New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Medium Rodin Tribute Sculpting Contest -- Ends March 16th at 12pm PDT

naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 136 Oculus Staff
edited March 14 in Oculus Medium

Oculus Medium Rodin Tribute Sculpting Contest

Sculpt a tribute to Auguste Rodin utilizing Oculus Medium and enter to win a 3D print! You may use reference images or visit your nearest Rodin sculpture garden for inspiration. 

Rules: 

1. Submissions must be made in Medium only.
  2. Submit three (3) photos and/or a (1) 20-second video of your final sculpt.
  3. Submission screenshots and videos must be taken with Medium internal photo and video tools.
  4. One entry per participant.
  5. Must be 18 year or older, must be in located in United States, United Kingdom, Canada (excluding Quebec), France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland or Japan.   
  6. Please see official rules attached. 

Submission: 

1. Email submission of 3 photos and/or 1 20-second video to: [email protected]
  2. Due before 12:00 p.m. PT on March 16, 2018

Judging Criteria: 

60 points: Design creativity and uniqueness

30 points: Interpretation and clarity of theme to the judges/viewers

10 points: Presentation (choice of pictures or video will not be counted against submission) 

Judges: Members of the Medium team. 

Good luck! 

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,566 Valuable Player
    Yay, at last a competition us brexit-tards can enter! And here's me, fresh off the back of 3 weeks sculpting a life model in (you guessed it) a Rodin pose!

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 5,837 Volunteer Moderator
    YES I AM ON IT! When does it end?!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 768
    3Jane
    Cool. Is the prize a 3D print of The Thinker?
    YES I AM ON IT! When does it end?!

Submission: 

1. Email submission of 3 photos and/or 1 20-second video to: [email protected]
    2. Due before 12:00 p.m. PT on March 16, 2018

Judging Criteria: 

60 points: Design creativity and uniqueness

30 points: Interpretation and clarity of theme to the judges/viewers

10 points: Presentation (choice of pictures or video will not be counted against submission) 

Judges: Members of the Medium team. 

Good luck! 

@LZoltowski DQ'd on failure to reading comprehension grounds  :D  

@P3nT4gR4m lol I think I got too excited. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 136 Oculus Staff
    DeadlyJoe said:
    Cool. Is the prize a 3D print of The Thinker?
    The prize will depend on the winner. If the winner's piece is 3D printable, then we'll print it. If not, we'll print another very cool sculpt and send it. Making your submission 3D printable has no effect on judging. Good luck! 
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    Rodin does not look easy... 
  • jatobexxjatobexx Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Awesome challenge! I've just got my hands on Oculus Medium yesterday and it feels incredible. Totally different from Zbrush, I hope to get used to it!! Let the game begin!
    jatobexx said:
    Awesome challenge! I've just got my hands on Oculus Medium yesterday and it feels incredible. Totally different from Zbrush, I hope to get used to it!! Let the game begin!
    It's super easy to pick up! It's my 3rd week with it now. You can see my progression here .. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61683/lzoltowski-sketchbook

Just popping into to say thanks for introducing me to Rodin. I'd overlooked him in the past on account of I'm obsessed with realism and the "lumpiness" kinda put me off. Having stared at his work up close for a few hours now, working on an entry for this comp, I get where he was coming from. A masterclass in anatomy even if it doesn't look totally realistic. I'm a convert! 
    edited February 20
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Just popping into to say thanks for introducing me to Rodin. I'd overlooked him in the past on account of I'm obsessed with realism and the "lumpiness" kinda put me off. Having stared at his work up close for a few hours now, working on an entry for this comp, I get where he was coming from. A masterclass in anatomy even if it doesn't look totally realistic. I'm a convert! 

The "gates of hell" is one of my favourite pieces, its sublime, I have seen it up close. http://www.rodinmuseum.org/collections/collectiontheme/4.html

@LZoltowski Whoa!!! Good luck getting that sculpted by the 16th  :o

• wavyeyewavyeye Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Oh I'm going to give this one a go. Rodin is ace.
    edited February 23
    oops I think I disqualified myself, lol, not supposed to post these  (wish this was mentioned in the post and not in the fine print) .... oh well .. it was fun to make anywhoo :)

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    ops I'm so late to this, but guess it's time to tackle my fears straight on! (I suck at autonomy and makes me depressed whenever I try it :D )
    @FrozenPea  You suck at autonomy?Like you're paralysed?  :o
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    @FrozenPea  You suck at autonomy?Like you're paralysed?  :o
    hahahaha ops typo  :D
  • naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 136 Oculus Staff
    Exactly 1 WEEK left to submit your Rodin Tribute for our sculpting contest!! Due March 16th at 12pm PST. See rules above on how to submit. 

Check out this sculpt by Javier Villaba as a 3D Post for some inspiration. 

• bobduffy5bobduffy5 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Finally got to this today.   Tried to work fast, took about 90 minutes.  Fun challenge.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t92lu3vn271175x/bobduffy-rodinsculpt.mp4?dl=0

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 458
    Trinity
    Solid 90 minutes there.  Good muscle mapping.
    to get into the 'style' of this it really takes a conscious effort not to smooth, it's become so natural to me to 'sculpt - smooth - sculpt - smooth' had to retroactively add back some blocking  :D 

I'm gonna try a second more challenging sculpt this week and hopefully finish in time!
    3Jane
    edited March 13
    These contest dates come up too fast. I only have tonight to get mine done, but I think I could spend another week or two on it. I'll submit what I've got, though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other entries.

Trinity
    DeadlyJoe said:
    These contest dates come up too fast. I only have tonight to get mine done, but I think I could spend another week or two on it. I'll submit what I've got, though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other entries.

Ya, down to the wire.  Got wrapped up in other projects, and this is one that could easily take several days to do. Got the project started, but a long ways to where it needs to be.  Will spend today on it, and see if it's something I'd even consider entering.  Very curious what other people are doing, it's been quiet in here, so I'm guessing there's at least a couple people that went all out.
    3Jane
    And that is that, as they say. I have submitted my work. I don't think it's very Rodin-like in style, but at least it is obstinately French. :wink:

Trinity
    Pretty happy with my current sculpt, now just have to figure out the right turntable speed to do a 20 second video
  • wavyeyewavyeye Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Pretty happy with my current sculpt, now just have to figure out the right turntable speed to do a 20 second video
    How do you slow the turn table down? I was just using the lathe, but don't see any options.
    @wavyeye In the scene settings, select the turntable then hit the gear button for speed and clock/anticlockwise
    Trinity
    wavyeye said:
    How do you slow the turn table down? I was just using the lathe, but don't see any options.
    To be more specific, depending on how familiar you are with medium.  Click the globe icon, which puts you into scene mode.  Point at the disc on the floor, it will highlight.  Select it and hit the gear icon.   The turntable tends to scale towards really fast, very quickly.  I usually go for a speed between 4-8, when video taping (actual speed varies with ram and sculpt size).  If you want to explore it's uses as a lathe, you'll probably want a really slow setting as well.

You can also adjust the lighting from inside scene mode, changing brightness, color and so forth.  Same process, click on the light and hit the gear icon.
    3Jane
    edited March 15
    The only problem I have with capturing video from Medium is that the frame rates are wonky. The video I took of my Rodin sculpt came out to be 27.78 FPS according to the file info. I can never get it to smooth out in Adobe Premiere. My video and GIFs are always jerky. Anyone know how to fix that?