What are you working on? - Page 13 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What are you working on?

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,700 Valuable Player
    Drew a line under the sculpting and moved over to substance/blender. Auto UV's are looking okay but I'm going to retop and unwrap Caroline so I can do the tattoos in 2-d in substance/photoshop.

So I decided againt retop so I could save myself a couple of hours and just paint the tats in 3d, in substance painter. Yay, I saved myself two hours. The paintjob is going to take a hundred years but at least I saved myself a whole two f'kin hours  :dizzy:

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 724
    3Jane
    Amazing

Two down. Another dozen or so ought to do it...

• charliemakescartoonscharliemakescartoons Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Working on adding details to characters. I haven't used Substance or the other programs mentioned but saving that til I get good at this first.

3Jane
    edited September 2018
    This has been through enough variants today, I'll pop this one up here.   Still early.  Maybe another one later, depending on what direction I decide to take with the rest of the evening

Earlier iteration, before I embraced the metal.  Versions before this, were stealth runs.  Ship and canyon walls made of essentially the same materials.  Interesting, but not exactly high contrast, so I'll skip those, for now. Most variants have a few elements I like, a few that I don't. Very much just doing exercises, trying to wrap my mind around texturing and lighting.  Still a lot of other things I want to try, so probably be a while until I push out a complete piece.

(hot swapped this one in, a bit further along)

I may still be clinging to the tattered remnants of my sanity at the end of this but I aint making any promises

Gave myself a break from the snakes tonight and did a bit of work on Caroline's face. 

The story so far...

• InkyTheOctopusInkyTheOctopus Posts: 243
    Nexus 6
    @DreamShaper here's the basic idea of how I use gridsnapping etc .  There's a compromise , wherein cuts / lines are dictated to a degree by the gridsnap space coordinates , even at the lowest setting (1) I often have to carve where the grid allows . 

3Jane
    @DreamShaper here's the basic idea of how I use gridsnapping etc .  There's a compromise , wherein cuts / lines are dictated to a degree by the gridsnap space coordinates , even at the lowest setting (1) I often have to carve where the grid allows .
    Awesome.  Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate that, and not blasting through the menus.  Appreciated
    3Jane
    @P3nT4gR4m
    Just keeps getting better.  Those trees in the background are hella cool too!
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    Loving the evolution of it @P3nT4gR4m ; .. keep going!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Bit of work on Fred tonight. Been putting off the snakes for too long now. Need to bite the bullet and get back in there.

3Jane
    Snapshot of a project I've been working on over the past couple days.  Quite a ways to go still, will be continuing with this one

Snapshot of a project I've been working on over the past couple days.  Quite a ways to go still, will be continuing with this one

THAT IS AWESOME!! I love the bioluminescent glow!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

3Jane
    LZoltowski said:
    THAT IS AWESOME!! I love the bioluminescent glow!
    Thanks, appreciate the motivation!  A few saves ago, I started a fork and changed all the materials settings.  A couple saves ago, I toned down the materials settings a bit, the blue on the upper part of the suction cup stamp was a bit overpowering. I think the coloring works better in video, but comes at a cost of detail.  Scene background was originally much more blue, so the overall lighting is stronger in that one.   I'll probably work with this one some more, and then backtrack and see how the other approach works.  Good opportunity to actually apply some of the stamps I've been working on, now that they're getting more organized and easier to find.

Threw in the towel with the handpainted scales and whipped up an alpha. Still takes ages but not stupid-ages any more

Looking awesome @P3nT4gR4m !

edited October 2018
    Sometimes I wonder how I managed to work without Medium and Substance Painter (thanks to @P3nT4gR4m
    for that!)

Im working on a project for a client and I needed a quick background object, a sort of floating island thing. 15 mins in medium, half an hour in substance and VOILA! Super low res mesh with baked normals from the high res Medium obj

Medium has really changed the way I create. 

3Jane
    Sometimes I wonder how I managed to work without Medium and Substance Painter (thanks to @P3nT4gR4m
    for that!)

Im working on a project for a client and I needed a quick background object, a sort of floating island thing. 15 mins in medium, half an hour in substance and VOILA! Super low res mesh with baked normals from the high res Medium obj

Substance is pretty awesome.  Not as awesome as being able to do that without leaving VR, just painting the textures on, would be, but still very cool.

Some sort of fractal paintbrush that used sliders and could save patterns would be a mind-blowing thing to see in medium.  If medium doesn't do it, really hoping that Allegorithmic fullly embraces their potential first mover advantage and goes all in on making a full VR tool.
    for that!)

Substance is pretty awesome.  Not as awesome as being able to do that without leaving VR, just painting the textures on, would be, but still very cool.

Some sort of fractal paintbrush that used sliders and could save patterns would be a mind-blowing thing to see in medium.  If medium doesn't do it, really hoping that Allegorithmic fullly embraces their potential first mover advantage and goes all in on making a full VR tool.
    That is the holy grail!

for that!)

That is the holy grail!
    VR Substance Painter. Soon as it drops I'm an unstoppable killing machine. Just putting that out there. 
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    for that!)

That is the holy grail!
    VR Substance Painter. Soon as it drops I'm an unstoppable killing machine. Just putting that out there. 

I very much doubt much is holding you back with the amount of the awesome work you are producing on a constant basis, my friend. But yeah SP in VR ... would be ... um .... EVERYTHING

3Jane
    edited October 2018

P3nT4gR4m said:

That is the holy grail!

I very much doubt much is holding you back with the amount of the awesome work you are producing on a constant basis, my friend. But yeah SP in VR ... would be ... um .... EVERYTHING
    A tech to keep hardware upgrades running smoothly, an IV system to keep a steady flow of nutrients, and we'd have it about covered... or maybe just plug into a vat... hmm... maybe just add substance painter
    Bit of work on the lighting, hair and another snake added to the collection...
    3Jane
    Nice hair!
    Was just having a bit of fun, a jelly-like a creature .. this was a test for some materials more than object quality, bit it looked pretty! 

@LZoltowski Holy crap, dude, what insane witchcraft is this?

P3nT4gR4m said:
    @LZoltowski Holy crap, dude, what insane witchcraft is this?

Heh thanks! ... it's actually a super simple medium sculpt + 2 materials, both are transparent with a Fresnel opacity fall of and 50% roughness, heavy light dispersion and animated pulsating gradient for the emissive parts that cast GI onto themselves. 

I am doing some experiments as I want to create an underwater Atlantis/Avatar scene that is entirely sculpted in medium. 

@LZoltowski  What you rendering it in? If it's blender, I'd love to see your nodes setup