New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,704 Valuable Player
    I am always interested with those that fixate on the claimed number of GearVR's in operation - against the reality of the number of units that were dispatched*.

I know in our sector we have a shed-load of GVR's that were purchased as ride headsets, many as replacement models, never being actually used as consumer VR systems - but obviously their number appears on the overall 5million+ claim!

Always wondered why OVR just goes and reveals how many users (active) they have on the GVR storefront?

* = Samsung gave a number away, and a number of units were shipped under new phone contracts, so to use the word "sold" is specious.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    I would say a dedicated headset will sell less than GearVR and less than Daydream simply because the benefit of GO does not outweigh the price difference. You have to find a person who doesn’t own a mobile phone or viewer but interested in VR enough to jump straight in. They don’t exist.

Things might improve when Santa Cruz is £200 in 5 years time. 
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,880 Volunteer Moderator
    Atmos73 said:
    I would say a dedicated headset will sell less than GearVR and less than Daydream simply because the benefit of GO does not outweigh the price difference. You have to find a person who doesn’t own a mobile phone or viewer but interested in VR enough to jump straight in. They don’t exist.

Things might improve when Santa Cruz is £200 in 5 years time. 
    You keep repeating this strange idea that only someone who doesn't own a mobile phone would be interested in GO. I have an iPhone, but I have no interest in stuffing it into a (non-existent) phone holder to experience mobile VR. Personally, I would much rather have a dedicated device for VR that is separate from my phone.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,527 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Ok, how many units will the GO sell?

Lets see, I'll do some super rough math here to make my guess:
    • 55 million Galaxy S7 phones have been sold
    • 5 million Gear VR units have been sold total (2016, 2017, 2018 combined)
    • Based on these estimates, 10% of Galaxy S7 users will buy a Gear VR
    • 216 million iPhones were sold in 2017
    • 10% of 216 million is about 21.5 million
    Additional factors:
    1. Gear VR is powered by more than the Galaxy S7
    2. These are just estimates, combining single year with multi-year.
    3. This does not account for returns, defects, etc.

I would say that in 2018 around 4.5 million GO units will be sold. Assuming they release no later than March 31st.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Reverend_BrownReverend_Brown Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    The Go isn't a gaming console, so this isn't all about games anyway.  It's a general entertainment device, and will increasingly become a device that facilitates meaningful social interaction as well.  My prediction is that there will be factors that drive adoption to a significant degree that have little or nothing to do with gaming (this is already true of the Gear VR platform even at this early stage in the development of its social/communication features).

The number of OGO's that will be sold as 'VR demonstration' platforms will be huge, and I think will surprise the VR community. It will defiantly force HTC to reconsider launching their Focus in the West, and I would not be surprised if Samsung dusts off the scrapped concept for a non-phone-GVR and releases it!

Sadly, this was all foretold back in 2014 with the GAMEFACE! Wonder where those lads are now?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    I exist..Well, I though I existed. I have a phone, Honor 8, not compatible regrettably with GearVR. I have a Rift and I use it a lot for gaming (hardcore/sim/casual/etc.), and also to watch tons of movies, and the Go is a definitive must have for me for when I just want to watch a movie and I don't care positional tracking, want a better resolution and image clarity, and mainly because I really don't want to put my phone inside a device and plug earphones and turn Bluetooth on with a remote I'll bought separately and put all that on my head just to have my mom calling my cell (I tested this, give-up after few times).

I want a dedicated All in One near my bed to put straight on my head and enjoy. I tested the GearVR ready to use thanks to a friend and I enjoyed the ecosystem, games and app. But I don't want to be tided to a specific phone into a specific device, and my Honor 8 is My Precious.

OGO is for me, and as soon as I have the money and it's released, I'll have it for sure.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

edited February 2018
    Oculus GO is a consumer product, not a commercial product. If the VR demonstration platforms want to take advantage of these advances with "in home VR entertainment" then that's a good thing. But they should be more humble about it considering that they are in fact piggy backing off of the success of many "lads."
    .... be more humble about it considering that they are in fact piggy backing off of the success of many "lads."

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited February 2018
    "Sadly, this was all foretold back in 2014 with the GAMEFACE! "

I recall those 2014 predictions quite well, and they were opposite of what is happening today.

2014 VR Predictions, " The success of In-Home VR Entertainment will rely on the success of Out of Home VR entertainment."

2018 reality, "The success of Out of Home VR Entertainment relies on the success of In-Home VR Entertainment, as seen by the heavy dependency on Gear VR and Oculus GO (In-Home VR consumer products) being used at VR Arcades and Theme Parks."

I'm happy to see VR thriving in any industry for all products and services. But we should avoid rewriting history just because the journey makes some feel uncomfortable.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Additional factors:

I would say that in 2018 around 4.5 million GO units will be sold. Assuming they release no later than March 31st.

But Gear VR is not the same price as the GO. You can't assume the same adoption rate. It's also possible that many potential GO consumers who owned iPhones already bought a PSVR or switched to a Samsung phone.

It might sell well with kids so that's a possibility. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    I don't think it's going to sell that much this year tbh. Maybe half that imo.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited February 2018
    MowTin said:
    Zenbane said:
    Additional factors:

But Gear VR is not the same price as the GO. You can't assume the same adoption rate. It's also possible that many potential GO consumers who owned iPhones already bought a PSVR or switched to a Samsung phone.

It might sell well with kids so that's a possibility. 
    Zenbane seems to think OGO is in the very same potition GearVR was in when it launched. The difference is GearVR still exists as a direct alternative to OGO at half the price. Daydream now exists and is cheaper than GearVR open to more mobile phones than GearVR and in direct competition to GearVR.

So those 5 million GearVR sales would not be reached if the clock was reset today. Now add a third Platform to the mix and you get some idea of the reality of OGO.

Now will Samsung continue to support GearVR after OGOs released? Will Ready Player One have a big impact on VR as a whole? The public went big on 3D after Avatar and now 3D is losing support from the entire industry. VR could go the same way once the buzz has gone. 
    edited February 2018
    MowTin said:
    But Gear VR is not the same price as the GO. You can't assume the same adoption rate.

I did not assume the same adoption rate if you check the math I presented. I decreased the 10% adoption rate in order to make my final "guess." Also, Gear VR is far more expensive than GO if the consumer does not already have a compatible Android phone.

However, in thriving industries the adoption rate tends to increase over time (e.g. the Snowball Effect). So the truth is that GO will likely sell far more than I predicted. However, I wanted to keep my guess within the realm of "easily obtainable."

Your guess, on the other hand, is that it would flop. Which is highly nonsensical. But now that we both made our guesses, are you willing to toxx?

Atmos73 said:
    Zenbane seems to think OGO is in the very same potition GearVR was in when it launched. The difference is GearVR still exists as a direct alternative to OGO at half the price. Daydream now exists and is cheaper than GearVR open to more mobile phones than GearVR and in direct competition to GearVR.

All of that is incorrect. Gear VR is not a direct alternative for iPhone users, and Daydream is tied to the Google Store which is silly to even bring up as a real contender.

Oculus GO and Gear VR are more like technology "cousins" than direct competitors. Oculus staff have gone on record for saying that GO is an alternative for those who don't have a qualifying phone for Gear VR, and developers are encourage to build apps for Gear VR instead of focusing just on GO.

This is all stuff you have been informed of before, but continue to ignore. The outcome will be the same regardless, and the goal post will be moved again by the naysayers come Summer
    B)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    Here we go again....

Ill get the popcorn.
    Digikid1 said:
    Here we go again....

Ill get the popcorn.
    Don't worry I got a bag big enough for all of us.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,042 Valuable Player
    What's this toxx thing all about?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited February 2018
    snowdog said:
    What's this toxx thing all about?
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=toxx clause
    A rule originating on the Something Awful message boards that calls for the banning of a member who does not follow his own proclamation. These proclamations are typically in the form of "If X happens, I will do Y." The person who posts the claim is asked to follow through with his promised act or be banned for lying.

This rule originated from a forum member, Toxx, stating he would tape together the parts of his nether regions if a message board topic reached 5,000 replies. The Something Awful Administrator ordered that he post pictures of the completed act. No pictures were produced, and Toxx was banned as a result. The Toxx clause was instituted as a rule to discourage future members from making exaggerated claims.

So a Toxx could be if GO sells less than 21.5 million in 12 month Zenbane (his prediction) he must be banned for 1 year.

If GO sell more than 5 million in 12 months then I shall be banned for 1 year.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Fortunately only I wield the power to strike you people down harder than Ebola on steroids.  (well and other mods)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Ill leave this here:

9. Keep threads on-topic.
    Do not post irrelevant messages in topics. If you'd like to discuss something other than the topic with another member or members, either discuss it through PM's or make a new thread in the appropriate forum. Don't derail threads.

We should have an off-topic thread called THE THUNDERDOME and let you guys have at it! :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Atmos73 said:
    So a Toxx could be if GO sells less than 21.5 million in 12 month Zenbane (his prediction) he must be banned for 1 year.

If GO sell more than 5 million in 12 months then I shall be banned for 1 year.

Close. Read the Toxx rules again.

You and I would have to make a wager, and we only get banned if we fail to honor the wager.

So,
    "If GO sells less than 21.5 million in 12 months then Zenbane will stop talking about sales figures for one year."

Then if I get busted talking about sales figures during those 12 months, I get banned.

Back on topic,

My estimates put Oculus GO "behind" Gear VR in terms of overall sales. I don't think anyone has really tried to present Oculus GO as a Leader that will take the Number 1 spot in Mobile VR. That would probably be an exaggerated claim based on all the other current and future options. However, it is equally exaggeratory to state that Oculus GO has no market and will be a flop.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    I have a Samsung Note 8 that I love and have no desire to stuff into a GearVR for numerous reasons and I'm still buying an Oculus Go when it comes out. I want something that I can just throw on and quickly put a movie on from the couch or in bed etc that already has all the VR software on it, that doesn't require me to take my phone case off, that doesn't impede on my phone space (I carry 150 gigs of music with me lol) and that is just quick and ready to go.

That said, my main concern with the GO selling well is getting the word out and distinguishing itself enough from the latest batch of VR HMD's out there. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Why is this era ignoring Power Charge By WiFi?
    This tech is already over 10yrs old now!!!
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 220
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2018
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Why is this era ignoring Power Charge By WiFi?
    This tech is already over 10yrs old now!!!
    Do you mean wireless or WiFi ?
    Wifi charging is useless for any power consumption at the Go level unless there has been a million fold increase in power delivery since I last looked into it.

Wireless for the GO would be a pain as the GO would have to have a plate or receptacle to hold it whilst it is charging and would then still be in the way whilst not charging it, a wire connection takes up close to zero space when not in use plus can transfer data whilst charging.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Introduce Power Over WiFi (10yrs old tech used on mobiles)
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 220
    Nexus 6
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Introduce Power Over WiFi (10yrs old tech used on mobiles)
    Do you have a link as power via WiFi is only available at minuscule power levels.
    Wireless charging is a totally different process.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    so what is santa cruz exactly?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    danknugz said:
    so what is santa cruz exactly?

If GO is the mobile phone of the VR world, then Santa Cruz is the Smart Tablet or Laptop.

bringing the experience of PC-quality virtual reality to an untethered headset.

http://www.techradar.com/news/project-santa-cruz