Running a Steam app from Oculus Home — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Running a Steam app from Oculus Home

rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 89 Oculus Start Member
edited April 2018 in Support
I encountered a problem with this as Steam will show (or it might also be hidden if Steam is minimized in the tray!) an "Allow Game Launch"-message destroying everything as you now have to remove your headset and click OK with the mouse, or have another person doing that...

I found no existing solutions so I share it here.
---

First allow Oculus to add the app by running it once from steam manually.
Now the app icon shows in Oculus Home.

To make the game run from Oculus Home without showing the stupid "allow"-message-box you have to edit the .json file "C:\Program Files\Oculus\CoreData\Manifests\C_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_NoLimits2_64bit_nolimits2stm.json" like this: {... "launchFile":"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\Steam.exe","launchParameters":" -applaunch 301320 -nosplash --vr", ...}

So instead of starting the game exe directly like Oculus does default, it is now done via Steam.exe.

Parameter "-applaunch 301320" should reflect the steam app id you want to run (you will find it in the URL of the game page on the steam web).
Parameter "--vr" and others after that will be sent to the app by steam apparently.

Restart service after editing the file to make the edit take.
Close Oculus Home, then run as cmd.exe as admin and enter:
> net stop "OVRService"
> net start "OVRService"
Or restart the computer.

Now the app will run from Oculus Home with a single click, and you can run it after other games without removing the VR-headset in between.

A command line or shortcut version would be
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 301320 -nosplash --vr 

The paths and names here are for NoLimits2 on my computer... You have to change them so it matches a steam game on your computer. Also the --vr option is specific for NoLimits2, so it might not exist for other games.

This was still a problem as of 1.23 of the oculus sw. Hope it helps someone.

Comments