New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What are you working on?

Comments

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 725
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Was just having a bit of fun, a jelly-like a creature .. this was a test for some materials more than object quality, bit it looked pretty! 

Oh ya, I love that.   Amazingly cool.  A whole scene like that would be amazingly cool to look at.  Looking forward to when something like this can be done/viewed inside vr.

Edit:  Did I say "amazingly cool" twice?  Did I mention that it was amazingly cool? Just wanted to be sure I got that in there :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    @LZoltowski  What you rendering it in? If it's blender, I'd love to see your nodes setup
    Autodesk 3ds Max, I'll take a screenshot when I can for you.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    edited October 2018
    Started working on some elements for my Atlantis project, going for that advanced civilisation with alien influences look The angle snap and grid will be so handy here.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

3Jane
    Love the theme, I've been collecting reference material for an Atlantis project ever since I started seriously looking at angle snap.  Curious to see how yours turns out.  Nice columns.
    Love the theme, I've been collecting reference material for an Atlantis project ever since I started seriously looking at angle snap.  Curious to see how yours turns out.  Nice columns.

Thank you, you have such a unique and fascinating art direction, I would love to see your interpretation of the theme.

3Jane
    edited October 2018

Thank you, you have such a unique and fascinating art direction, I would love to see your interpretation of the theme.
    Me too :)As someone who recently found out that aphantasia (inability to internally construct mental images in visual form while awake) is a thing, and who definitely has it, seeing how a piece of artwork actually turns out is endlessly fascinating.  I literally have to make the thing to have any idea of what it looks like, or how it all fits together.

Essentially I don't know how I'm going to interpret it until I actually set about to do it. Then the parts sort of assemble themselves as I watch it unfold.  Lots of aha moments and fun surprises.  There's a narrative, but no images.  It's sort of like what I'd imagine writing a book or movie script is like, and then seeing the film that some director and cast actually create from it, and it's completely different than what you thought it was.  Once all the footage is there, you can go back and re-edit it, rearrange the order, cut out parts, remix it, until the story feels right, by actually working with the reel.  

Or maybe a better analogy would be a compression format of some kind, like the pictures are all in a file somewhere on the computer, but they're all .zip files, with no preview images, but maybe have labels.  Once you decompress the file, and this is done one layer at a time until it's suddenly there to view.  Working in VR is a particularly good method for decompressing the image. 

As soon as you put it away, or refile it it's gone.  Sort of like hearing a new album from a band you like.  You may have a sense that you like the singer's voice, the guitarist is energetic, labels like that, but the album may be sort of what you expected it to sound like, or almost completely different from anything you heard before.  Once you've listened to it, and put it away it sort of fades away.  Unless you're really audio oriented you probably couldn't remember how a riff goes, what the lyrics were, or what notes were in the song.  As soon as you put the cd back in, it all sort of comes back and floods over you, maybe with the sense that you've heard it before.  Which is kind of how I feel when I reload a sculpt. 

The experience is like, making a song by improvising.  You try a few notes, they sound good together, you keep building on it, until you actually have a series of riffs that work good together.  You have experience with the tools, so you have a good idea of what might work well with what, but I suspect that most musicians don't really know what the guitar part of the song is going to sound like until its done.  If you improvise a long riff and don't record it, you may or may not be able to reconstruct the exact same riff later.  If it's recorded a listener might remember sort of how it goes, or how it makes them feel, but they're going to have to buy the album to really experience it again. Another musician might be able to quickly learn to "play it by ear", or they may have to actually watch it played, see where the fingers go on each note, and more or less memorize the sequence of physical movements. 

Hmm.  Seem to be rambling now.  Kind of a strange thing to try and explain.  Upshot is I don't have any idea what it would look like, but I know it would probably have pillars, pyramids, and crystals, feel somewhere between Byzantine and Egyptian, and likely be mostly done in light colored stone, or oranges, or greens, or purple.  Purple feels like a good color to work with. I might work heavily with references and try and build on the input, or maybe just start throwing shapes out there and seeing how they all connected.  Sort of put it into the field and then decide if it fit with some sort of internal concept of "Atlantean", and then maybe get an impulse to "change the color", look at the color wheel, see which one felt right, test it.  Or maybe grab the move tool and start manipulating the object until something clicked and the voice in my head would say, "ya, like that, more of that". 

What that would actually look like, I have no idea, to me it's all just keywords. 

Anyhow, the interpretation is always quite a surprise. 

Me too :)As someone who recently found out that aphantasia (inability to internally construct mental images in visual form while awake) is a thing, and who definitely has it, seeing how a piece of artwork actually turns out is endlessly fascinating.  I literally have to make the thing to have any idea of what it looks like, or how it all fits together.

Essentially I don't know how I'm going to interpret it until I actually set about to do it. Then the parts sort of assemble themselves as I watch it unfold.  Lots of aha moments and fun surprises.  There's a narrative, but no images.  It's sort of like what I'd imagine writing a book or movie script is like, and then seeing the film that some director and cast actually create from it, and it's completely different than what you thought it was.  Once all the footage is there, you can go back and re-edit it, rearrange the order, cut out parts, remix it, until the story feels right, by actually working with the reel.  

Or maybe a better analogy would be a compression format of some kind, like the pictures are all in a file somewhere on the computer, but they're all .zip files, with no preview images, but maybe have labels.  Once you decompress the file, and this is done one layer at a time until it's suddenly there to view.  Working in VR is a particularly good method for decompressing the image. 

As soon as you put it away, or refile it it's gone.  Sort of like hearing a new album from a band you like.  You may have a sense that you like the singer's voice, the guitarist is energetic, labels like that, but the album may be sort of what you expected it to sound like, or almost completely different from anything you heard before.  Once you've listened to it, and put it away it sort of fades away.  Unless you're really audio oriented you probably couldn't remember how a riff goes, what the lyrics were, or what notes were in the song.  As soon as you put the cd back in, it all sort of comes back and floods over you, maybe with the sense that you've heard it before.  Which is kind of how I feel when I reload a sculpt. 

The experience is like, making a song by improvising.  You try a few notes, they sound good together, you keep building on it, until you actually have a series of riffs that work good together.  You have experience with the tools, so you have a good idea of what might work well with what, but I suspect that most musicians don't really know what the guitar part of the song is going to sound like until its done.  If you improvise a long riff and don't record it, you may or may not be able to reconstruct the exact same riff later.  If it's recorded a listener might remember sort of how it goes, or how it makes them feel, but they're going to have to buy the album to really experience it again. Another musician might be able to quickly learn to "play it by ear", or they may have to actually watch it played, see where the fingers go on each note, and more or less memorize the sequence of physical movements. 

Hmm.  Seem to be rambling now.  Kind of a strange thing to try and explain.  Upshot is I don't have any idea what it would look like, but I know it would probably have pillars, pyramids, and crystals, feel somewhere between Byzantine and Egyptian, and likely be mostly done in light colored stone, or oranges, or greens, or purple.  Purple feels like a good color to work with. I might work heavily with references and try and build on the input, or maybe just start throwing shapes out there and seeing how they all connected.  Sort of put it into the field and then decide if it fit with some sort of internal concept of "Atlantean", and then maybe get an impulse to "change the color", look at the color wheel, see which one felt right, test it.  Or maybe grab the move tool and start manipulating the object until something clicked and the voice in my head would say, "ya, like that, more of that". 

What that would actually look like, I have no idea, to me it's all just keywords. 

Anyhow, the interpretation is always quite a surprise. 

That is amazing and fascinating, thanks for taking the time to write all that. It certainly shows in your creations, almost like seeing your imagination/process right in there, as you say, rather it being in your head.

3Jane

That is amazing and fascinating, thanks for taking the time to write all that. It certainly shows in your creations, almost like seeing your imagination/process right in there, as you say, rather it being in your head.
    Kind of blew my mind when I found out about it.  Sudden realization that my mind functions in a very different way than most people, on a really fundamental level.  Strange thing, I know it's in there somewhere, like just behind the ancient mist.  When I dream, I think I operate quite heavily in visual mode. At times I have very vivid and colorful dreams.  This morning, as I woke  up and was in that state of dream where it's still semi-lucid, and what I was looking at was very clearly visual imagery.  As I became aware that I was waking up, I tried to hold on to that picture, and I could almost feel a wave of neuro-chemicals washing over me, erasing it all.  By the time my eyes actually opened, every trace of imagery was gone, and I had no idea what it was that I had just been looking at. If I close my eyes now, all I see is a sort of soft black, like the field in medium before the picture has begun.  When I'm awake, it's always like that.   I can play with optical input if I'm looking at a line pattern, textured wall, or white movie screen,  just slightly, but it's on the actual surfaces I'm looking at, like a controlled hallucination of some kind, and not internalized at all.

VR is a fascinating tool set, and the art programs feel like holding a set of keys to a mystical doorway to an entirely different dimension

Working on the material, I like to work on a scene by just settling on the first element and the rest of the scene grows around it organically, don't want everything to be black, going for a tarnished light stone with metallic properties.

• iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Threw in the towel with the handpainted scales and whipped up an alpha. Still takes ages but not stupid-ages any more

What is this sculpt based on?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    @iJudgement is based on a story called "Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect" - he's a zombie serial killer and she's a serial suicide committer. 
    Atlantis interior coming along nicely, getting that sense of scale is tricky:

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Middle of last session, form starting to improve, gratuitous background image.  Still quite rough around the edges. A bit more progress, a surprising amount of time into this so far, considering where it's at. Very malleable process, just taking my time looking at different interactions .  Several more in my sketchbook.  Starting to move in the direction I want it to, but a long ways from where it's going.

Sculpted the two statues that are prepping the walls, in Atlantian armour (zoom in for more details)

Next will be some detail for the two distant columns and some sort of high priest between them doing an incantation:

Just experimenting with colour... any thoughts? Does this look more Atlantian?!

3Jane

I'm not sure, haven't been there lately... maybe the light changes depending on the time of day, or maybe Atlantis is in the eye of the beholder.  It's an interesting take on the concept.

I like the forward view a bit better, as a 2d shot.  Not sure why, maybe the amplified sense of symmetry and the repetition of the pyramid outline shape, like an amplification.  Gives it more of a "sacred geometry" type feel to it, like a procession hall.  The angle in the purple view, feels more like looking out an attic window, until you zoom in and realize just how massive the figures are.

Not sure which I'd react to better, if walking through it, for example in a 3d game space. I slightly prefer the light interplay on the purple scene, color wise, but it also feels more "contemporary" and I tend to see the supports more as wood, while on the green one, the supports have more of an "alien culture" kind of feel, with a familiar but not easily identifiable material. At the scale in this thread, I think the purple seems a bit sharper.  At the larger scale the green seems stronger, and I get a slightly better sense of presence.  Not sure if that's a color or angle thing.

Anyhow, kind of subjective.  It would be interesting to see the room on sort of a timelapse loop as the pyramid/lighting shifted through the seven colors of the rainbow's spectrum, as seen through a prism, but I'm guessing that would take a fair amount of render time, and colors may or may not work in each of the seven ranges.  Would create an interesting meditative or ceremonial space  that played on the whole crystal harmonic energy thing.

I'm not sure, haven't been there lately... maybe the light changes depending on the time of day, or maybe Atlantis is in the eye of the beholder.  It's an interesting take on the concept.

I like the forward view a bit better, as a 2d shot.  Not sure why, maybe the amplified sense of symmetry and the repetition of the pyramid outline shape, like an amplification.  Gives it more of a "sacred geometry" type feel to it, like a procession hall.  The angle in the purple view, feels more like looking out an attic window, until you zoom in and realize just how massive the figures are.

Not sure which I'd react to better, if walking through it, for example in a 3d game space. I slightly prefer the light interplay on the purple scene, color wise, but it also feels more "contemporary" and I tend to see the supports more as wood, while on the green one, the supports have more of an "alien culture" kind of feel, with a familiar but not easily identifiable material. At the scale in this thread, I think the purple seems a bit sharper.  At the larger scale the green seems stronger, and I get a slightly better sense of presence.  Not sure if that's a color or angle thing.

Anyhow, kind of subjective.  It would be interesting to see the room on sort of a timelapse loop as the pyramid/lighting shifted through the seven colors of the rainbow's spectrum, as seen through a prism, but I'm guessing that would take a fair amount of render time, and colors may or may not work in each of the seven ranges.  Would create an interesting meditative or ceremonial space  that played on the whole crystal harmonic energy thing.

I might do a render overnight with some colour shifts :P

Ill render it in 70p, should get around 300-400 frames in 15 hours! LOL

All good points and thank you for the input!

3Jane
    Spin-off project, single stamp test, metallic, different resolutions.  Move tool used on wings

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Main project. More work on the legs. Internal texturing, inflate, move, reposition, etc.  Suction cups  removed for now, since they are completely warped and out of position, they will be redone after the body form is finalized.  Same stamp from the above photo, with different materials settings, used heavily here.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited October 2018

I thought the light blue version looked a lot better. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    3Jane

I thought the light blue version looked a lot better. 
    Ya, the blue is nice.  Has a more "architectural" feel without the figures, I'm assuming they got put in when the continent started to rumble
    Yeah I like the blue colour scheme better .... its my fav colour combo :) My PC is lit the same way :)

Went back into medium and redid the face, smoothed out the eyes and tightened up the lips then redid the paintjob in Substance. Think she looks a bit less cartooney now? Now to finish off those snakes...

New artstation challenge

Been super busy recently but I managed to make some progress, completely rethought the lighting, so it has a more desert-like feel to it, changed materials and aged things.

Also inserted some rudimentary and temporary figures for scale, zoom in for details.

3Jane
     @LZoltowski
    Great Stuff
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    Not sure what it is I like about abstracts so much, definitely enjoy playing around with the native medium tools to see what I can get them to do in terms of rendering.  Spent another night just having fun geeking out on stamps and colors.
    Just grabbed pretty much everything I snapped a photo of and made them into a slideshow video,  and recorded with shadowplay.  Just followed the progress through the night in the order created.  Clicked through them fairly quickly, will probably have to pause the video if something catches your eye). Best viewed in HD 1080 full screen.

Probably my favorite from the video, just really like how the patterning works.  Might dig this one out and turn it into a fish

3Jane
    Mech Sketch. Rolling off the assembly line.  Probably enough for tonight on this one.