movie on Blu-ray you get a UV code for your mobile. Will GO support such features? I doubt it. Which means you’ll have to buy it a second time from the likes of Netflicks or some other third party store. The GO has so much against it especially because Oculus want another closed Eco system. Easier to buy a Viewer for my phone which has access to iTunes and every other store where I can use my UV codes. 

Somehow I am not surprised...
    Why not wait and see - if it does you gonna buy one?
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 2,889 Valuable Player
    edited February 9
    No, for several reasons firstly like a lot of guys here I’m a PC gamer and playing games on anything less is a waste even though I really like the look of Santa Cruz.

Second I don’t see myself watching movies on a HMD - yet, but I do see VR replacing my projector in the future once the optics and resolution are perfected.

Thirdly Sony, Samsung and Apple are not producing Standalones yet and they’re going to be the big players in the next five years.

Forth I just don’t see Oculus’s closed Eco system being able to convince enough people to make it a viable solution long term. Daydream and SteamVR are too strong and have too many backers. Oculus are dependant on Facebook funds and VR is Oculuses sole business.

So the GO is not for me but I wish them all the best.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer
    3Jane
    edited February 9
    wait so santa cruz is also a mobile/phone device?

i wonder where wed be if oculus took all the money and resources WASTED on these two products towards CV2.

VR isnt compelling enough in these devices to sell well IMO.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,075 Poster of the Week
    Atmos73 said:
    No, for several reasons firstly like a lot of guys here I’m a PC gamer and playing games on anything less is a waste even though I really like the look of Santa Cruz.

Second I don’t see myself watching movies on a HMD - yet, but I do see VR replacing my projector in the future once the optics and resolution are perfected.

On these you and I agree.
    This HMD isnt aimed at us it aimed at mid tier customers.
    WAAAGH!
    Digikid1 said:

Yes, it has a headphone jack.

Oculus Go also ships with integrated spatial audio. The speakers are built right into the headset, transporting you straight into VR and making the headset easy to share with someone else. If you need it, there’s also a 3.5mm headphone jack for private listening.
    3Jane
    “transporting you straight into VR” seriously?
    edited February 9
    danknugz said:
    “transporting you straight into VR” seriously?

Transports you there faster than setting up a Vive - i think that is the idea.

It's aimed at the mobile market and i think it will be a better user experience than the Gear VR - as an ex Gear VR owner i can tell you that the experiences were fantastic, the user experience was frustrating (when the phone overheated).  So in summary, my only gripe with the Gear VR was that i couldn't use it enough!  That's not a bad gripe to have really.

I'm lying - the storage was rubbish too!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 3,903 Power Poster
    danknugz said:

i wonder where wed be if oculus took all the money and resources WASTED on these two products towards CV2.

From what we know so far the Santa Cruz is a standalone device which in terms of specs should be somewhere between the Oculus Go and the Oculus Rift.

Personally I don't think the Santa Cruz is going to sell well at all but the Oculus Go is going to fly off shelves.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    danknugz said:

From what we know so far the Santa Cruz is a standalone device which in terms of specs should be somewhere between the Oculus Go and the Oculus Rift.

Personally I don't think the Santa Cruz is going to sell well at all but the Oculus Go is going to fly off shelves.

I'd like to wait until Santa Cruz is out rather than spend my money on the Go (i can't imagine going for the 32GB one) - clearly SC will be better, and both wireless but new tech just gets me too excited.