cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why in 2018 are there still problems with Online Gaming?

ZeroSwordX
Explorer
90% of network code for connecting people to play video games together is literally the same code done over and over again. Shouldn't Oculus be putting money into having some kind of network framework for matchmaking, ranking, ladders, VOIP, friends-list, etc. Instead of having developers re-create the matchmaking systems for each individual game. Oculus needs to spend research money into a universal multiplayer platform that can be re-skinned and customized for each game.
14 REPLIES 14

grebbs
Explorer
I agree. Some times on my friends list there's an option to party up. Most of the time the option is not even there. Really? Where it go? This is basic stuff. It's laughable that there is even a problem. 
I can't recommend this system to my friends anymore. I tell them how great the games are and oh by the way we can't play together or communicate with each other lol 

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer
I also wonder why they can't get online gaming right.

I have bought loads of racing games over the years. Examples are

MX vs ATV (2009)

MX vs ATV Supercross (2014)

Forza Motorsport 7 (2017)

I buy a lot of racing games for the online play. It bugs me when it doesn't work. I think developers should have to tell you the online part of the game is not working. I know for a fact lots of different games are being sold knowing the online play doesn't work.  It's conning people. 

ZeroSwordX
Explorer
Why not have centralized servers for Oculus that devs/players can use for games. There are games I wouldn't mind playing but there's no one available to play with. If someone is queued for a lobby in one game Why can't I see that while in Oculus Home or in another game? Facebook is the #1 social network. Bringing people together and connecting people should be this platforms biggest strength.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you look at the developer documentation for the platform, you'll see we have much of what you are asking for already. Including matchmaking, VOIP, P2P networking, friends-list, leaderboard, etc.
https://developer.oculus.com/platform/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess offline gaming is easier to develop, while online is tougher because there are always some server problems that appear and can't be controlled...

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Good network code is not easy and what methods work well for one game may not work at all for another.

Anonymous
Not applicable
They will figure it out soon enough! Technology is progressing so fast that there won't be any obstacles in handling the problem, just give them some time! 

cybereality
Grand Champion

They will figure it out soon enough! Technology is progressing so fast that there won't be any obstacles in handling the problem, just give them some time! 

Read my post above. We already have all this stuff in the SDK.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Chief
Honored Guest
It's virtual reality, not just some console they pulled out their ass. There are bound to be countless errors and our job as consumers is to assist in the bettering of the oculus by providing feedback. This isn't something of another universe the same things were done when new consoles would get released. Not arguing at all I'm just saying we should give 'em a break and not be so hostile.