New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

Comments

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I've had this issue for over a month. only thing that helps for me is driver roll back. I've had a rift since the beginning & hardware issues it seems are par for the course.  
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Thank you so much, Manuel, for sharing this update with the community.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Neo
    Ah this is the best of news. 
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    pidge916 said:
    Hello Oculus users,
    My name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  First I'd like to thank some of the users who reached out to me and helped us along the way.  We believe we have fixed the cause of this issue.  The fix will be in our next GeForce Game Ready driver rolling out to users later this month.  Stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman 

I appreciate this. But no response from support all day other than they are still looking into it.
    Looking at a $400 brick on my desk is hard to take and no fix for an unknown time.
    Worse was my setup worked great 2 days ago, yesterday I did a firmware update and now I cant use my device.
    No way to roll it back to the last firmware.
    I'm pretty let down with this. I would just ask for a refund if I thought they would do it.
    Let down is an understatement.

HTC VIVE Virtual Reality System with Fallout 4 VR Digital Code
    $599.00
    Starting to look attractive 
  • ryan_robotryan_robot Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Glad to hear this has been potentially resolved! On my system, this issue is resolved by switching "Power Management Mode" in the NVCP to "Prefer Maximum Performance" and restarting. 
  • Yeti_39Yeti_39 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    LJKIV said:

Tomorrow will be almost two weeks of the black screen with orange light.  I've posted on both Oculus and NVidia (I'm running a GTX 1080) and it seems like dozens and dozens of others have posted similar complaints..  dozens more posted in Reddit.  I'm convinced this must be a software issue.  I have been in contact with oculus support, but so far, no progress.  and nothing new to try.in addition to what has been posted in the forums

yep... I have a hell of rig and I originally thought it was a cable or the hmd or the sensor, and $50 later (crazy price for a replacement cable which I didn't need apparently), everything do points to not being a hardware issue.  I feel like we are not being told something.
  • rolfwesemannrolfwesemann Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    @ryan-robot: Thanks, I did it and now had no black screen!
    So, this means it is a powermanagementproblem from Nvidia!
  • colorline4colorline4 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Big tks Manuel from NVIDIA for your fix ! It's cool to to see NVIDIA and Oculus working together for we the oculus users. :)
  • MerlinCMerlinC Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    pidge916 said:
    Hello Oculus users,
    My name is Manuel and I am part of the NVIDIA Customer Care team.  First I'd like to thank some of the users who reached out to me and helped us along the way.  We believe we have fixed the cause of this issue.  The fix will be in our next GeForce Game Ready driver rolling out to users later this month.  Stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman 

Great - but could you do us a favor and let us know the driver version we are supposed to use. New driver at the end of the month is somehow fuzzy.
  • Kinematic9Kinematic9 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    MerlinC said:
    pidge916 said:
    Hello Oculus users,

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman 

Great - but could you do us a favor and let us know the driver version we are supposed to use. New driver at the end of the month is somehow fuzzy.
    "The fix will be in our next GeForce Game Ready driver"
  • Duncan_DisorderlyDuncan_Disorderly Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I appreciate this. But no response from support all day other than they are still looking into it.
    Looking at a $400 brick on my desk is hard to take and no fix for an unknown time.
    Worse was my setup worked great 2 days ago, yesterday I did a firmware update and now I cant use my device.
    I'm pretty let down with this. I would just ask for a refund if I thought they would do it.

$599.00
    One day, you'll look back at this as a bit of teething pain. Sure, it's a pain at the time, but you soon get over it. If it's any consolation, I've had a Rift for about a year and a half now. This is the first time there's been a major issue with NVidia that I've known of, as I've always been able to play with my Rift with no problems. I hear you, it sucks. It sucks for everyone with this problem. Most importantly, for myself at least, it sucks for me. 

I'd hug you to show my support, but you can't hug on the internet. Silly. Mind you, if you were here, in person, I can assure you, I wouldn't hug you. To be honest, I only said I would, because I know I can't. So, that's something. It sure is something. =P
    Neo
    pidge916 said:
    Hello Oculus users,

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman 

$599.00
    doesn't sound like the same issue to me so i doubt this driver will fix your device. 
    just to put things into perspective i had to replace my unit twice & was without an oculus for over a month, it also cost me full price not a $400 bargain you paid i really don't think a few days is worth getting stressed over.  
  • MerlinCMerlinC Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    nrosko said:
    pidge916 said:
    Hello Oculus users,

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman 

$599.00
    doesn't sound like the same issue to me so i doubt this driver will fix your device. 
    just to put things into perspective i had to replace my unit twice & was without an oculus for over a month, it also cost me full price not a $400 bargain you paid i really don't think a few days is worth getting stressed over.  
    That seems to be exactly the way oculus support is thinking - and I disagree. 

If if Oculus is having a severe quality issue - which seems to be the case reading all those black screen posts and have had my own exchanged at the beginning of the year - they should at least ensure that the RMA is going fast. Otherwise they will loose customers to HTC and PiMax. 
  • JQuinn74JQuinn74 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I don’t want a hug. I want my black screen to go away. God damn this is a disaster 
  • Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    nrosko said:
    pidge916 said:
    Hello Oculus users,

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman 

$599.00
    I agree but that said it is odd that it happened the exact same time I did the firmware upgrade. Nothing else changed. I wish I would have not did the update now and saw if it worked first. No way to roll it back to the old one.
    Now if it is hardware that's fine communicate and lets move forward, if it wasn't for me playing the device the night before the update I would have thought hardware. Just odd timing. 
    I don't need a hug, I just need a response back from support and a clear path to a resolution.
    Having a broken device after less than 4 months out of the box? No hug required just fix it :smile:

• lolpotalolpota Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    latest Nvidia drivers get black screen and yellow LED. Reboot doesnt help. 
    Brain Burst
    I even rolled back to the Nvidia 388 and still have a black screen. I even tried the patch again and reinstalled windows and the rift software. I only hear audio. Mirrored it to my laptop screen. It sucks being on the outside looking in. This’s torture. Did the ticket thing like I’m waiting for cold cuts. The guy helping me was cool. Emailed my log reports and sent some pics. 
  • V12-StevenXV12-StevenX Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Today Nvidia released new driver..391.24 WHQL.

For the fixed issues in this release for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift CV1:
    The VR headset stops working after several launches of the
    application or after resume from system Hibernate mode. 
  • pidge916pidge916 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    We released a new GeForce Game Ready Driver 391.24 which includes a fix for this issue.  

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/sea-of-thieves-game-ready-driver

We released the fix as a BETA driver to a few end users who were experiencing the same issue and they all reported that they are no longer seeing the problem so we are confident this fix fully addresses the issue.  Thank you all for your patience.

Regards,
    Manuel Guzman  
    NVIDIA Customer Care
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    didn't work for me my logs keep showing the OVRServiceLauncher error. I"ve attached my logs so someone can get an idea to what is wrong and what I need to do on my end. This latest NVidia driver update did not resolve the issue.
  • douggyvegasdouggyvegas Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    hi everybody.my english is not good,but do I have to understand that the fix for black screen is not included in the last nvidia driver?and we have to wait for an official release? thanks 
    Neo
    hi everybody.my english is not good,but do I have to understand that the fix for black screen is not included in the last nvidia driver?and we have to wait for an official release? thanks 
    should work. give it a go. probably a good idea to restart pc, make a cuppa T & prey. 
    NerveGear
    nrosko said:
    should work. give it a go. probably a good idea to restart pc, make a cuppa T & prey. 
    no it doesn t work for me:(( sometimes I play 10 mn or more but ,at a moment black screen appears and just the sound....I tried a lot solutions but nothing works...I m gonna prey then...

Brain Burst
    fuck praying I need this fixed
    NerveGear
    JQuinn74 said:
    fuck praying I need this fixed
    doesn t work for you too?
    Brain Burst
    even when I restarted after installing the new Nvidia driver it didn't work. Once again I left my logs. I'm willing to give someone access to my computer. Unfortunately oculus doesn't do that.
  • ArcturusMaxArcturusMax Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Setup for the first time - I can see the VR images on the PC window but the Rift is black.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Have you tried with the latest Nvidia driver and (if that doesn't work) driver 388.59?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    I’ve tried the Nvidia 388.59 and I have the same black screen results. My headset was working fine before all this happened. I left my log info in my previous messages you’ll see the errors that are popping up under OVRServiceLauncher. This new driver doesn’t work at all. Something through my headset off and its not showing up as a display in my display settings. My laptop is a MSi G63 VR stealth pro