New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Why Oculus Rift is so annoying ?

jsteamidjsteamid Posts: 16
NerveGear
edited February 12 in Support
First with the incompatible USB 3.0, at first I bought a VIA usb 3.0 not knowing that Oculus is very picky about chipset, even has a black and white list for it.
Second with the cable-ing, it's kinda short for overhead cable setup, while using extension is a hit and miss.

I've acquired pcie usb 3.0 port withFrescoLogic chipset so problem number one is solved, but even then, the OFFICIAL DRIVER is detected as OLD (wtf oculus), luckily I found a discussion about it and the solution to it is to use MICROSOFT DRIVER. 

I've given up with overhead cable setup because it's hard to find a working cable, my country doesnt have all of the cables listed working, so I would have to import if I want ones. The thing with importing stuffs here, it could bring high tension dealing with the dirty tax and duty officers, (that's why Amazon even offer a service to take care of stuffs like that with a deposit and it's quite high. 

With all that said, now I'm having another episode with Oculus, seems like this thing is really made to annoy its users. Even when I'm going to explain the problem right now, I'm having a lot of swear words popping out of my head wanting to be written in here, I'm trying really hard to keep it civil. WHY......Oculus Rift often turns on by itself randomly ????????????????????? and it's not because of the proximity sensor because I even take off the cover but it still turns itself on randomly and launches Oculus home, sometimes even when I'm in the middle of playing a game. How come even with a multibillion company backing it up, it still fails to deliver a problem free driver/software (or at least keep it minimum on the problem, since software side everything is bound to have bugs). I have searched about this problem and found ppl having this dated in 2015, now 2018 and counting.

So please, for the love of god, Oculus, keep your things together and fix the problems for good. I should have picked VIVE in the first place, I am genuinely disappointed with Oculus.

Seems like even Oculus employees also picked VIVE, because if they do use Oculus, they would have known the problem and iron it out.

Comments

• zork2001zork2001 Posts: 534
    Trinity

I feel your pain I have been having a lot of issues with Oculus since the creators Update. For some reason most games launched with oculus seems to have problems loading, I will get a couple second hour glass anytime something is happening; the image will often shift over slightly and than back to center and now it seems if my computer wakes up from sleep and I try to get into oculus it will freak out for a second and no image will not display on the rift until I reboot my machine.

I went back to the Vive, Oculus might be more comfortable but the first thing is it needs to work and the Vive has always worked since the first day it launched.  I had a better room tracking setup with the vive anyway and of course when Vive pro comes out I am sure I will just be using that one anyway so I guess I am done with the Rift for the foreseeable future… its been fun..kinda.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    Easiest thing to do about Home popping up is to Download oculus tray tool and when you aren't using the rift, stop the service. I used to get that random pop up as well but I haven't since I've been using dash with the beta/public test channel. 
  • jsteamidjsteamid Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited February 13
    Seems to me like they're aiming at mobile VR now to attract more ppl getting in VR, I won't be surprised if they abandon ship on the PC version and will never have the next gen VR device for PC.

Look at how Vive is ahead with Vive tracker and the upcoming pro version, while Oculus has none. Steam with Vive is more suitable for supporting PC since their business is PC gaming from the beginning.
    pyroth309 said:
    Easiest thing to do about Home popping up is to Download oculus tray tool and when you aren't using the rift, stop the service. I used to get that random pop up as well but I haven't since I've been using dash with the beta/public test channel. 
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into that tray tool later. It's just funny how Oculus still relies on 3rd party tool with mutibillion company backing it up.

Since you mentioned DASH, I just realized that I got a problem regarding dash too (*sigh* the list goes on and on), I used dash the other day but then it was having a problem updating, seemed like it's caused by low space on my SSD, but I've fixed my problem by simply use junction, and turned off then turn on the beta again.

Now everytime I start Oculus software, it will have a notification saying that an Oculus update has started downloading, but it never finishes its download and goes on queue, it's been like that ever since. I read that ppl fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling everything, but damn I'll just live with it for now, because GUESS WHAT, it leads into another problem which is setting up Oculus.over again. I think I've been going through the full setup like 4 times already and there is no way to skip that First Encounter Demo.
    NerveGear
    edited February 13
    Is this forum moderated now or am i under a microscope ? Because I just saw a message saying my post will appear after it's approved. 

Now I don't even have the freedom of speech for putting out my complain ?  

my previous comment is gone....
    @zork2001 seems to me like they're abondoning ship on PC version and move on to mobile VR, I wont be surprised if there would be no next gen vr coming from Oculus. Look at how Vive is ahead with the vive tracker and pro version while oculus has nothing announced.

@pyroth309 ; thanks I'll look into that app later. It's just funny how Oculus relies on 3rd party for fixing that problem.
    I used Dash the other day but it had problem updating so I turned it off, seems like it's because my ssd was low on space but I've fixed it by using junction. Now it's stuck with a notif saying an oculus update has started downloading and been like that ever since everytime I run oculus software. Yet another problem from Oculus, the list goes on and on. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    edited February 14
    They don't rely on it, you can just stop the service in your services manually which is doing the same thing but it's more tedious than the tray tool. Secondly you shouldn't run an SSD on low space. As for all the other issues, no idea, never had a problem with my oculus. It always works.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,401 Volunteer Moderator
    jsteamid said:
    Is this forum moderated now or am i under a microscope ? Because I just saw a message saying my post will appear after it's approved. 

Now I don't even have the freedom of speech for putting out my complain ?  

my previous comment is gone....
    @zork2001 seems to me like they're abondoning ship on PC version and move on to mobile VR, I wont be surprised if there would be no next gen vr coming from Oculus. Look at how Vive is ahead with the vive tracker and pro version while oculus has nothing announced.

@pyroth309 ; thanks I'll look into that app later. It's just funny how Oculus relies on 3rd party for fixing that problem.
    I used Dash the other day but it had problem updating so I turned it off, seems like it's because my ssd was low on space but I've fixed it by using junction. Now it's stuck with a notif saying an oculus update has started downloading and been like that ever since everytime I run oculus software. Yet another problem from Oculus, the list goes on and on. 

Really sorry, I didn't spot you in the spam queue. I released the other message too and have made you verified so your messages won't get locked again. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 920
    3Jane
    jsteamid said:
    ...I think I've been going through the full setup like 4 times already and there is no way to skip that First Encounter Demo.
    It seems you didn't try to press ESC when it started...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• Vic_Vic_ Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    What's most annoying is that there's no simple backup/restore feature like Steam, restoring games also deletes the save file. All games are kept updated on Steam but Oculus versions are never updated unless they're Oculus exclusives. There's zero incentive to buy anything on Oculus instead of Steam.

Meanwhile they're putting so much effort into Go and other trivial ventures when they don't even have the BASICS finished yet. It makes no sense to me.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,401 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 13
    Vic_ said:
    What's most annoying is that there's no simple backup/restore feature like Steam, restoring games also deletes the save file. All games are kept updated on Steam but Oculus versions are never updated unless they're Oculus exclusives. There's zero incentive to buy anything on Oculus instead of Steam.

Meanwhile they're putting so much effort into Go and other trivial ventures when they don't even have the BASICS finished yet. It makes no sense to me.

To be fair Steam is 14 years old. Oculus is barely out of its diapers in comparison. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 11,369 Power Poster
    Vic_ said:
    All games are kept updated on Steam but Oculus versions are never updated unless they're Oculus exclusives.

That is completely false. Many non-exclusives are updated regular. The last non-exclusive in my Library to get an update is Subnautica. Before that it was The Exorcist.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Bradgt82Bradgt82 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I am having problems with the Oculus Rift app or program also.  I have always had a issue with windows 10 pro and the headset on my very new pc.  If I leave my headset plugged in I will randomly get the usb disconnect sound over and over.  Its totally random though and could be hours apart.  I also get a notice from the windows action center or virus scanner app or shield symbol thing that shows a green arrow, in my case it shows explanation point when the usb sound starts up and I will go to device manager and see the section marked and open that says "Generic super speed usb hub".  I can run windows troubleshooter which just basically says to reboot.  It doesnt fix it though and it to is random.  

Issue number two is that I sometimes boot up my pc and Oculus program auto starts with windows and it sucks because when oculus starts I get a screen flicker or two and sometimes my desktop gets reset and all my icons go to the left and I have to resort them.  The only fix for these issues is to unplug the entire headset from my pc but if I do this then I have restart my pc when I go to use Oculus.  If I plug rift in and dont restart then oculus will just flicker on my screen over and over constantly, all monitors.  I also dont see a image in the headset and if I do then there will be a big stutter every other second.  I have to plug Oculus rift in then restart my pc for all to work well.

I have reinstalled Oculus half a dozen times on my new pc thats just now  a year old.  I have done a clean install about the same amount.  I put oculus on my c drive and the games on my other SSD drive.  I have SLI and run 2 monitors sometimes 3.  I dont know if these are the reasons but I can say that when I only had 1 gpu and 1 monitor I never had these problems except the usb disconnect sound.  I have posted many times about this but nobody gives me much except the basic fixes.  A clean install of windows and redownload and install of Oculus doesnt fix this then I dont know what will.  Maybe its cause I have multiple drives and monitors and gpu's.  All drives updated and I run a tight ship and very clean pc.  I take it in for scans every year.

Recently I have been having sensor issues with 3 sensors.  2 on usb 3.0 and 1 on 2.0 and one of the sensors on 3.0 says faulty connection or degraded sensor or whatever.  Never had a problem before.  I run them all on my mother boards usb and have also tried to change them up on my fresco usb pcie add on card 3.0 with no success.

Yes I to have constant problems with Oculus Rift gear and software.  I regret ever buying but I do enjoy some games.  The headset is very uncomfortable for me and seems to block veins going to my forehead and top of head like falls asleep.  If I loosen straps then it sits on my nose and it hurts my nose from moving around.  Thinkin about buying VR pillow or something.
    NerveGear
    edited February 13
    @Bradgt82 my pc also often makes usb connection/disc sound, dunno if it's caused by Oculus Rift or other things.
    For the sensors I use Frescologic pcie, and put all 3 sensors on the FL usb 3.0 ports. Never have any problem with it so far, only one time the Oculus software complaining about driver not updated even tho I already updated it to the latest official Frescologic driver, but changing to Microsoft driver for Frescologic fixed this issue.

thx I'll keep that in mind, will do the next time I re-setup my rift
    no prob, thx.

• ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    jsteamid said:
    @Bradgt82 my pc also often makes usb connection/disc sound, dunno if it's caused by Oculus Rift or other things.

I too get the random USB connect/disconnect sound when using my Rift.  I am using 2 sensor on my onboard USB 3 ports.

I have no issues at all with the headset or trackings and everything is working fine, it is just the occasional noise for connect/disconnect  on USB that occurs.

Am thinking to just remove the audio from the event in control panel, but is that just "hiding" an issue that will bite me in future?
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."