New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

Comments

• JQuinn74JQuinn74 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Have you tried with the latest Nvidia driver and (if that doesn't work) driver 388.59?
    I’ve already done the ticket. I spoke with Buck he was cool and helpful. I sent my logs to him and he forwarded my information. Someone else emailed me at 3am this morning I replied and haven’t gotten a response from that person.
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Have you tried with the latest Nvidia driver and (if that doesn't work) driver 388.59?
    I got an email from elspeth a few minutes ago and we’re continuing the troubleshooting 
  • Srilankan1Srilankan1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hi, here are my logs. its getting black screens constantly now. 
  • douggyvegasdouggyvegas Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I don;t know if that can help,but when I have a black screen during playing,I change usb rift in another usb and usually no need to restart the pc ,til the next black screen...I have too a amplified usb hub...
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    Still getting black screens after 5 to 10 mins of play. 388 drivers or latest 391.24. I see Manuel Guzman from nvidia says all fixed now. Really??? Read these posts and those on Reddit please. You too cyber Reality.
  • lordhelmoslordhelmos Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Getting black screens as well on two separate Rifts.  I returned my old one to best buy but have the same problems on a new Rift.  This is definitely driver related.

I am running a a GTX 1080Ti with the 391.24 drivers.  The issue occurs after about 20 minutes worth of play or if the rift is left idle for too long.

This is on Win10 professional 64bit.

I am using Rift Core (no beta) and ran through the following options:

1.) Disabled legacy USB 2.0 support in my BIOS (heard this causes issues).
    2.) Ensured that all RIFT components (2 sensors) are plugged into USB 3.0 ports the headset is plugged into the GTX 1080TI HDMI port and USB 3.1 port.  The monitor is connected to the GTX via displayport to HDMI adapter.  I have another USB port but the same issue occurs whether the monitor or rift is on display port.
    3.) Disabled all USB suspend power options in both the power plan and device manager.  Ensured all USB drives were up to date.
    4.) Ran the Oculus ready tool and have green checks on all components.

I am certain this is a USB driver issue for everyone related to windows and how windows + MOBOs are attempting to regulate the huge power draw from Rift.

I am running an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 board (this is a VR ready board with over 9 usb ports) with the following drivers:

ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.16.38.1
    Intel(r) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0.0162299.251

As of these posts these are the newest drivers for the components.  These platforms had issues in the past from rift but were patched previously for compatibility -or were supposed to be which is why they are allowing my USB checks to report green on the Oculus ready tool.

Here is the core of the problem that most people have and that I see in my logs:

From Windows Event Viewer, I see this log entry every time the rift black screens:

EVENT 12:
    Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:6160) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

That's your problem right there.  This is a problem in OVRServer_64.exe, which is the Rift Home program.

Despite the system already operating in high power mode, the OVRServer_64 attempts to forcibly change the power profile -which windows and mobo drivers dislike -causing a disconnect and black screen.

As others who got this deep have tried, as a work around I attempted to do the following:

1.) Setup my high performance power plan not to throttle any USB power at all (disable all power suspends on displays and USB).  Also do this in device manager in the power management tab for each component.

2.) Run from CMD.exe and type:
    powercfg /list
    Copy down the huge number value that corresponds to the GUID/PID of your power plan.

3.) Open Windows Policy Auditor and navigate to:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management.

To be safe I enabled the policy for "Turn Off Power Throttling"
    I also went into "Specify a custom active power plan" enabled it, then put the GUID/PID number of my customized "High Performance Power Plan" in the box.

I haven't extensively tested this to see if it will stop the black screens but it in theory, should stop Rift Home from messing with the system power plan and causing conflicts with Windows and the USB Mobo drivers.

There is 100% a fatal error in the Rift Home software (OVERServer_x64) in the way it manages power plans and draws power for RIFT.  This needs to be really looked at by the RIFT team because I believe it is the core of most of the blackscreen issues.

• LJKIVLJKIV Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    2+ weeks Black Screen orange light.  Purchased about 17 days ago.  Worked fine first day.  After went to sleep...black screen orange light.  Have tried all suggested fixes in this forum including rolling back the driver to the 388.59.  Updated this morning to the driver released yesterday by Nvidia that purported to fix issue.  no joy.  Logs attached.  What is weird is the sound works, it detects me when I put hmd on and Oculus starts.  if you run a program you can see on the monitor that it detects that it is working.  Driver device manger shows the rift sensors but I don't see HMD detected.   I have seen multiple others with the same problem.  software/hardware conflict? RMA next step?
  • JeetmanJeetman Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    After starting my computer, when I click on the Oculus start up, I hear a warning sound then the screen goes completely black. I have no video control from my PC but when I put on the Oculus headset, the Oculus works fine. My PC screen is still black but I'm able to access the Oculus home menu and features. Only the virtual desktop option is missing. Other than that, I can access and play the 3D content in my library. As a test, I unplugged the HDMI cable on the headset from my PC video card and low and behold, I got my video back on my PC. It appears that the Oculus headset is overriding the main PC video display on my GTX 1080 Nvidia card. This just started happening 2 days ago March 19th, 2018. After the first time I got this problem, I updated my video driver through GeForce's "experience" program. It did not fix the problem.
  • VikingsbladeVikingsblade Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have a Black Screen headset but my app on pc works fine,i dont even get a varning sound/text its just black.Latest driver on grafic.
  • VikingsbladeVikingsblade Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have a Black Screen headset but my app on pc works fine,i dont even get a varning sound/text its just black.Latest driver on grafic.
    so i did a test and reintalled the previus Nvidia driver 391.01 and behold my rift lives again.
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    I opened a support ticket with a huge dump of technical information above.  I think this is the core of the issue right here:

From Windows Event Viewer, I see this log entry every time the rift black screens:

EVENT 12:
    Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:6160) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

I really think this an issue with how OVRServer_x64 conflicts with windows powerplans and motherboard drivers.  Unfortunately outside of the troubleshooting steps I outlined above, all we can do is patient wait for a fix from Oculus Support to patch the OVRServer conflicts with popular motherboard and video drivers.

My technical assumption on this is that the RIFT has a huge USB power draw that is above the normal parameters of a standard USB device (which makes sense for the headset considering it is powering two 1080p screens that are projecting right into your eyeballs + full auto + motion tracking + mic).

The OVRServer software uses some kind of custom script/method to tell windows its "ok" to draw this power -an event that windows and certain motherboards would consider abnormal behavior and cut off to prevent resource problems on the system.

I assume the OVR script/method does not play nice with specific motherboard drivers and windows configurations -which causes the MOBO and/or windows power management controls to detect the voltage spike as abnormal then shut down the port that the HMD is connected to -thus blackscreening your RIFT.

Oculus and the driver manufacturers for the hardware need to coordinate to ensure that they co-op a solution that allows the abnormal power draw without putting the HMD or mobo at risk of overload.  After all, voltage is a very sensitive thing.

• QuestmblQuestmbl Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    The Nvidia driver update is live. I updated my graphics card 6 or 7 hours hours ago. Left my computer on and my rift plugged in. Appears my Black screen issue is resolved. Before the update I would need to reset my computer, the screen in the headset would jitter and then go black, resetting was the only remedy. Hope this helps all who are having this problem.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, the new Nvidia driver came out this week but reports from the community are mixed.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    same results here black screen as always
    Brain Burst
    Art3mis
    What an absolute cock up guys. Black screen again and again on AC and pc2. Latest driver. Pooh!!!
    Art3mis
    I opened a support ticket with a huge dump of technical information above.  I think this is the core of the issue right here:

EVENT 12:

I really think this an issue with how OVRServer_x64 conflicts with windows powerplans and motherboard drivers.  Unfortunately outside of the troubleshooting steps I outlined above, all we can do is patient wait for a fix from Oculus Support to patch the OVRServer conflicts with popular motherboard and video drivers.

My technical assumption on this is that the RIFT has a huge USB power draw that is above the normal parameters of a standard USB device (which makes sense for the headset considering it is powering two 1080p screens that are projecting right into your eyeballs + full auto + motion tracking + mic).

The OVRServer software uses some kind of custom script/method to tell windows its "ok" to draw this power -an event that windows and certain motherboards would consider abnormal behavior and cut off to prevent resource problems on the system.

I assume the OVR script/method does not play nice with specific motherboard drivers and windows configurations -which causes the MOBO and/or windows power management controls to detect the voltage spike as abnormal then shut down the port that the HMD is connected to -thus blackscreening your RIFT.

Oculus and the driver manufacturers for the hardware need to coordinate to ensure that they co-op a solution that allows the abnormal power draw without putting the HMD or mobo at risk of overload.  After all, voltage is a very sensitive thing.

Devs take note, I think this chap is on to something. Worth a definite look dont you think?
  • DreamerODreamerO Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I've gotten the black screen a few times and resolved to restarting my machine. 
    Will do my part and get the log files. Noticed that this hasn't really been a problem until after I noticed when I would idle for a while in my Oculus Home that my screen wouldn't just turn black....it would sporadically turn back on and I would find myself glitched out under my base (as if the sensors just totally lost me)
  • MontoMontoMontoMonto Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Since the release of Rift Core 2.0 (which I still don’t know why is still in Beta version), I am very pleased to have my own space with the possibility of customization, with several ornate objects and design, animated backgrounds and unlockable objects, instead of a static (although cozy) place that was the first Core version.
    However, I’ve experienced several issues in recent times. First, problems with the Guardian System, which I have to deactivate since the warnings made the gaming experience intolerable, and very prone to crash. I don’t know if you had reports of this problem from other users. For your information, thinking about a hardware-related problem or compatibility,  I have a self-assembled PC, with an Intel Core i7 5960X, an ASUS Motherboard Rampage V extreme, 32 GB of DDR4 2666 MHz of RAM, a pair of Nvidia Geforce GTX 980Ti in SLI mode, Windows 10 64-bit Professional edition. My Oculus Rift system is the Rift visor, a pair of Touch Controllers and a 3-sensor array.
    Another issue is the frequent disconnection of the visor, which is random. I found a cause when I bought the Oculus Rift (around November last year) and was the luminosity in the room where my computer is, it was an issue of “occlusion”, but for the signal detection, not physical, so I turned off the light and the problem was solved. I think the white light from the lamp was interfering with the luminosity of the visor’s infrared LEDs, and the sensors were not able to detect the signals. Here in Mexico, a typical house, like mine, has a floor-to-ceiling height of 2.4 m (7.87 ft). 
    But now, I have the same frequent disconnection issue, since the patch for the correction of the problem tagged “Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service”. I haven’t changed the array of my system since December with no black screens, and usually, the connection problem was solved by itself, because when the Rift screen turned black, the system rebooted automatically, and often I could continue my game or experience without more problems, once I unpaused the game/experience. It seems that the automatic system reboot was removed in the new Oculus Core ver 2.0 since once the screen goes black, it’s not returning. I had to repair the installed software in order to use my Oculus Rift again.   
    I’ll wait for your answer to these issues.
    In advance, thank you for your kind attention.
    Sincerely,
    Hector Montoya, Ph.D.
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    All,

After making some group policy changes, my RIFT seems to be able to run google earth and videos perfectly fine without blackscreening.  I have not tried anything extensive like a mage's tale, which is much more taxing on both power and the system components.  I will test it this weekend and report back.

Based on alot of research, here are some troubleshooting steps that can help people with the blackscreen issue:

STEP 1 - BASIC CONFIGURATION CHANGES:

For windows 10 users:

1.) Go into Control Panel > Power Options.

2.) Set the power plan to High Performance.

3.) Go to Change Plan Settings then > Advanced Settings

4.) Under USB Settings, change Selective Suspend to OFF then apply settings.

5.) Go into Device Manager then Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB)

6.) Check every USB device go to properties > power management (if there is a tab) and uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

7.) While doing step 6, it is a good idea to have windows check for new drivers for each USB device.  This is especially true for the following USB drivers, which were known to have past conflicts with the RIFT:

-Any ASMedia USB device drivers
    -Intel eXtensible USB drivers

STEP 2 - ADVANCED CONFIGURATION CHANGES:

1.) Go to "Run" by hitting Windows Key + R and type "CMD" to open a command prompt.

2.) Type: Powercfg /list, you will see all your power plans.  Each one has an associated GUID that will be a long number that looks like 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c.  Highlght the GUID for your high performance power plan and hit "Enter."

3.) Open your windows button on the bottom left of your desktop then type "Edit Group Policy"

4.) With the Local Group Policy Editor Open navigate to: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management

5.) In the Power Management Folder select and edit "Specify A Customer Power Plan"

6.) ENABLE this and in the box that requires a GUID paste the long number from above that we coped from the powercfg list.  Then apply changes.

What we have basically done is optimize the USB use so that windows can't arbitrarily cut power to the RIFT.  We have also forced the use of these optimized settings and set a group policy that forbids OVRServer.exe from making modifications to the power plan.  This may solve many HMD cutoff issues related to USB.

If you still have problems:

STEP 3 - DRIVER CHANGES

1.) Roll back your GPU Driver to a known good version, the new Nvidia Drivers above 390.x are known to have issues.  Nvidia Driver 388.59 is a known good driver for Nvidia users.

2.) Reinstall the Oculus driver by going to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers and running oculus-drivers.  This will automatically reinstall the drivers.

STEP 4 - HARDWARE CHANGES (FOR THE EXTREMELY DESPERATE)

1.) Some videocards (namely the GTX 1080ti, I know it is painful to be king) that have dual HDMI ports may have conflicts if both the monitor and the Rift are plugged into HDMI ports on the videocard.  A way to fix this is to get a DISPLAY PORT to HDMI adapter and switch the MONITOR (not the rift) to the display port adapter.  This prevents the videocard from confusing HDMI output that is mean for the monitor from going to the RIFT, which can cause issues.

2.) If power is an issue, getting a PCI-E or external self-powered USB hub can help. Oculus recommends the INATEK PCI-E USB 3.0/3.1 card.

3.) Swap the RIFT and sensors to different ports (both USB and HDMI) to see if you have any bad ports.

If you have done all of the above, this is ALL you can do.  I've gone through comprehensive research and these are really stopgap changes.  The ultimate fix needs to come through new Oculus drivers that can fully address these issues at the core problem, which I believe is related to OVRServer.exe (which is the RIFT home application and how it interacts with USB hardware + windows power management).

I believe that the majority of the RIFTs out there should be ok from a hardware perspective because I've had the same issues on 2 different rifts.  The real problem is driver related.  I hope this write up can help people having problems and provide good information to the devs to help squash these driver bugs.

• JeetmanJeetman Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    I found the problem I'm having with the black screen. It's the 2.0 beta. I've been using the 2.0 beta for a few months with no problems. As another test, I disabled the 2.0 beta option in the settings location and I can now plug in my Oculus Rift and my black screen is gone. To make sure that disabling the 2.0 beta option was the fix, I re-enabled the option and I got the black screen again so... yeah. My problem is with the 2.0 beta option which, is too bad because I designed a pretty cool home. Oh well, I'd rather be able to work on my VR game design than have the cool house. Support team? Please fix this. I want my house back! Lol
    NerveGear
    i did a fresh install of windows. and i guarantee this is a problem with oculus software and drivers. It wont read the sensors now.  try to uninstall the rift software but its like a virus to get clean. and before you start blaming the motherboard. it ran the Vive no problems. This is all after the new beta launch a little while ago i think.
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    can anyone help. I  have done fresh install of windows and reformatted both drives to be sure. But the rift software will only see the usb and hdmi from the rift. Sensors are not being picked up at all. Again, the Vive is running fine on the same  usb that does not recognize the sensors. It see rift  but not the sensors. Seems strange. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Have you tried different USB ports? USB 2.0 tends to work better. How many sensors do you have? Can you try with only 1 (or 2) at a time and see if maybe one of the sensors has gone bad? Can you try to update your USB drivers? Usually you will find the files on your motherboard maker's website. If that does not work, you can try to uninstall the USB drivers in Device Manager and use Microsoft default.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    so far so good for me.
  • riftwolf1951riftwolf1951 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I found that with an underpowered graphics card (GTX970) this kept happening when the graphics driver rebooted but also there seems to be an issue with some games booster programmes like ASUS GPU Teak 2 that seem to consider the Oculus drivers unnecessary and shut them down resulting in a black screen and inability to reboot until the PC is restarted.
    NerveGear
    Hi, thanks for the help. I am able to get everything plugged in and working. 3 sensors and the rift. I had to play around with the sensor configuration and usb ports and make sure motherboard drivers were all updated. 
    I was really happy for about 10 minutes and the black screen showed up again.   
    I also will notice the screen will get weird blue lines at the top before i know the blackouts will start to happen.   I already ordered a new cable and i am really hoping that is what is causing a lot os my problems. Faulty cable making the usb go in and out causing headaches.  
    I also was able to use my vive on same machine and port for a few hours without issue. I really hope its the cable at this point as my rift is not usable.
  • pecocuspecocus Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I'm going to regret this because as soon as I say all is good, it will break.  :)  However, my Rift is working flawlessly.  I'm using the recommended Inatek USB 3.0 PCI card with the Microsoft drivers.  Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  16gb RAM and a GTX 1080 video card (Gigabyte).  One thing that, perhaps, I do differently is that I'm using OTT and having it start the Oculus service when I start OTT and stop the service when I shut down OTT.  Basically, I use OTT like an on/off switch.  No idea if that makes the difference, but thought I'd throw it out there.  Also, if there is any value in my providing logs so Oculus has something to compare with problematic logs, happy to do so.
  • GarribeanGarribean Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Just got a new Dell Insprion 7577, got it setup for the Rift and now it either never shows anything on the LCD or will work for 5 mins then go dark and not show anything again. But will still hear audio.

Tried 391.24, rolling back to 388.59 and 388.31, but nothing has worked so far. Sometimes I can reboot and Rift will work for 5 mins then black screen and I have to reboot again.