New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What are you working on?

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    @LZoltowski Thanks, mate! I'm still not totally confident with my body anatomy but this seems to be coming together okayish

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 725
    3Jane
    Cool to see the progress, definitely getting stronger
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Finding that I'm more interested in textures than actual finished pieces lately.  Shifting through projects pretty rapidly, building up a stamp library. A snapshot from a portion of last nights journey, grabbed with the windows snip tool.  Entirely done with colored stamps,  no paint actually applied directly to the image. Used the move tool and some reverse stamps.

Loving the Egyptian / Stargate aesthetic. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Boots and feet. 

Caroline in looking okay(ish) from the front but side views are really showing up the skinny arms and wrong legs. Bit more work still to do there.

3Jane
    edited September 2018
    @P3nT4gR4m ; Two full figures is a lot of work.  Ambitious project. Coming along nicely.

Last night I continued with the previous project, found the upper layer limit appears to be somewhere between 100-110, so now have to delete layers to make room for more.  Gave me a hashtag error and maximum layers exceeded (since each object/texture had its own layer).  Just the same, lots of room to work with.  Went through numerous variations, will dig through the images at some point in the relatively near future.  Learned a lot, and had fun playing with the lightbulbs as well.  So much new territory to explore.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player

Building a voxel city street, laying down every cube individually! (killme)
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    FrozenPea said:

Building a voxel city street, laying down every cube individually! (killme)
    Well that should keep you busy for a few thousand hours....  Cool concept.  Meticulous but cool :)
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    Here's the second to last image I took before I passed out last night.  Not sure if this is the point I'll continue from, but it was easy to locate in my file folder

zoomed in a bit, since the other is a long distance view, still just stamps, lightbulbs and move tool.  May eventually add some paint, but not yet

You ever tried exporting this stuff into HOME and create a gallery of your work? @DreamShaper ? Would love to visit your exhibition
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

3Jane
    You ever tried exporting this stuff into HOME and create a gallery of your work? @DreamShaper ? Would love to visit your exhibition
    Haven't set that up yet? Thought that had some kind of conflict with medium?  Is there a maximum file size?
    Haven't set that up yet? Thought that had some kind of conflict with medium?  Is there a maximum file size?
    Works fine, medium is really good ad decimating the mesh to fit within the file limit.

3Jane
    Works fine, medium is really good ad decimating the mesh to fit within the file limit.
    Cool.  Not quite sure how to go about that, but I'm sure the info is out there.  Is that the beta build, or can you do it with the standard build now?
    Cool.  Not quite sure how to go about that, but I'm sure the info is out there.  Is that the beta build, or can you do it with the standard build now?

You can do it now, in Medium .. go to Share ... and select Home .. simple as that
    then when you are in home, open the objects menu and it should automatically be in My imported objects

• squidbeamsquidbeam Posts: 94 Oculus Start Member
    edited September 2018
    Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread... ignore my post :)
    The key to these big projects for me is to break it down into chunks. Tonight wasn't about sculpting two figures. It was about sculpting a right leg. I used the ecorche ref mesh to lay out the muscles. Tomorrow I'll pull up some photo refs and finish off the knee and the foot and tidy up anything else. Then I'll tackle the left leg. It's a long haul. One step at a time

Left leg was bugging me so I brought that up to the same stage as the right. I'll detail both the knees and feet together. Also did a bit of blocking on the arms just to get the scale a bit better. They were way too skinny before. Forearms especially. Think I probably need to go a bit more still?

edited September 2018
    Nice progress @P3nT4gR4m

Some frames from the animation, will be posting the full breakdown + video on my sketchbook later in the week.

Renders are going slow AF, so far this project is taking up 150GB of space :)

Total frames in animation around 3250 x 11 passes, that is 35750 files in 16bit exr format. Phew. This has turned out to be a little bit more than just a cheeky little sculpt!

@LZoltowski holy shit dude if that hd dies it'll be for a noble cause. That's looking awesome 
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    @LZoltowski holy shit dude if that hd dies it'll be for a noble cause. That's looking awesome 
    Heh thank you, and ... don't say that! This is me before I go to bed every night while it renders:

sad will ferrell GIF

3Jane
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Left leg was bugging me so I brought that up to the same stage as the right. I'll detail both the knees and feet together. Also did a bit of blocking on the arms just to get the scale a bit better. They were way too skinny before. Forearms especially. Think I probably need to go a bit more still?
    Questions like that are why anatomy is hard to do.  Feels like there's too much taper, so I think you're right, but very much still learning.  Going to have to follow the muscle groups out to decipher it.  She's standing on one leg so the weight is going to compress on that side, or maybe her upper leg muscles, something slightly off there, especially from the forward view.  Not going to put big money down on either of those opinions though.

Overall looks good, depending on how you dress her, if you do, may not matter at all.  Depends on how hard you want to push it, tricky business. 
    3Jane

Some frames from the animation, will be posting the full breakdown + video on my sketchbook later in the week.

Total frames in animation around 3250 x 11 passes, that is 35750 files in 16bit exr format. Phew. This has turned out to be a little bit more than just a cheeky little sculpt!
    If you aren't burning a hard drive for each sculpt, you aren't doing it right <g>
    really nice work
    edited September 2018

If you aren't burning a hard drive for each sculpt, you aren't doing it right <g>
    really nice work

Anyone at Medium team PUT .. THAT ... ON ... A ... T-SHIRT and a mug and sell it.

"If you aren't burning a hard drive for each sculpt, you aren't doing it right"

P3nT4gR4m said:
    Questions like that are why anatomy is hard to do.  Feels like there's too much taper, so I think you're right, but very much still learning.  Going to have to follow the muscle groups out to decipher it.  She's standing on one leg so the weight is going to compress on that side, or maybe her upper leg muscles, something slightly off there, especially from the forward view.  Not going to put big money down on either of those opinions though.

Overall looks good, depending on how you dress her, if you do, may not matter at all.  Depends on how hard you want to push it, tricky business. 
    Haha, yeah if I was dressing her there'd be no issue. Unfortunately she's a nude. Oh, and covered head to toe in snake tattoos but I'll jump off that particular bridge if and when I ever come to it  :s
    I'm beginning to think getting this right might take up the rest of my life. On the plus side, I'm finally learning a ton of anatomy which I've been procrastinating for waaay too long now so it's all gravy, albeit gravy that tastes like medicine  :'(

Yeah the back is an ocean of WTF - Kinda how I used to feel about ears. I'll dig out some refs at some point and have a stab at fixing it up

3Jane
    edited September 2018
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    I'm beginning to think getting this right might take up the rest of my life. On the plus side, I'm finally learning a ton of anatomy which I've been procrastinating for waaay too long now so it's all gravy, albeit gravy that tastes like medicine  :'(

Yeah the back is an ocean of WTF - Kinda how I used to feel about ears. I'll dig out some refs at some point and have a stab at fixing it up

Ya, backs are complex muscles that interact in strange ways.  No worries.  Anatomy only takes a lifetime to master.  You'll be getting results that will leave people's jaw dropping much sooner than that, but the perfectionist in you will see more, the more you learn. Like the faces, you will never be completely satisfied, even when you like the results. Embrace the journey. Tasty medicine!  Will look masterful by the time you are done.

Lower back is awesome, I think you nailed that muscle group around the spine.  Side profile is strong.  Legs are looking good. Foot looks good at this angle  Upper left facing scapula/shoulder area (?) will tie it together.  Definitely getting there overall.  Keep up the way you are going, and only you are going to see the places you want to improve.
    edited September 2018
    @P3nT4gR4m very nice, looking slick, not much I can fault here, also remember, when doing anatomy, just because a muscle is there, doesn't mean it has to be visible (unless it's flexing or the subject has like 0% body fat), so don't over think it or over detail it. See below, notice how there is no over-definition and what sells it is the shoulder blade.

Female half half frontFemale half half front

Thanks guys. After this I'm going to do some studies. Half my problem is I created a pose then went looking for refs after so now I'm stuck wondering what happens when everything stretches and bends just so. From what I remember in the face department, I'm going to be learning the muscles for a while then forgetting that and an concentrating on how the surface looks then trying to tie both those things together with the added confusion of things changing much more dramatically between poses than a face really does between expressions.

Stands to reason, I guess. Arms and legs can bend and rotate a lot more than eyebrows and noses. Who knew?  :D
    3Jane
    edited September 2018
    Learning my way around Oculus Home