Hey there, non-native english speaker here.
First, let's see if the problem is my specs?
- It's a Laptop
- i7 7700 HQ 2.8 GHz
- 32 GB RAM
- GTX1060 GPU
- headset pluged in usb 3.0 (but says 2.0) - using an usb 3.0 extension because the usb close to the HDMI is under an Asmedia controller with compatibility issues
- 1 sensor in usb 3.0
- 1 sensor in usb 2.0
- it was expensive (I'm in Brazil)
Secondly, what I've already tried:
- Set windows settings to performance over quality
- Disabled USB power saving in windows settings
- Went to Devices panel and turned off USB power saving option in every USB device possible
- Disabled windows defender while playing/working (I have no other anti-virus)
- I have no recording apps or anything with overlay issues that I've read about
- Disabled game overlay in GeForce Experience
- Set performance option in Nvidia Cotrol panel
So, what's happening?
I'm trying to work with archviz and chose Unity to do it. I was experiencing some stutter while testing what I was doing and I thought it was something related to mesh optimization, texture packing and other things. It kinda is but then I started looking elsewhere, like the Oculus app and the Robo Recall game.
The thing is, while trying the Oculus home screen I experience some kind of lag/stutter when I move my head around. It doesn't happen every time (I read someone say micro stutter). It doesn't make it unusable, but it's noticeable and annoying. It also happens in Robo Recall. The game plays well, but like I said, if you try to see the problem you notice it. If you play the game, in the middle of the action you might not see it.
I debugged my app and saw the FPS over 100 frequently. I profiled it and saw frame drops, but couldn't explain to myself what the profiler was saying (the Oculus profiler).
The hard truth I think is that I made a bad choice by choosing a laptop that is not a crazy awesome (and expensive) one.
Not willing to believe in the hard truth... what might be the problem here? I'm going crazy reading a lot in the foruns trying to fit my problem in, but everything I tried based in other people problems are not working.
Did I really messed up by choosing a laptop or is something else?