cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It’s settled: Rift Core slows down games

cybernettr
Superstar
I had juddering in Robo Recall after updating to the new Core Beta (especially in the Odin boss battles), and VR Sports Challenge became unplayable. I even saw a definite slowdown in NVIDIA VR Funhouse, but when I went back to the old Oculus home, these problems disappeared (I still have to test VR Funhouse, but I’m fairly confident it will be fine). I know everybody’s system is different, but if you are experiencing a slowdown in some games after joining the beta, you may want to try going back to the old Home. 
11 REPLIES 11

Techy111
MVP
MVP
This happened to me and out of frustration I reinstalled my whole system and all 4 drives. With anxiety I reloaded everything and zero judders. Happy bunny after this but it only worked for me so I ain't saying try 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I have been fortunate, have not noticed any slowdown or stuttering running the beta so far. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
No problems here.

Well, yesterday I loaded up "Killing Floor" for the first time ever. I noticed that it took forever for the game to load, and it took forever for it close. But I never owned it prior to Rift Core, so I have no idea how it performed before now. Plus, I have had some games take forever to load/close long before the Rift Core update.

Aside from that, the performance of every game I've played all month (up to last night) has been as close to flawless as can get: In Death, Killing Floor, OrbusVR, From Other Suns, Sprint Vector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just bought Spirit Vector. I wish Oculus would stop doing these bloody daily deals lol 😮 😄

MowTin
Expert Trustee
You can't make a statement like that without stating your hardware spec. If your system is already overburdened then yes, Core will cause some noticeable slowdown. I'm guessing the CPU and memory are the variables here. 

What are your specs?
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I noticed I had to drop the pixel density down two levels in Robo Recall to avoid choppiness when making the switch a month or two ago. It was the only Oculus Home game I still played when I made the switch, though I've since added another game. Regardless, it definitely seems to have an effect, though modest. This is with an i7-8700k (overclocked to 4.7GHz all cores all the time), 16GB DDR4 at 3200MHz and a GTX 1080 TI. Not exactly a low end system.

Digikid1
Consultant
Oh it is settled now is it?  No it isn’t. 

Sorry but the views of ONE person doesn’t make it settled. I’ve had no issues like yours at all.   So until we hear directly from Oculus  saying that you’re correct I would not make incorrect claims such as “it’s settled”

Next time post your complete computer specs and driver versions please. 

brownsea2989
Protege
I have this problem with some games (Eleven is one). I have a factory overclocked 980ti, I5 6600K (running at 4Ghz) and 16Gb memory. It doesn't happen immediately but, in the case of 11, after a few games. Reverting back to the old Home always resolves the issue. I haven't worried about too much yet as, of course, Core 2.0 is still in Beta.

Glaidr
Protege

I had juddering in Robo Recall after updating to the new Core Beta (especially in the Odin boss battles), and VR Sports Challenge became unplayable. I even saw a definite slowdown in NVIDIA VR Funhouse, but when I went back to the old Oculus home, these problems disappeared (I still have to test VR Funhouse, but I’m fairly confident it will be fine). I know everybody’s system is different, but if you are experiencing a slowdown in some games after joining the beta, you may want to try going back to the old Home. 

What Drivers are you running? Whats your PC specs? 2 or 3+ camera setup? Are you running any mods like the tray tool?

The only thing your post proves, is there were changes. But for example, if you were only running a 1050ti, and then opted into the beta, when it isnt optimised yet, your system may not be able to handle it. 

Your post is actually fine as it is not overly assumptive or stating any opinions as pure fact, but to avoid flak in the future, i would try to go for slightly less aggressive/ opinionated titles for your conversations