New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

Comments

• the_soupdragonthe_soupdragon Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2018
    WOW my oculus software just updated and now I have this black fucking screen.
    Oculus software tells me everything is connected but in my notifications It says oculus isnt working correctly.  No Shit!!

I click on the support article and get taken to a web page with some totally useless suggestions.

I need this sorted quick.  Not a happy bunny as you might have guessed.

[edit]  looking through the forum and taking on some advice posted here I rolled back my Nvidia drivers to the recommended version (388.59) my rift is working again.  So if you have the black screen issue this might be worth a try. [end edit]
  • DonttouchmybuttDonttouchmybutt Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Ive recently developed an issue with my hdmi headset cable ( i think). while the headset is on, it will occasionally blackout. sometimes it blinks in and out and sometimes its stay black the only solution I have managed to find is to mess with the cable. I have also noticed that while the sound works just fine, my mic apparently turns off. ive only had the rift for about 7 months. not sure why the cable suddenly crapped out on me. if i were to guess its due to twisting the cable when i spin around in games (i have it jury rigged to the ceiling with a dog leash). is there anyway to fix my cable or do i seriously have to buy a new one?
  • ToddBarberToddBarber Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having them, just started since the new Oculus update.  Using Beta

System Specs

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name THREADRIPPER
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model X399 AORUS Gaming 7
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU Default string
    Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3g, 10/3/2017
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.371"
    User Name THREADRIPPER\Todd Barber
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
    Available Physical Memory 57.3 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 62.0 GB
    Page File Space 9.50 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

• KarpistKarpist Posts: 7
    NerveGear

Please find attached log files.

I have an Oculus rift which runs fine on my home machine [ i7, windows 10, Asus 1050ti ] however my work machine is a real problem.

We have now updated the graphics card to a Nvidia Quadro P4000 [stated as Oculus Vr friendly by Nvidia, and listed by Oculus as compatible and get all green ticks in the Oculus system check from a previous M4000.

We updated the adapter to a plugable.com dp-hdmi HDMI standard 2.0 supporting resolution up to 3840x2160 (4K) Ultra-HD @ 60Hz, [email protected]

We updated the Nvidia drivers 391.33 . running Window 7 HP Z840 64gb ram dual Xeon.

We have run a repair on the Oculus install and applied the patch.

Still no video in the headset only audio but a very nice image of VR game running on screen thanks to card, the image also moves in synch to the headset. The Oculus set up goes as far as continue set up in head set....not seeing anything makes this difficult.

Where do I go from here...I would note that I am running a dual monitor CAD set up and so I have a primary and secondary monitor set at 1920 x 1080 of the four port on the graphics card both monitors run thro adapters and a third is used for the above adapter to run the Rift. Any help gratefully received.

• blacky75blacky75 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    still experience short Blackouts whilst racing!!! Any fix approaching? TIA
    specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Does this happen in multiple games or just 1 title? Do you have fully updated video card drivers?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    Does this happen in multiple games or just 1 title? Do you have fully updated video card drivers?
    it never happened before, now it happens ... I just played these last month at iRacing only in the rift...and I'm unable to produce it a specific time, as sometimes I can race an hour w/o any problem, the other race later on the blackouts are starting. Nvidia drivers are up to date, running a 1080 card. It's not hardware related, it is somewhere, somehow, software. Now, is it the latest Windows 10 patches? The latest Nvidia drivers? .... What's triggering the black outs?!.... :/ In the mean time I can't drive any official races, as the rift isn't sure.... :/
    Thnks for trying to help!
    specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen
    The reason I ask is because I recall people reporting all sorts of issues with iRacing (including black screens) and it could be something specific to that game.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    Did you maybe install the Oculus setup with Run as Admin? If you do that, it will mess up the permissions, Please uninstall Oculus completely and install normally (NOT Run as Admin). Also, it's having trouble finding your headset, that may be a USB issues so try different USB ports for the headset cable (USB 2.0 works as well) and/or update your USB drivers.
    hi cyber..
    Please can you explain why running the install as admin would mess things up..I've not heard this before.. Has something changed recently? Intrigued...   
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited April 2018
    I use Oculus on DisplayPort>HDMI Adapter (4k*2k) short cable. Is the issue to do with the DVI>HMDI Adapter not sending active power after some time I wonder?

I was not aware of Oculus setup with NOT Run as Admin myself either and had presumed the opposite but can't remember what I did 1 year ago besides use Runtime v1.0 to avoid SSE4.2 cpu checks.
  • misc1234misc1234 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This really need to be fixed. I haven't been able to install my rift at all. On setup when you shall finish in the headset its just black. I have white light but no image or sound if it should be in that step? I've tried everything I can read on forums. All adrivers i can come up with both old and latest. Tried every port on my brand new computer.
    Please come up with a solution. Expensive compuiter and expensive VR and haven't tried it at all.
    I shall mention I haven't been able to install RiftDisplay.inf on my computer if that helps? Just says "a problem occured"

Attached my logs
    And here are my specs.
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
    i7 8700K
    16gb 3200mhz RAM
    Asus 1070ti
  • moeta5888moeta5888 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello Oculus Community,
    I have been in contact with support for some time now and have had the blank screen and orange light for a couple months. I received one replacement which did not remedy the problem and I'm creating this post as a hail mary in hopes that someone might have some further insight to my particular issue. My specs are:

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Intel Core i7 6800K @ 3.40GHz
    ASUS X99-E (SOCKET 2011)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    32.0GB of Ram

The Oculus Log is from a refurbished headset that was sent to me recently. I appreciate any help and best of luck to everyone trying to fix their issues.

• Bru.WardenBru.Warden Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Intermittent Black Screen: 
    Adding a short HDMI cable does not affect my Rift.
    Adding a short USB 3.0 cable to the headset (with and without HDMI extension) causes intermittent black screen (1-3 second black out, once every 10 minutes, but increases up to once per minute with use). I have used repeaters to no avail. I have installed the recommended USB card that has its own power source plugged into the PC Power source with only the Rift headset plugged into the card - no success.
    I have done all recommended software changes (power saving, etc) - no change.
    From what I can tell, its neither an operating system or Oculus software issue. It appears to be lack of signal strength to through the USB 3.0 extension cable (I have tried different cables) to the headset, but cannot find a way to reliably boost it.

One trick that does work for me is to extend the HDMI (plugged in back of PC), and plug the USB to the front of my PC - giving me an extra couple of precious feet to work with.

EDIT: I dropped out the recommended "Intertek 3.0 USB PCIe card", and replaced with a "Startech PCIe USB 3.0 w/ dedicated channels". I am now running one 9ft extension to the headset, with 2 x 3.0 USB sensors (one with a 20ft repeater) on the card, and a 3rd sensor off the motherboard's 3.0 USB --- and have no issues.
    Brain Burst
    The reason I ask is because I recall people reporting all sorts of issues with iRacing (including black screens) and it could be something specific to that game.
    ok, then I have to try out 2 things now:
    Playing Elite Dangerous or RaceRoom over an hour,
    and if THEN I STILL have blackouts, I'll try with the cables directly into the USB ports, as I'm using USB 3 cable extensions... Keep in touch!
  • Tack88Tack88 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    Ive change my graphic card by a Nvidia GeForce GTX 960. Now, I have a black screen. Plz help me.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professionnel N Service Pack 1 64 bit (build 6.1.7601)
    Asus Z97-P (BIOS 2803)
    Intel Core i5-4670 3,40 GHz socket 1150 (Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
    8Go RAM
    I try to use driver 388.59 but it dosn't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXf-9rI28xb5eEEAnlJFe_QeVQa9exWB/view?usp=sharing

• uzul81uzul81 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    My "No HDMI connection" solved by replacing cable (it cost 1/4 of full headset...). Attach  foto of old hdmi connector. HOW can this pin has broken this way - I don't know...
  • MerlinCMerlinC Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2018
    uzul81 said:
    My "No HDMI connection" solved by replacing cable (it cost 1/4 of full headset...). Attach  foto of old hdmi connector. HOW can this pin has broken this way - I don't know...
    Every electrical connector has a limited lifetime (contact durability) - but depending on the time you own your device it should not break. In case if it's no older than 24 months and you are living in the EU you could issue a warranty claim.

P.S.: Would be interested how long you own the device / cable and how often you plugged/unplugged the HDMI cable.

You could avoid stressing the connnector by either keeping it plugged or you use a short extension - but if you buy an inexpensive one you could run into issues operating your Rift (disconnects)
  • uzul81uzul81 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    MerlinC said:
    uzul81 said:
    Every electrical has a limited lifetime (contact durability) - but depending on the time you own your device it should not break. In case if it's no older than 24 months and you are living in the EU you could issue a warranty claim.

P.S.: Would be interested how long you own the device / cable and how often you plugged/unplugged the HDMI cable.

You could avoid stressing the connnector by either keeping it plugged or you use a short extension - but if you buy an inexpensive one you could run into issues operating your Rift (disconnects)
    I own Rift about 4 month, first time (2.5 month) use it with laptop and plug/unplug it every time I used it (often). Then I build new desktop (laptop's 7700HQ + 16Gb RAM + 6Gb 1060 has some lags in E:D and ETS2, and I bought 8700K + 32Gb + 1080ti and all work very smooth). Interesting, what I play in headset in evening, shut down PC, and next morning Rift say "No HDMI connection" - I DON'T touch cables at all!
    I live in Russia, warranty not working here likely...
    I had the black screen happen on my home system. I was able to resolve it by going to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
    And double-clicking "oculus-driver.exe". Maybe it will help some of you.
  • DiabloBorrachoDiabloBorracho Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I just got the Rift a week ago.  Of course, when I invite people over to play games I get the Black screen bug and have to reboot 3 times to get Project Cars 2 working.

Sometimes I can get the rift display to turn on by just closing the Oculus program, waiting for my screens to blink (Lets me know the HDMI to the RIFT was removed from the display connections) and then click the oculus program open again.  Last two days, odds were about 20-30% of closing/opening Oculus to get the screen to turn on.

Today, I had the screen turn "half on" with cycling the oculus program.  White bar through the middle od bother eyes, and but the  start area with tracking on either side actually displayed.  I reset oculus program again, and it went back to black screens.

Win10 64, Intel i7-6850K, 16GB RAM, 2x 1080Ti-SLI
  • GabkicksGabkicks Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2018
    i just installed the latest nvidia drivers and now i am having no video getting to my rift again :( i tried restarting and still nothing

vanilla nonbeta rift software works so i will use that

Oculus rift DK2, 4790k, R9 290 crossfire disabled, 16gb DDR3 1866, Windows 10 64-bit, 2 monitors.
  • DiabloBorrachoDiabloBorracho Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    I just updated Nividia Drivers to 397.31.  I'm still getting a blank screen on re-open.  And right now I just got my display to be split with a black bar down the middle of each Eye.

I'm in the lobby, and the black bar takes up half the view, right down the middle from top to bottom.  The bottom has a white bar that bleeds greenish as it transitions to black.  Probably an artifact of the lens refraction but unsure.  The view on each side of the black bar is a projection as though the black bars don't exist.  The black bar doesn't block the view, it splits it.  Eye tracking still works, and I'm getting the lobby crickets.  Resetting the view from the menu options does nothing to fix it.

2 more restarts and it worked again.  I'm at about 20% odds of the screen working on oculus program restart.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    sinple qustion:

is it “safe” to update to the latest nvidia drivers?

@cybereality
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I wonder if even the Update is working as intended, either by MS Update Driver in Device Settings, using the full Setup package, or using Experience to do it.
    Myself have no issues but did use DDU to get back from 388.59 to 384.94 after already performing a Rollback from the latest 391.35
    I had glitch issues when I ran my overclock/fan monitor program with E:D in Stations. No issues without it on GTX1080 (old 970 needed it to start fans in games else crashed from heat) and old driver has less drops too. I could probably try the latest driver again as had worked before but I like to use PD=2 and that does require over 4k cpu power and so when the frames get around 25fps it will glitch again. Therefore I run my Tasks efficiently as possible. No Cortana (reg hack & renamed); VoiceAttack no plugins; no Nvidia Audio/3D/Experience/Update but only Driver and the PhysX which is not used really either. If your cpu can handle the added gpu effects then go for it.
    @danknugz As far as I am aware, the specific Nvidia driver issue was fixed (it had to do with the HDCP connection being lost, which would cause a black screen). I'm running the latest Nvidia driver on 2 machines and it works. However, there are other causes for black screens. The most popular one has to do with the RiftDisplay.inf driver being blocked or uninstalled somehow. I have instructions to reinstall it earlier in this thread. And there could be other reasons too. In any case, if you experience a black screen, please submit a bug report in the Help Center of the Oculus app. It's in the lower left corner, then click Provide Feedback. Thanks.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    ok, havent decided if in going to update yet, things work fine for the most part on 388.79
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • EddieChristianEddieChristian Posts: 67 Oculus Start Member
    GTX 1080 Latest Drivers cause Errors and Black Screen
  • pecocuspecocus Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I've installed the latest drivers with my GTX 1080 and everything is working flawlessly.  Having said that, I've been one of the lucky ones that hasn't had the black screen issue.  I don't think it's the Nvidia driver causing the issue for the folks still having problems.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane
    I had a black screen that was followed by my first time ever "HDMI problem" Oculus Store notification.

So as others have said be aware that in some cases you might be having a cable problem instead of a software problem, that can (or can't) be ~fixed just by twitching the CV1's cable, and aiming to put less cable pressure on the PC's HDMI connector.

If you can borrow a CV1 cable from a friend to confirm if you have a cable problem, that's even better.
  • porfirio.aragonporfirio.aragon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm another victim of the infamous black screen...

Can someone please upload the most recent riftdisplay.inf?