New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

What are you working on?

DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 375
Trinity
After posting my first sculpt, it was quite a while until I got around to making a sketchbook thread.  Sometimes I wanted to post an individual piece, but there really didn't seem to be a place to do that.  Even now, I don't usually post "in-progress" sketches that I may or may not get back to, and generally use finished/mostly finished sculpts in the sketchbook. 

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see what other people are working on once they've posted their "First Medium Sculpt", so here's a place to do that :)

Comments

• Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 10
    pretty sweet LZoltowski. I am making some Michael Angelo fanart...I have no idea where i am going with this to be honest. I was chatting in Medium with Kevin Ang whilst sculpting. Will probably let this one rest a few days.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,189 Volunteer Moderator
    Henri1970 said:
    pretty sweet LZoltowski. I am making some Michael Angelo fanart...I have no idea where i am going with this to be honest. I was chatting in Medium with Kevin Ang whilst sculpting.

I really like your style ... it has a Rembrandt-esque feel to it mixed in with whimsy and an almost Vermeer quality to it with a sprinkling of Dali. It feels both flat and multi-dimensional at the same time. There is both light and darkness there. Great balance.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 375
    Trinity
    He looks pretty serious, really like the pose and the face detail you have started there
    DeadlyJoe said:
    I've got a skyscraper-crushing dragon in the works. I'm going to model the city block and buildings in Blender. Tons of detail work to do on this one.

I was planning to do a dragon after my orc ... as I am living the fantasy world at the moment .. looking great!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Trinity
    That is insanely crisp
    @InkyTheOctopus our "Crispy" master ...

• Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Crispy crunchie!
  • lemondemonlemondemon Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Im working on a full body sculpt. Have never done anatomy before, so its a learning experience..

Im watching the World of Warcraft movie in Medium while sculpting.

You are incredibly talented!
    Im working on a full body sculpt. Have never done anatomy before, so its a learning experience..

Im watching the World of Warcraft movie in Medium while sculpting.

You are incredibly talented!
    Aww thanks ...but half the credit goes to the Oculus Medium team, its super intuitive to use and has almost no learning curve. I wasn't able to do something like this 3 weeks ago. I finished the sculpt now.. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61683/lzoltowski-sketchbook#latest

Trinity
    Nice Buildings! 
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 760
    3Jane
    edited February 13
    Nice Buildings! 

Thanks. This was my first time making buildings in Blender. I followed this tutorial by Blender Guru which made it super easy. I think I'm going to keep these, but I will be adding proper entry ways and rooftop accouterments as I flesh out the rest of the city. 

Trinity
    Good reference, have to find some time to learn Blender
  • lemondemonlemondemon Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    How much time did it take you to do each of them?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,497 Poster of the Week
    Going to retop and substance and cycles the bejeezus out this guy. Be nice to explore that side of things without the self-imposed pressure of trying to catch a likeness.

P3nT4gR4m said:
    Going to retop and substance and cycles the bejeezus out this guy. Be nice to explore that side of things without the self-imposed pressure of trying to catch a likeness.

Omg, yes! Have you tried SUbstance Painter particles yet? Its witchraft. You can make really great natural blood drips with it.. I use them for a wet map for my orc (rain)

@LZoltowski Seen tuts about that but not tried it out yet. Might have a go with this guy
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    @LZoltowski Seen tuts about that but not tried it out yet. Might have a go with this guy
    Its super good and crazy clever and easy too.

TIP:
    Make a blood material or get it from substance share, apply it to the entire model and give that layer a black mask.
    Use the particles to paint with white to reveal the bloody parts.

If your model doesn't have a normal map with it ..make sure u set Normal Factor to 0 (ALWAYS). Otherwise, the particles won't stick to the geometry properly. 

So this rock ... all I did was paint some blood at the top edge, the blood then streaked and flowed over the rock automagically. You can set friction, speed, spread, gravity etc ...

3Jane
    edited February 13
    How much time did it take you to do each of them?

About 10 to 15 minutes each, but I've been using Blender for years and I know most of the short cuts and quirks.  The more complex building in the front is just two buildings overlapping with a roof stitched in to kind of blend them together, there's nothing really special going on there. The nice thing about importing into Medium is that the meshes don't actually need to be properly solid or closed, they just need to overlap so that there are no open ends. That reduces modeling time in Blender.
    3Jane
    the blood then streaked and flowed over the rock automagically. You can set friction, speed, spread, gravity etc ...

Wow. I had no idea it could do that. I'm going to have to try it now.
    I have started my next project today. I'm going to be working on a cyberpunk cop from a dystopian future. STarted on the helmet today. @InkyTheOctopus 's hard surfaces are insane, and inspired me to do something like that.

Head is retopped and baked. I love how I'm getting to the stage where I can just casually do this shit in a coiuple of hours. Grinning like a lunatic right now. Tomorrow I'll tidy up the unwrap, do the teeth and gums, knock out a couple of eyeballs, spot of oversculpt in blender then it'll be off for a weekend in substance.

Fantastic work on the retopo, how did you get that normal map generated ?

Baked it in blender, along with the diffuse.
    So it turns out there are advantages to getting woken up at half four in the morning by an incontinent dog!

Here he is in substance, straight out of blender. All the detailing is still remapped Medium at this point

Now with a smart skin material and some masking

Couple of iffy polys around the left eye. I'll take a look at that tonight.
    @LZoltowski Dude, you are the god of sex! Tried the particles thing tonight and what a trip! Could have handballed it for sure but that would have taken hours and no way as satisfying as as just watching the blood dribbling down his face in realtime.

Eyes look shonky as hell because they're modelled with separate lenses and I don't take those into substance. They're just clear, shiny blobs with a diffraction index so there's no point them being there and they'd just get in the way

And here he is in cycles with the lenses in place. Still need a bit of work but I won't know for sure until I set up the final lighting. Right now I just have two sun sources for speed but they're hopeless for lighting eyes. Iffy polys still haven't been sorted but they're on my list

@P3nT4gR4m looking tight! The blood looks very natural! The particles are amazing. I did a test the other night where I used the rain emitter to create a wet map on a model so it looks like it's in a rainy environment. Blew my mind. Painting both Metalic and Normal map on top gave the drops a little bump too so they would look natural.