New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

Comments

• douggyvegasdouggyvegas Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    things haven't change...something strange now for me,black screen occures sometimes after 10 mn or more than one hour,never happens at the same time.I use last nvidia drivers.
  • Srilankan1Srilankan1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hey, big update. I went on the theory posted in this thread about usb's not being able to power the headset. So today after i was still getting blackouts with everything i tried, i plugged the rift into the vive breakout box and powered usb switch. Just played for several hours with no issues whatsoever. So Oculus. Please pay attention. whats going on with the usbs and power. people are buying cables but maybe they dont need to?
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Haplo123 said:
    Hey, big update. I went on the theory posted in this thread about usb's not being able to power the headset. So today after i was still getting blackouts with everything i tried, i plugged the rift into the vive breakout box and powered usb switch. Just played for several hours with no issues whatsoever. So Oculus. Please pay attention. whats going on with the usbs and power. people are buying cables but maybe they dont need to?
    yeah for me it seems the ongoing usb issue is the most frustrating from Oculus. I never got black screen from it but many many errors, tracking issues. This is on 2 separate pcs same problems  tried all sorts of tips & power configs to solve this & i have the recommended usb3 extension card but this seems worse than just using my mobo ports. @This problem seems to come & go for me. what is the vive breakout box is this part of the vive package?  
  • edm448edm448 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Several months of progressively deteriorating black screen events which knocked out my Rift and main monitor screen, requiring a reboot, have been totally cured by activating a battery charging mode in BIOS for my USB3.1 connection on an ASUS Z170A mb. Plugging my Rift headset into that higher powered USB source IMMEDIATELY cured the black screen problem and also eliminated continuous error and warning messages shown in the Event Viewer. Previously I have tried all the recommendations on this forum and the patches from Oculus and am now running the latest Nvidia driver. Nothing completely worked before this USB fix. There is likely a transient or marginally high current draw by the Rift headset which is reacting with Win10 to shut off the video. 
    Since raising the current availability for the Rift headset's USB connection I have used the Rift and Touch for at least twelve hours with all the games that previously caused shutdown running perfectly.
    It is an easy fix if your computer has the higher current capability available in BIOS settings. 

• RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 151
    Art3mis
    edm448 said:
    Several months of progressively deteriorating black screen events which knocked out my Rift and main monitor screen, requiring a reboot, have been totally cured by activating a battery charging mode in BIOS for my USB3.1 connection on an ASUS Z170A mb. Plugging my Rift headset into that higher powered USB source IMMEDIATELY cured the black screen problem and also eliminated continuous error and warning messages shown in the Event Viewer. Previously I have tried all the recommendations on this forum and the patches from Oculus and am now running the latest Nvidia driver. Nothing completely worked before this USB fix. There is likely a transient or marginally high current draw by the Rift headset which is reacting with Win10 to shut off the video. 
    Since raising the current availability for the Rift headset's USB connection I have used the Rift and Touch for at least twelve hours with all the games that previously caused shutdown running perfectly.
    It is an easy fix if your computer has the higher current capability available in BIOS settings. 

Followed your suggestion with my Z170 mate. So far NO black screens especially in ETS2 and Asseto corsa. Used to last 10 mins max gameplay with those two titles. So many thanks. Glad I did`nt buy a cheapo mobo.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    edm448 said:

this also worked perfectly for me, i started getting the drop outs in some games last week, and I also have an asus z170, thanks a lot for the pointer. the audio isnt crackling in those games anymore either.

it looks like the usb cord for the HMD (which appsrently carries the audio signal) is highly sensitive to the power levels / current coming through the slot. and @cybereality even mentioned that it was OK to use usb 2.0 for that, I tried that last summer and immediately got the crackling (but not the hmd blackouts like I started getting last week).

after turning on the charging for the usb 3.1 slot and using that for the audio / hmd usb connection, no more audio crackling, no hmd blackouts and the tracking might even seem a little stabler.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    What do you guys think, what difference enabling the bios setting for usb charging mode actually made? 
    As understood, it only powers the port even when the system is shut off, so a connected device can keep charging? Maybe this setting also inhibits some kind of windows power suspend that otherwise took place even during runtime?

I find it strange that windows would suspend the power for an usb device currently in use and even more so since the rift is the first ever device this seems to happen?

I still run the 389.13 driver with the classic home, hesitating from changing anything for fear of breaking it.
  • BallpointPenBallpointPen Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Don't know if anyone knows, but a new Nvidia driver just rolled out. I installed and haven't run into the problem with them so far.
  • edm448edm448 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    What do you guys think, what difference enabling the bios setting for usb charging mode actually made? 
    As understood, it only powers the port even when the system is shut off, so a connected device can keep charging? Maybe this setting also inhibits some kind of windows power suspend that otherwise took place even during runtime?

I find it strange that windows would suspend the power for an usb device currently in use and even more so since the rift is the first ever device this seems to happen?

I still run the 389.13 driver with the classic home, hesitating from changing anything for fear of breaking it.
    That BIOS setting, at least on the ASUS Z170 board, is a higher current continuous operating mode, not just a battery charger. I believe the Rift draws a marginally high current in excess of the specified capability of the normal USB source. It may only do this sometimes although I founld it was sensitive to Touch movement or maybe scene brightness since some games consistently would trigger a blackout at the same place. Somehow that high current or short spike interacts with Windows to kill the video. The fix is working quite well for me and if you don't have a high current USB mode available on your board it may be worth the effort to try to raise the USB power capability for the Rift headset with something like the  Vive breakout box and a powered switch like Haplo123 recommended a few posts earlier.
    I hope Oculus finds a fix to reduce the current draw on the existing Rifts and eliminate this problem.
  • JQuinn74JQuinn74 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edm448 said:

That BIOS setting, at least on the ASUS Z170 board, is a higher current continuous operating mode, not just a battery charger. I believe the Rift draws a marginally high current in excess of the specified capability of the normal USB source. It may only do this sometimes although I founld it was sensitive to Touch movement or maybe scene brightness since some games consistently would trigger a blackout at the same place. Somehow that high current or short spike interacts with Windows to kill the video. The fix is working quite well for me and if you don't have a high current USB mode available on your board it may be worth the effort to try to raise the USB power capability for the Rift headset with something like the  Vive breakout box and a powered switch like Haplo123 recommended a few posts earlier.
    I hope Oculus finds a fix to reduce the current draw on the existing Rifts and eliminate this problem.
    I hope this works for me I’m still having a Black Screen issue which only provides audio 
    I have an MSi GS63 and when I open the debug tool to mirror my headset I can see clearly what I need to see on my headset. I’ve been getting OVRServiceLauncher errors on my log reports. Somehow my intel graphics card is still the primary even though I’ve change my Nvidia graphics card in the control panel to be the primary, I’m probably still doing something that’s not allowing it. It’s been a frustrating three weeks for me so far.
  • NelvanaNelvana Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just want to know if this might be a cable issue or an update issue. I just got my new Oculus and a i7 Aurora Alienware computer with Geforce GTX 1080. So I know I have all the required specs. I was using it one night and it was working fine but the next day I put it on, it had a black screen but had audio. I checked for updates, new drivers, downloaded and checked everything that could help, but nothing worked. The USB part of the cord works, the computer senses it when I plug it in, but when I plug in the HDMI part of the cord, it doesn't sense it. It completely ignores it. I check to see if the computer knows it's plugged in but it doesn't. (I only have one HDMI port and it's through the video card, not the motherboard)
    It pains me because I don't know what is wrong. Is it an update issue or do I have to buy a new cord. (I didn't even get the chance to break it in! It broke before I could do it. haha... ;_; )
  • XelsoXelso Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Is it really so difficult to fix this problem? Yesterday I got this black screen again, but with a new problem: HDMI no signal!
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Xelso said:
    Is it really so difficult to fix this problem? Yesterday I got this black screen again, but with a new problem: HDMI no signal!
    was it similar conditions to before, ie leaving idle?
  • MolockMolock Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Still getting this issue also. Only happens when left idle you can actually hear the windows chime when a usb connection has been lost. Restarting the PC fixes it and everything runs fine unless I leave it idle for a while. I was under the impression it was an issue with an Nvidea driver and that the last Nvidea would fix this. It hasn't. The thing that gets me is I only got this issue a month or 2 ago. Rift ran fine all through 2017 so it must be a software issue rather than a hardware one surely? I find it extremely worrying that some people report the issue getting worse and effect them whilst using it. So far as long as I restart the PC it will run fine as long as I am using it and do not let it go into sleep mode or sit idle for a while. I hope this gets fixed soon.
  • JeetmanJeetman Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I just installed the latest driver from Invidia in hopes that I could use 2.0 Beta Oculus again. Unfortunately, when I activated the 2.0 beta setting, it STILL only will display my Oculus programming within the Oculus headset and cause my main monitor screen to go black. I was going to try the idea that lordhelmos posted but everything is working when I disable 2.0 Beta so I don't want to possibly break something that is currently working. I'll wait till the Oculus support team find the answer.
  • XelsoXelso Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    nrosko said:
    Xelso said:
    was it similar conditions to before, ie leaving idle?
    Yes, but additional the pc was in standby.
  • MerlinCMerlinC Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2018
    Have you tried with the latest Nvidia driver and (if that doesn't work) driver 388.59?

Does that mean that the latest Nvidia driver (391.35) is confirmed to be o.k. ? What happend with the activities where Oculus and NVidia teamed up to get the black-screen issue resolved? Still no outcome?

By the way the latest changes over time - thus a good technical support should mention the revision number.
  • MerlinCMerlinC Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    JQuinn74 said:
    I’ve tried the Nvidia 388.59 and I have the same black screen results. My headset was working fine before all this happened. I left my log info in my previous messages you’ll see the errors that are popping up under OVRServiceLauncher. This new driver doesn’t work at all. Something through my headset off and its not showing up as a display in my display settings. My laptop is a MSi G63 VR stealth pro
    Using a newer driver version then 388.59 is just one potential root-cause for black-screens. If you are using the 388.59 and still get black-screens you just eliminated the driver as potential root-cause. Get in contact with Oculus support and provide the files they request. In case it's a hardware issue they will (after a while) start RMA process.
  • QuestmblQuestmbl Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    For me, the Nvidia 391.95 drivers totally resolved my black screen issue. I do have a VR ready Strix 1080 graphics card(2 HDMI ports on card). I did not attempt to correct the problem until there was an official fix from Oculus or Nvidia.
  • FractionsFractions Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Howdy,

My Rift was working fine for about a month with no issues. Unit yesterday, while playing VRchat, my left eye just went out. I suspect the monitor is dead or something. There's no external damage to my Rift. Nothing wrong with the lens.

I don't think its software related since it happened while I was playing. 

How would I go about getting it repaired?
  • LJKIVLJKIV Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edm448 said:

Can you post a link or describe exactly what to change (for those of us less proficient at tweaking BIOS settings)
  • LJKIVLJKIV Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018

3+ weeks Black screen orange light.  worked day 1, I went to sleep, computer went to sleep and it is has been black screen orange light every since.  email support, tried the forum advice.  eventually  RMA'd device, plugged in the replacement ....and you guessed it,, still black screen orange light.  updated to newest nvidia driver....disabled fast boot.  have verified that all ports are working by switching other devices to that port... no issues.

....I still have sound in headset, the HMD tracks as you can see movement in the monitor...

This must be  a software/hardware conflict.  

NVidia gtx 1080  i7 7700k 4.2.g

I literally bought the computer as an oculus ready machine.

Next?    i don't want a ~$400 dollar paper weight

• FiladanFiladan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Hopefully they will have a fix soon
  • ocumityocumity Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    It was used properly until January 2018.
    In March, I could not see anything with the Rift headset. I hear the sound.
    I want a solution.
  • SatoriusSatorius Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Got the same issue several times  I tried to close the oculus rift app and my computer lag so much I have to reboot my computer manually.   At the end I just unplug the Headset (both the HDMI and the UBS) and plug it back and seem to work without closing the oculus rift app.  

Satorius
  • KarlroeKarlroe Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi I'm Having the same problem but with an AMD card R9 290 . Here's my log file  Also every time I start Oculus home the screen freezes then home restarts and everything will run fine until it black screens which is anything from minutes to a couple of hours

• nigelgosnigelgos Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I'm having black screen issues on a clean install of Win 10 x64 with a GTX 1060. I've tried these 3 drivers (388.59, 391.01, 391.35). My rift setup can't complete because I see nothing in the HMD when I'm at the point where I need to put the headset on.
  • PeleousPeleous Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Having the same issue - sound works but no video. Reboot not helping. Was working fine since I got it at launch. Hooked it up to a brand new VR Ready computer (Corsair One Pro) and it's not working. Went back to my old computer and tried it and same problem. Did fresh oculus reinstall on both and didn't help. Tried turning off guardian - didn't help. Haven't tried rolling back nvidia drivers yet, but will give it a shot later today.

Also, how do I upload a zip file of my log? I found the file as the link described, but how do I get it from a note file to a zip and upload it. Any help appreciated! Thanks!
  • jordan.smart.50jordan.smart.50 Posts: 21
    NerveGear
    cant complete setup after "continue in headset"
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    see Lordhelmos post - if his thtadvice doesn't work...
    then ask for support!
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35