New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

1235»

Comments

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    flaccid.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • iPadCaryVRiPadCaryVR Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    kevinw729 said:
    Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce
    the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.
  • laserjrlaserjr Posts: 10 Oculus Start Member
    Mradr said:
    32GB of storage is actually quite a bit really for mobile games. There would not be a lot of just "add on" apps like a phone has, email, pictures, or text. They don't have long running games such as mmos and with limits to hardware - it really puts the breaks on what can or can not be possible. One thing they should've maybe thought about is maybe upgradable storage banks instead.

Yes, SD cards run the risk of not being good - but it would've been nice to have the ability to add a SSD to the device as a upgradable storage unit instead. SATA technology doesn't really cost that much to add to a device. Something maybe the next version can look into replicating in the future. As for where the drive can rest - in the pocket or in a slot in the back of the headset.
    I don't think it is that much space actually, I have a handful of GearVR games that are 4-6gb each, plus apps like Jaunt or NextVR that offer downloadable 360 videos that are def in the gb's in size. I have a feeling a person with anything but a tiny library will have to uninstall things quite a bit in order to install a different app.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,708 Valuable Player
    laserjr said:
    I don't think it is that much space actually, I have a handful of GearVR games that are 4-6gb each, plus apps like Jaunt or NextVR that offer downloadable 360 videos that are def in the gb's in size. I have a feeling a person with anything but a tiny library will have to uninstall things quite a bit in order to install a different app.

I have to agree, the two size offering do seem to be on the skimpy side, when you remove the SD card slot.
    I am sure there is a plan towards doing this, that may be linked to the new cross platform support infrastructure to be announced at the FB event - but it still seems like a missed opportunity - and is a SD slot such an expense to add to the hardware? Either way, I think this unit will sell well.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • JonJonXDJonJonXD Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2018
    I am not expecting much from OGO from a general consumer perspective. I can see it working for VR demos and PR type outings, but not something your average consumer is going to buy.

Anyone I know that got a GearVR doesn't use it, so I'd like to see what the active user stats of that device, daydream, etc. actually are.

Realistically, though the price range is awesome, your average consumer will go PSVR before anything else, if they want to have a VR experience. It's the platform that is most accessible and makes the most sense.

I am confident that there are more PS4 owners interested in VR than there are people without PS4s interested in VR, especially when PSVR will have more content that people will actually want accessible to them.

However, I do respect and understand the technological feat this product brings, and see it as a stepping stone to future products and the evolution of entertainment consumption. I just don't see this product being a massive hit, given the market for VR today.
    PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

edited March 2018
    JonJonXD said:
    I am not expecting much from OGO from a general consumer perspective. I can see it working for VR demos and PR type outings, but not something your average consumer is going to buy.

Anyone I know that got a GearVR doesn't use it, so I'd like to see what the active user stats of that device, daydream, etc. actually are.

Realistically, though the price range is awesome, your average consumer will go PSVR before anything else, if they want to have a VR experience. It's the platform that is most accessible and makes the most sense.

I am confident that there are more PS4 owners interested in VR than there are people without PS4s interested in VR, especially when PSVR will have more content that people will actually want accessible to them.

However, I do respect and understand the technological feat this product brings, and see it as a stepping stone to future products and the evolution of entertainment consumption. I just don't see this product being a massive hit, given the market for VR today.
    I'm also guessing it probably won't be a huge hit, but I don't see it being a flop either. Everyone I know who wants a GearVR has an iPhone, and they aren't about to switch just to get a headset. Even I only gave up my iPhone to get the Gear, now that OGO is coming I may be able to switch back to iOS now.

I can see kids getting this, they're the ones who possibly don't have phones yet, this could take the place of their 3DS.
    laserjr said:
    I can see kids getting this, they're the ones who possibly don't have phones yet, this could take the place of their 3DS.
    I see this as the main point - following up from the whole Samsung phone issue, now that there is no phone loyalty involved it should be a simple "portable VR" solution.

I do expect this to have a good run - and will be a great demo tool for developers of bigger projects. The analogy with 3DS is app on so many levels, all but for storage! But that is a small issue compared to what this could be as part of a strong ecosystem that supports all platforms as one.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    Just a question that was asked of me when I showed the Android central article to a friend. 

Does it have built in Wifi?
    edited March 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    Just a question that was asked of me when I showed the Android central article to a friend. 

Does it have built in Wifi?
    Surely it must, otherwise I don't know how you'd get the games onto it.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    Cable Connection is one way. 
    Digikid1 said:
    Cable Connection is one way. 
    Yeah but cable connection to what? A desktop? Then they'd have to create a desktop app to buy games?
    I'm sure the setup will be basically the exact the same setup as the existing GearVR exosystem, with the Oculus app as the main hub for the OS.
    laserjr said:
    I'm sure the setup will be basically the exact the same setup as the existing GearVR exosystem, with the Oculus app as the main hub for the OS.
    The new ecosystem, post GearVR will be revealed at the coming FB event in a couple of weeks time - and a single solution environment to support all systems is expected to be one of the announcements - but still speculative on detail till the day.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • KrystmKrystm Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Pretty sure it has to have WiFi with logos like Netflix and Hulu on the box. (At least the pics I saw). I am hoping to use this as a solution to video in bed once wife goes to sleep (she’s usually out an hour or 2 before me) as the light from the tv bothers her. And hoping plex does their add in or at least a work around is done.
  • SJQSSJQS Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Will the Oculus Go be a completely closed ecosystem?
    Can third party Non-Market apps be installed and launched?
    For example, we have specific apps for therapy and other internal corporate apps that currently we have to load manually and have no intention of releasing these apps to the wider general public… Does anyone know what the policy is for third-party internal corporate use with the OGO?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,528 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    SJQS said:
    Will the Oculus Go be a completely closed ecosystem?
    Can third party Non-Market apps be installed and launched?
    For example, we have specific apps for therapy and other internal corporate apps that currently we have to load manually and have no intention of releasing these apps to the wider general public… Does anyone know what the policy is for third-party internal corporate use with the OGO?

I would create a ticket asking here: https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,044 Valuable Player
    I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem, they will probably have a third party check box the way they do for Rifts.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    danknugz said:
    VR isnt compelling enough in these devices to sell well IMO.
    This is my gut feeling too. Time will tell.
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited March 2018
    JonJonXD said:

However, I do respect and understand the technological feat this product brings, and see it as a stepping stone to future products and the evolution of entertainment consumption. I just don't see this product being a massive hit, given the market for VR Today.
    You're talking about Sony users as if Oculus can do anything about that with Go. That's not the market aim with GO. It's the IPhone/Nonsamsung Phone users mostly and also feeling things out. Secondly, those products aren't close to comparable priced. You still have to buy a Playstation for 300 bucks (really need the Pro though for decent visuals), then the PSVR for 300 bucks. (Also a barrier to entry for Xbox Users) That's a far cry from jumping right into OGO and playing at 199. Not to mention the obvious, OGO is mobile and PSVR is not and you can use the OGO anywhere with no wires hanging off it. 

One of the main problems with GearVR is inconvenience. You gotta clean your phone screen so your visuals don't look like crap in the phone, then you gotta take your case off and plug your phone into it... it's a hassle for a quick use. The go is just there ready. Throw it on and that's it. I don't think OGO will change much as 3DoF is a negative, but I think they'll sell enough to make a profit at least. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • DilipDilip Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    Attached micro usb drive to a sleek headset will look like tumor of VR hmd :p ,

Even sad part attached things have tendency to get lost in handling also being plunged in and out multiple times decays slot too. Obviously not as fast as charging slot of smart phone.

Imo OGO micro usb slot will get double hit in this case due to charging plug + Storage drive point plug in plug out....
    Dilip said:
    Imo OGO micro usb slot will get double hit in this case due to charging plug + Storage drive point plug in plug out....

I like how Carmack become the voice of reason against corporate excess - I agree this comprise solution is going to prove to be a bit of a speed-bump. Its "after launch" solution, also makes me wonder that some people inside OVR have been fighting a cause that has only now been recognised.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • DilipDilip Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    Don't know about half positional tracking (only headset 6DoF & Controller 3DoF)... But for SD Expansion slot i rather invest on mirage solo then limiting my self to 64 GB.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/virtual-reality-and-smart-devices/virtual-and-augmented-reality/lenovo-mirage-solo/c/mirage-solo

I have used MOTO G First Gen , i am still using it as my 3rd mobile. There were arguments it supports OTG, no SD expansion slot is still only thing i hate about that device.