New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,527 Valuable Player
    danknugz said:
    wait so santa cruz is also a mobile/phone device?

No, it's not mobile/phone based. Use Google.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Atmos73 said:
    Thirdly Sony, Samsung and Apple are not producing Standalones yet and they’re going to be the big players in the next five years.

Hmm... so if Rift owners are okay to wait 2-3 years for a next Gen Rift, then you will post weekly about how bad that is. But if you wait 5 years for Sony, Samsung, and Apple to become "the big players" before you invest in anything else... then that's bragworthy.

You do realize that 5 years is longer than 2-3 years, right?

Also, no matter how big Sony, Samsung, and Apple become as "players," they will still remain behind Facebook-Oculus; at least over the next 5 years.
    snowdog said:
    Personally I don't think the Santa Cruz is going to sell well at all but the Oculus Go is going to fly off shelves.

One thing to consider is that SC will be the only way to get PC titles on a stand-alone device while also bringing Hand Presence in to VR with Touch Controllers.

No other device on the market will give both PC-based VR and Hand Presence with the superior Touch controller design other than Santa Cruz.

If anything, this headset will be huge in the business sector for all those business app's that will let employees use their hands. Eliminating the PC from the equation is what makes PCVR at the workplace sensible and achievable. And this is a cross-sector benefit: Education, Military, Medical, Financial, etc.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,704 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    The GO has so much against it especially because Oculus want another closed Eco system. Easier to buy a Viewer for my phone which has access to iTunes and every other store where I can use my UV codes. 

I am not going to write it off till we see the actual unit that the customers will buy and see the operation with the Eco system they propose. From what the developers have been playing with, this platform is different to how GVR works, but open enough to warrant some interest.

It is how the previous GVR owner who has just upgraded their phone so has no use for their older VR holster looks at moving on to the OGO? Or the "new to VR" customer. Will it be a seamless experience, - in fact will it be the iPhone for VR usage?

As a large percentage of GVR's were given away as part of contracts - the OGO $199 VR device has a lot to prove, this will be an important product to prove the validity of the market.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    @kevinw729

Do you still have access to the Oculus Go? Would it be possible for you to install Felix & Paul's Nomads to properly test the integrated spatial audio?

Regarding the omission of the SD card slot, it's important to note that to hit the incredibly tight $199 price, every tradeoff is painful. You're fitting the hardware found in last year's flagship-grade smartphone and a $130 MSRP headset+controller into a device that's supposed to be one-fifth the cost. Considering they not only managed to do this, but also provide improved display quality, lenses, and integrated audio as well is nothing short of an engineering marvel.

I asked John Carmack about this, and his response was that you can still load VR media onto a USB and connect it via OTG. Beyond that, there's heavy implications based on an FCC filing that a 64GB variant will be released. For the overwhelming majority of Gear VR users, this combination of options will be enough.

The number of posters on this thread meanwhile that criticize the headset purely because it's a mobile device is incredibly disappointing. It's easy to forget that for the longest time, the exact same sentiment was held of Oculus Rift compared to the graphics quality of non-VR AAA titles, and then again of the PSVR compared to the best looking PS4 titles. I'm also a PC gamer with a reasonably high end rig, and love me my grafix. However, I still appreciate the joy of optimized mobile games, and I greatly enjoy great Gear VR games.

I look forward to Oculus Go's disruptive affordability and convenience for the mainstream market to enter. With any luck, it will create a large enough impact that more devs can make a living off of creating VR content.
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 588
    Trinity
    edited February 2018
    I have a s7 phone with the 2017 gear vr, and I can't use it to watch my videos for very long, it seems to affect me somehow, my eyes I faintly remember, and a sense of nausea? I think its because the gear vr has a 60 frames per second frame rate. Whats the oculus go frames per second?
  • MoeCappMoeCapp Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    I'm disappointed if there's no SD slot. 3D video takes up a ton of space.
  • firagabirdfiragabird Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    MoeCapp said:
    I'm disappointed if there's no SD slot. 3D video takes up a ton of space.
    You can still load it onto a USB drive & watch it directly from there using OTG.
    S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.
  • TheModeVRTheModeVR Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    The OGO will have a USB port. Hoping we can do more with it then just charging or upgrading software. Carmack did mention that the USB can be used for external media (sort of). I know for sure that I'll probably hit a limit much like the iPad I bought for my kids. We have to uninstall old games so they can play new ones.

--------------------------------------------
    ModeVR
    GearVR w/Galaxy S7
    YouTube: http://bit.ly/ModeVRSub
    Twitterhttps://twitter.com/ModeVr
    Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/modevr/

You can still load it onto a USB drive & watch it directly from there using OTG.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    don't care what the context, Spock gifs get a like
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    edited February 2018
    Guys, I spend my likes amount for a month there... you make me blush ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player

ok ok I asked.

I see Spock has pretty much the same expression stroking a cat as he does when he's looking at a half naked woman and stroking his lute

Spock's wife disapproves

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    Telepathy and marriage never ends well
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis
    edited February 2018

so basically if i want to use it to view the 360 pictures and videos taken in the field with my 360 camera on microSD card i have to bring a computer with me ?

nice for a mobile device...

if confirmed , another shot in the foot for oculus.

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    If it manage USB OTG I don't see why you will have to bring a computer to watch your 360 video...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

edited February 2018

USB on-the-go would be ok as an alternative to a card reader. In some cases it might be better if it does away with the possibility that the recording device doesn't use the same type card as the headset. Even though SD seems to be pretty much the standard these days. Could even be a time-saver if it can play the files directly off the camera without having to transfer them or mess about with cards at all. Well, we just have to wait & see.

Edit.... and it could have the possibility of live-viewing the camera image. Ok I'm getting ahead of myself.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    Why would anyone buy the GO instead of Gear VR?

I think this will not sell and be a total bust. What's the killer app for the GO? A game platform is sold by games that can only be played on that platform. What Oculus GO games will motivate people to buy the platform? 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:

I think this will not sell and be a total bust. What's the killer app for the GO? A game platform is sold by games that can only be played on that platform. What Oculus GO games will motivate people to buy the platform? 

It isn't rocket surgery mate. Anyone without a Samsung phone that wants a high quality mobile VR experience. No Oculus Go exclusive games have been announced because it doesn't need any. It's binary compatible with the GearVR. We don't know if it's going to share the same storefront but even if it doesn't and a developer wants to have their GearVR game appearing in the new Oculus Go Store all they need to do is change the splash screens and submit it to Oculus.

This is great for developers because they can have the same game appear on two different stores with literally a few minutes work.

This device is going to sell a shitload imo.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • frostymintyfrostyminty Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    As long as I can have the same or better quality and experience with 360 pics and movies and theater experience as the rift I'm buying the go. I returned my rift because no games could hold my interest. 
    edited February 2018
    MowTin said:

How many times is this question going to get asked despite the very logical and valid answer being so blatantly apparent?

Gear VR required a specific type of phone. Not everyone owns that type of phone. In fact, millions of people own an entirely different type of phone, one that is incredibly successful but not at all compatible with the Gear VR. Those consumers will be able to get a Mobile VR headset for a great price without changing out their phones.

I'll let you figure out exactly which phones are involved.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,880 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    MowTin said:

How many times is this question going to get asked despite the very logical and valid answer being so blatantly apparent?

Gear VR required a specific type of phone. Not everyone owns that type of phone. In fact, millions of people own an entirely different type of phone, one that is incredibly successful but not at all compatible with the Gear VR. Those consumers will be able to get a Mobile VR headset for a great price without changing out their phones.

I'll let you figure out exactly which phones are involved.
    But I thought we were told to wait for Apple to become a big VR player in five years rather than buy GO this year. So confused!   :(
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    nalex66 said:
    But I thought we were told to wait for Apple to become a big VR player in five years rather than buy GO this year. So confused!   :(

I always assumed that the Apple prediction about them becoming a "big VR Player" was just about the company gaining too much weight, metaphorically speaking.

The all-in-one nature of Stand Alone VR headsets, like the Santa Cruz, are very much in line with Steve Jobs' vision of the future. But he aint around anymore, and Apple hasn't been the same since. By the time Apple becomes a Big VR Player, the current Big Players will be Colossal.
    I am interested in the comments "...why buy a OGO when there is GVR..." but you have to remember the old GVR is now outdated (new Samsung smartphone is out) - and even though we were shown a GVR2 that supports the new handset, no one has seen it since! So the OGO fills an important gap.

I think we may be due a big Samsung positioning announcement  - a possible linked to XBoneX involvement with WinMR**, then we can expect things to get really interesting.

** = just some ideal supposition, not confirmed by official sources.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    So far Oculus with its billion dollar backer Facebook have yet to take control of the PCVR market. Without Facebooks money the whole stack of cards collapses. It’s all about keeping the stacked before the mainstream wind blows them all down. Oculus are fighting to make the pyramid before Samsung suddenly say hello Xbox, Sony say hello Standalone and Apple say hello VR. You’ve got three highly funded ECO systems while Oculus struggles to gain market share with a product that cost one third less than its only rival.

Oculuses market share is about to take a nose dive before VR even gained mainstream traction. Samsung will not see GO take away it’s GearVR sales so Daydream will be Samsung’s focus.

Samsung and Apple command over 40% of the Mobile market between them while Oculus sits at zero. That’s a huge difference is terms of technological and marketing transitions, something I don’t see Oculus overcoming no matter what headset they put out. Nobody is going to ditch iTunes for the Oculus store and nobody will ditch their mobile for GO.

Sony will be aware like Microsoft was that if you let Oculus gain support you risk long term damage of your own company as Facebook are seen as a company only interested in its own longevity. Sony will only promote products of their own making as seen through their Movie studios.

Samsung saw the danger too and went Daydream.

The troops havent touched down on the battlefield yet while Oculus ridies off into the sunset forgetting the battle is behind them.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 812
    3Jane
    edited February 2018
    I wouldn't use GVR even if I had a phone that worked (now I do). The heat will just kill the $800 phone early anyway. In other words I'd take Go over GVR any day, and leave the phone pocketed. I still think Google is nuts for sticking with phone based VR. I suspect phone based VR will become a thing of the recent past.
    edited February 2018
    Atmos73 said:
    So far Oculus with its billion dollar backer Facebook have yet to take control of the PCVR market. Without Facebooks money the whole stack of cards collapses.

OMG dude - 2016 arguments again?!

Okay let's revisit the wrongfulness of your statements:
    1. You bought an HTC Vive yet without the Valve VR patents HTC would not have a Vive to make.
    2. Without Steam, the Vive would have no proper Storefront.
    3. Without the HTC Venture Capital Alliance trying to match Facebook's billions, HTC would have nothing to compete with.
    4. Without the money Google gave HTC, there would be no more Vive.

Also, Facebook's goal should never be to "take control of the PCVR market," as that would make them a Monopoly and monopolies are illegal. Facebook and Oculus are Leaders in the VR industry, and that is good enough. The products you choose and advocate for (Google DayDream, HTC Vive, and Pimax) fall in to the categories of "barely making it" and "a complete non-factor."

Oculuses market share is about to take a nose dive
    It is spelled Oculus' not Oculuses lol

However, the only thing that has taken a nose dive is your chosen HMD manufacturer, HTC. Oculus continues to gain ground globally and on Steam. Present day facts are completely absent from the rhetoric in your entire post.

Samsung and Apple command over 40% of the Mobile market between them while Oculus sits at zero.

False. Oculus powers the Gear VR which is the leading VR HMD (for years), and that is part of the mobile market. Apple mobile users have no ability to power a VR HMD, and Oculus GO will give them that power. Those who have spent the last 2 years hoping for Faceboook-Oculus to fail are in for a huge surprise with the release of GO and Santa Cruz. Get that wishful thinking bucket shined and ready! It's gonna get a lot of use in 2018 lol

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    Everything that @Zenbane said :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever