New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How many Oculus headset can I connect to a single powerfull PC simultaniuosly?

robvaz5857robvaz5857 Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hey guys, I'm an educational software developer and I want to know how many Oculus Googles can be connected and used at the ssame time to a single powerfull PC? I want to build a laboratory and I want to know if can use a server with terminals and connect multiples Oculus headset at the same time with differents desktops(users)? I will buy a couple hundreds if it works to a single PC.

Comments

• NilamYTNilamYT Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Depends on how powerful you are talking here...
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,424 Volunteer Moderator
    The Oculus runtime only supports a single headset on a PC.

• lemondemonlemondemon Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    What if you have a double headset, won't it be able to support it?
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 293
    Nexus 6

I had a similar question, as when I watch a film on SkyboxVR I would be good if I can watch a film with my partner in our own private cinema!

Thought about buying a USB & HDMI Y-splitter and connecting two headsets to the feed.

But IF that would work I assume only one headset would control the viewpoint?

RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,450 Volunteer Moderator

I had a similar question, as when I watch a film on SkyboxVR I would be good if I can watch a film with my partner in our own private cinema!

Thought about buying a USB & HDMI Y-splitter and connecting two headsets to the feed.

That won’t work, each headset needs its own PC. You can watch movies together with other users in apps like Big Screen Beta. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,213 Valuable Player
    To make things PERFECTLY CLEAR...

ONE PC = ONE Headset.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Don't think it's possible but. mind you, someone hooked up a Vive and a Rift to a single computer.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,720 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018

Wow, I'd never have thought of doing that. Could this be the beginning of a beautiful relationship? (that's a rhetorical btw in case anyone is thinking of a bait post).

Very clever though.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    You can also build a PC that runs two GPU's on one CPU with two different windows instances using Virtualisation

Not sure if the Rift would support that! In theory, it should.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    that may be getting towards the realms of... better off buying 2 PCs territory... but I love the tech behind these ideas
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
    On the virtualisation side, it depends on how the display is handled. The rift needs special support inside of the nvidia/amd drivers (for direct mode display connection), so those would need to support virtualisation (so it would depend on where the gfx drivers were sitting, above or below the virtualisation layer). Who knows.

One thing we know, the rift is extremely fussy about usb and hdmi ports and some people have enough trouble getting it to work on a typical PC. Making it jump through extra hoops is going to reduce it's chance of working.

edited February 2018

LZ, you have the job (and the resources) to undertake this mission, good luck

(I suggest starting by lowering yourself from a cable suspended from the centre of the ceiling)

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player

It won't work, the GPU requirments for 1 HMD are high enough, and it was only designed for 1 HMD per PC.  But you could probably buy a couple of GearVRs and watch films with your partner using those instead of the PC.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,161 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:

ONE PC = ONE Headset.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited February 2018
    Interestingly, you can connect 2 PCs together to use just 1 mouse & monitor and so surely you can then connect each a HMD but use just the one installation of software?
    It really should not be a case of buying double your games/apps for each computer!
  • GlaidrGlaidr Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    TL:DR = Possible using virtualisation, but would just be SO much easier/cheaper getting minimum spec VR PC's

You could use virtualisation. Set up correctly it COULD be possible, but i'm not sure how that would work with GPU's etc. I've heard doing this kind of thing is a lot easier on a Linix machine as well, as windows has some outdated practices on resource management. 

The other problem you will run into, is when getting to that level of performance, the price jumps exponentially. 

In the end, if would be MUCH cheaper, running multiple headsets on multiple minimum spec PC's, using a pre-built image to ensure all computers are the same, lock everything down with group policy so that students cannot access anything they shouldn't, and then finally using something like Impero to monitor. 

Edit: Regardless of what you would do, you would need duplicate software/games/apps for each HMD

• iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    Digikid1 said:

ONE PC = ONE Headset.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited February 2018
    No, I don't believe virtual machines will work as they don't typically have direct access to the GPU (at least not without some complex configurations) so VR won't function. And, even assuming it would work (I don't think it would), VR is usually very intensive graphically and it's already a struggle to hit 90fps with one app running dedicated on a PC, so running two or more 3D apps (plus the VM overhead) on one machine does not seem feasible.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • drdreddfuldrdreddful Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hey guys, I'm an educational software developer and I want to know how many Oculus Googles can be connected and used at the ssame time to a single powerfull PC? I want to build a laboratory and I want to know if can use a server with terminals and connect multiples Oculus headset at the same time with differents desktops(users)? I will buy a couple hundreds if it works to a single PC.
    Might be able to use it with a VM machine, but simultaneously on one PC might not play well with the resources, good luck be curious to see if you get it working  
  • Tiberius1272Tiberius1272 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited February 2019
    I wonder if Ibik Astor would work with multiple GPUs in one PC with multi headsets.  Might need an add in USB 3.0 card too.

https://www.ibik.ru/
  • Eradicator99Eradicator99 Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    In time, the tech will evolve. I built a KA machine last Mar but waited for the latest Rift update to buy the tech. I'd love to take my sweetheart into the ole west to resend some zombies to their maker but we just aren't there yet.....it will come.

I built my 1st machine for my home in '81, 8086 or 8088? chip(was more than a moment ago)......I'm loving the evolution over the past 40 years......but it hasn't been the "accepters" who have driven it, it has been the innovators, the guys who "rig things up" to make them work, who solve the next puzzle.....to them, thank you!

erad
  • QuantumIAIQuantumIAI Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 20
    I believe I should be able to run two rifts off one machine. My desktop has an i9 processor, 16gb RAM, NVIDIA 2080 w/16gb RAM. I have 8 3.0 USB ports and the 2080 has 4 DCI(?) and 1 HDMI output.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to;

How many Oculus forum one post wonders does it take to change a light bulb?

Just kidding, my bad, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

I believe I should be able to run two rifts off one machine. My desktop has an i9 processor, 16gb RAM, NVIDIA 2080 w/16gb RAM. I have 8 3.0 USB ports and the 2080 has 4 DCI(?) and 1 HDMI output.

To quote myself from the top of this thread: "The Oculus runtime only supports a single headset on a PC."
    That is still true. It doesn't matter what your hardware is, the Oculus runtime only supports a single headset on a PC.