New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,225 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    Fast Start disabled didn't work for me.  :( 

Disabling the Oculus Library and Runtime in Task Manager managed to avoid having to reboot and worked for me. I am still using latest Nvidia drivers.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 9700K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,540 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Fast Start disabled didn't work for me.  :( 

What exact issue is that you are having?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Headset turns on as normal on first use. Headset works as normal. When you remove headset and make a cup of tea and come back, put the headset on you are then left with a blank screen even though the headset detects you have put it on (white light). Hehe this is the first time I am typing this in VR using the Desktop mode. Good job I can touch type.

edited February 2018
    Headset turns on as normal on first use. Headset works as normal. When you remove headset and make a cup of tea and come back, put the headset on you are then left with a blank screen even though the headset detects you have put it on (white light). Hehe this is the first time I am typing this in VR using the Desktop mode. Good job I can touch type.

Have you tried disabling the Guardian System? People are having issues with that on.

Now try setting up Nuance Dragon Dictate for full voice typing :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

No need,all working good so far. Maybe the update fixed this issue?

• dburnedburne Posts: 1,696 Valuable Player
    I use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service for a few moments, then start up again. Always seems to clear the headset when it does that to me. Not a restart of the service, that does not always work, but a stop for a moment and then start again. Saves me having to reboot the PC anyway.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 213
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2018
     When you did that, did you Shut the PC down, waited a few secs and turned it back on?, not just a restart?

Hi there,

Do you have any idea as to how that fix does actually take effect?

As you explained correctly, enabling fast startup causes the PC to not fully shut down but entering some kind of hibernation (for the system core) upon shutdown. Disabling the feature causes it to really shut down instead. Thats it.

1. It is documented that "restart" is not affected by this feature, thus "Restart" will always perform a full boot and startup sequence. That means your advice above would be obsolete since a "restart" would accomplish exactly the same thing as a full shutdown with regards to the "Fast startup" feature.
    2. *If* people would power-up their PC just to face problems with the Rift requiring an additional reboot, *then* this would indicate some conflict with the "fast startup" feature: Remainings of the previous system state would be (incorrectly) restored upon (fast) startup, whereas a "restart"  always performs a full system initialization. *But* as I understand it, this is not the case at all: Instead people startup their PC and the Rift works just fine. Only after a break between sessions they face problems requiring a restart to make it work again. At this point it would be worth testing if instead of a restart, a shutdown / power-up sequence would also help. That would be a strong indication against any relation to the "fast startup" feature.

I mean - reboot is unaffected by this feature. It always does a full reboot. It is only the shutdown function that with this feature enabled does not simply shutdown but saves the system core state to be reloaded upon next startup. But if the Rift generally works fine directly after start up, how do you think can this feature be related to the problem?

I am not saying it doesn't work, apparently some people seem to have success doing this trick. Just trying to understand the possible relation of this feature to the described problems...

Greets

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,089
    Wintermute
    Just adding my voice after 2 days of testing : I always restart/reboot  my computer before a VR session, so no problem starting it, but I had this black screen problem in headset with the current 388.59 NVidia drivers I'm using, when I removed my headset during a long game session to make a pause, and tried to resume my game.
    I disabled the fast startup and didn't have this problem during the last 2 days. That's seems to do the trick for me. Possibly not relevant but for the record, I'm using classic home so no Beta no core 2.0.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

@Hornet_F4C From what I have seen online, and I found this method on some obscure Dell forum with regards to someones monitor after Windows Fall Update, nothing to do with the rift, but the symptoms were the same. Certain types of screens would suddenly go to sleep and not turn on again.

It would appear when Fast Start is enabled some sort of additional windows power management subsystem is enabled also.

The rift goes into a soft standby after a while, and with  Fast Startup enabled, it would seem It cannot wake up again. This was the issue I was having, which is now fixed, and several others have reported the same thing.

Sadly the issue came back for me. So is this an issue with the 2.0 beta exclusively or are people having the same problems with the standard home dash?

Sadly the issue came back for me. So is this an issue with the 2.0 beta exclusively or are people having the same problems with the standard home dash?
    Is your guardian on?

No, I have not set up guardian at all.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,574 Valuable Player
    Has anyone even tried what I said? It could be the issue. 
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 213
    Nexus 6

It would appear when Fast Start is enabled some sort of additional windows power management subsystem is enabled also.

Fair assumption. Glad it helped some people.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    remove headset and make a cup of tea
    That's ypur problem.
    You should drink coffee
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Fair assumption. Glad it helped some people.
    That being said, I am looking forward to the next windows update, in the fast ring there is a new option called ULTIMATE performance ... it disables all power management subsystems, any performance limiting subsystems systems .. this will improve USB latency, timing etc ..but run your equipment at 100% power consumption, can't wait for it to go to the public build.  

• JonJonXDJonJonXD Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you for this post.

I just got my Rift today, and I thought it was broken.

Disabling this fixed my issue!
    PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

JonJonXD said:
    Thank you for this post.

I just got my Rift today, and I thought it was broken.

Disabling this fixed my issue!
    My pleasure :) Took a while digging in obscure Microsoft forums lol :)

• Mito.ZoMito.Zo Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Fast Start not only causes problem in HMD, for SSD users it does cause some hiccup from sleep. My laptop screen would not wake up at all and I have to sleep it and wake it again.
    Active: ASUS Zephyrus GX501: i7-7700HQ, GTX 1080 Max-Q (8GB), 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 15.6" 120Hz IPS G-SYNC, full Steelseries peripherals, Oculus Rift, Oculus Touch & 3x Oculus Sensors
    Sold: ASUS Sabertooth X79: i7-3930K @ 4.9Ghz (6C/12 Threads), 32GB DDR3, 10,000 GB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti FE, ASUS PG278Q 27" 1440p G-SYNC 144Hz, full Logitech peripherals.
    Gaveaway: 1x GTX TITAN (Vanilla), 2x GTX 680, 2x AMD HD6970, 1x GeForce2 GTS

• jroc2680vrjroc2680vr Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this but this is what I am experiencing -

-Sound issues (game plays but no sound).  Have to reboot to fix.  Not often but it has happened.
    -Play for a min to maybe 10 when the display in the head set locks up.  I continue to more forward in the game as if I am holding the joystick but can't look around in headset or use any controls.   I can see what is happening but it gets weird and nauseating.  Screen eventually just goes black.  
    -Headset as well as multiple sensors disconnect and then reconnect once the headset gets weird.
    -Randomly will get warning in oculus that a sensor is having frame rate issues.  Unplug and plug back in and all good. 
    -Sometimes when starting games like Robo Recall or Tales of Glory, when standing still and not physically moving or using any controls, my character will slowly drift to the left.  Always to the left and then always followed by the headset crashing. 

This has all just started within the last few days and I can't figure out what changed.  I don't recall doing any updates.  I did move the computer as the room was redone.  The sensors are in different places.  However,  I was able to play for a few days without any issues.  

This is what I have tried  in the sequence I tired them:

Disabled guardian system in oculus 

Disabled public test channel 

Disabled rift core 2.0

Disabled fast start option in power settings per oculus post

Disabled occulus tray tool 

Headset still disconnected. Right sensor failed.  

Eliminated any extension cable from sensor other than what was originally hooked up 

Put wireless adapter back in original USB port 

Roll back video driver from 390.77 to 390.65

After a few minutes in tales of glory the head set cuts out as well as multiple sensors.  They all come back automatically.  Drift issue when standing still.  

Played robo call for 10 minutes with no disconnects but drift issue in game 

Played karnage for at least 20 minutes and running for almost an hour.  No issues.   No drift. 

Plugged in power cable for usb 3 ext card.  

Plugged in left sensor to usb powered card

Used ext cable for rear sensor 

Played tails of glory.  Drift present again.  Within minutes head set, sensors and mic card cut out 

Reinstalled Occulus 

Uninstalled all nvida options and deleted device in device manager.  Reinstalled Nvida driver version 388.59.  

Went through device a manager and disabled all power management options for USB ports and the same in control panel 

Issues still persist.   Feeling the pain of hours spent trouble shooting and minutes played ): 

Help!

Windows 10 latest vs and updates.  Guardian turned off.  Classic Oculus 

Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit
    Not sure if this is the correct place for this but this is what I am experiencing -

-Sound issues (game plays but no sound).  Have to reboot to fix.  Not often but it has happened.
    -Play for a min to maybe 10 when the display in the head set locks up.  I continue to more forward in the game as if I am holding the joystick but can't look around in headset or use any controls.   I can see what is happening but it gets weird and nauseating.  Screen eventually just goes black.  
    -Headset as well as multiple sensors disconnect and then reconnect once the headset gets weird.
    -Randomly will get warning in oculus that a sensor is having frame rate issues.  Unplug and plug back in and all good. 
    -Sometimes when starting games like Robo Recall or Tales of Glory, when standing still and not physically moving or using any controls, my character will slowly drift to the left.  Always to the left and then always followed by the headset crashing. 

This has all just started within the last few days and I can't figure out what changed.  I don't recall doing any updates.  I did move the computer as the room was redone.  The sensors are in different places.  However,  I was able to play for a few days without any issues.  

Disabled rift core 2.0

Eliminated any extension cable from sensor other than what was originally hooked up 

After a few minutes in tales of glory the head set cuts out as well as multiple sensors.  They all come back automatically.  Drift issue when standing still.  

Played karnage for at least 20 minutes and running for almost an hour.  No issues.   No drift. 

Played tails of glory.  Drift present again.  Within minutes head set, sensors and mic card cut out 

Reinstalled Occulus 

Uninstalled all nvida options and deleted device in device manager.  Reinstalled vs 388.59.  Went through device a manager and disabled all power management options for USB ports and the same in control panel 

Issues still persist.   Feeling the pain of hours spent trouble shooting and minutes played ): 

Help!

Windows 10 latest vs and updates.  Guardian turned off.  

Sounds like USB power management, have you tried disabling USB power management in Power Plan Options as well as disabling power management for every USB controller in Device Manager?

@jroc2680vr

also, disable power management for the sensors themselves

NerveGear

Disabled rift core 2.0

Reinstalled Occulus 

Uninstalled all nvida options and deleted device in device manager.  Reinstalled vs 388.59.  Went through device a manager and disabled all power management options for USB ports and the same in control panel 

Help!

Windows 10 latest vs and updates.  Guardian turned off.  

Sounds like USB power management, have you tried disabling USB power management in Power Plan Options as well as disabling power management for every USB controller in Device Manager?

Yes, I went through everyone of them in one of my last steps today ):  Thanks for the reply though.  
    Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    @jroc2680vr

Thanks.  Just double checked all of them.  Every sensor, every usb listing and options in control panel power management.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.   Also, I have a wireless network adapter on one of the USB ports.  Always have based on the location and setup.  This also cuts power when the sensors go out and then clicks back online.  Not sure where to start at this point.  The company that I purchased the PC from got a remote connection and said the computer was fine but couldn't help troubleshoot the Oculus.   
    @jroc2680vr

Thanks.  Just double checked all of them.  Every sensor, every usb listing and options in control panel power management.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.   Also, I have a wireless network adapter on one of the USB ports.  Always have based on the location and setup.  This also cuts power when the sensors go out and then clicks back online.  Not sure where to start at this point.  The company that I purchased the PC from got a remote connection and said the computer was fine but couldn't help troubleshoot the Oculus.   
    Looks like there is some sort of a power interruption and USB resets or shuts down :/

Can you post your logs here from log gather and also list full specs, including everything you have connected to your PC, motherboard manufacturer etc ?

NerveGear
    @jroc2680vr

Looks like there is some sort of a power interruption and USB resets or shuts down :/

Can you post your logs here from log gather and also list full specs, including everything you have connected to your PC, motherboard manufacturer etc ?
    Hey.  Info below.  Log link from dropbox.  Let me know if you have an issue getting.  Also, should I move this to "For Users w/black screen on rift, post logs here"?  I thought that was where I had posted but I guess not.  If ok here then I will just leave.   Also, not 100% how to tell type of MB so I attached pics.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2tmyl2vqqb4uqd/Oculus_Logs_VR_20180304_104844.zip?dl=0

Specs - 

CybertronPC - Palladium Liquid Cooled Desktop - Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD

Front USB 3 port - Netgear wireless adapter - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1200-wireless-ac-high-gain-wi-fi-usb-3-0-adapter-black/8860004.p?skuId=8860004

Front USB 3 port - Oculus rear sensor 

Rear top USB 3 port - right sensor connected with USB 3 ext cable 

Rear USB C port - headset USB

USB 3 expansion card - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-interface-card-silver/5621006.p?skuId=5621006#/?eventDate=&eventDescription=Saved%20Items&giftlistId=69754a33-8868-11e7-bf30-005056ae57be&giftlistItemId=6993f5d2-8868-11e7-bf30-005056ae57be&giftlistType=primary-shopping-list&listOwnerFirstName=&listOwnerLastName=& - left sensor 

1080 GTX - left HDMI - Oculus headset, right HDMI - HDMI to TV

USB 3 expansion card (same as above from Insignia) USB with connection to wireless keyboard, USB with connection to wireless gaming controller 

Sound card - Asus Xonar DGX - not used

@jroc2680vr ; could you do a quick experiment?
    Remove that Insignia card out of the computer (the top one), and connect both sensors to your available USB slots on the mobo?

Also, I can see the Insignia cards use Fresco Logic FL1100EX, are you using Fresco Drivers (from the manufacturers' website)  or Microsoft ones?

One last question, what PSU do you have? Wattage wise?

NerveGear
    @jroc2680vr ; could you do a quick experiment?
    Remove that Insignia card out of the computer (the top one), and connect both sensors to your available USB slots on the mobo?

Also, I can see the Insignia cards use Fresco Logic FL1100EX, are you using Fresco Drivers (from the manufacturers' website)  or Microsoft ones?

One last question, what PSU do you have? Wattage wise?
    Hey.  Cards installed with default on CD which I can't find.  Don't know what Fresco Drivers are so I am guessing no on that one.  I removed 1 of the insignia cards but still have a second one attached below the video card with the wireless adapter for the mouse/keyboard and the wireless gaming controller.  Is that ok?  Also, when you say to connect both sensors to the MB, do you mean the one on the front as well?  PSU info attached.  Thanks!
    I mean, have both sensors + HMD USB all on the motherboard + rear sensor on the front USB... just basically eliminating any connections to the USB extender cards.

NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    I mean, have both sensors + HMD USB all on the motherboard + rear sensor on the front USB... just basically eliminating any connections to the USB extender cards.
    Same thing ):  Played Tales of Glory through Steam for about 5 minutes. My character would physically drift to the left once I got in.   Screen locked but as in I couldn't move my head and my character drifted forward on map.  Black screen and then heard the familiar noises of devices disconnecting and reconnecting.  Headset, 1 sensor and the wifi card...out and then right back in.  

The tech support for the computer I purchased is great.  I am planning on calling them in awhile to remote in take a peek. I am not sure what they can do but I am lost at this point.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated or things I should ask them.  Thanks for your help.     

Is this similar to what other people are experiencing right now?