New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • LAW1980LAW1980 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    For anyone using the Rift Core 2.0 beta, it's worth turning that off...

Purely experimental, but I found out that was causing my black screen.
  • CronaCrona Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    LAW1980 said:
    For anyone using the Rift Core 2.0 beta, it's worth turning that off...

Purely experimental, but I found out that was causing my black screen.
    Same here. Core 2.0 + 397.31 caused black screen with orange light. 391.XX worked fine. Installing the drivers as cybereality mentioned did nothing.

I've submitted feedback and rolled back to the old software. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know
  • LucagouryLucagoury Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    Hi everybody ! 
    I come here because I hope to find a solution...
    I have a black screen for 3 months now and I have tried everything to fix it.

- Uninstall / Reinstall Oculus
    - Remove Windows Quick Start
    - Try multiple update versions of my Nvidia graphics card (GTX 1080)
    - Remove gardian system
    - Fully reinstall Windows 10
    - Remove Beta

Question is : Does your Oculus RIft work ? YES !
    Yesterday i launch OculusDriver tool and the orange light has disappeared to finally appear in white. 
    I managed to see the menu for 2 minutes (This happened in beta mode) then...black screen...
    I tried to restart the tool but it does not work anymore ...

So, I am desperate...

PS: I have already contacted the after-sales service, but they could not help me ...

thank's for your help ! :) 

• Cookie5504Cookie5504 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I get that black screen, But if I go back to the old home and out of the Beta, the unit works again. So I believe it is something between the new Dash 2.0 and possibly the Nivida newer drivers.
    Thanks so much!
    This fixed mine aswell!
  • AllebcAllebc Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    My oculus arrived last week and since the beginning its a fight... oculus keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. At the moment its working but if i lay my hands...... Maybe its the cable, i don't know.... I did all the bios updates, new pci express usb 3.0 card, nvidia driver to 388.59 worked for a while, when I upgrade windows 10 to falls creator and disable the antivirus then restart the windows it worked too, but after 20 minutes it was off, tried in another pc (same thing), unplug  and plug the cables (from the headset too) etc etc and it keeps going on and off. Just sometimes when i restart the pc it goes back to the white light.... Guardian System is on (while off i still had the same black screen/ orange light issue) and Rift core 2.0 is off because it split the screen in two rooms... (Maybe this is a dumb information but it seems that it works more at night?! The average temperature today was 22-24º C in my city... but just now with the last reset of the pc, the headset keeps on while I don't touch it... its been on for more the 30min! A record!) Well...I'm lost with ideas already. I will try one last time sending this log. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (and sorry for the bad english) 

*Just a update: I was doing the full setup again and a message to update appear, now the firmware of the headset is: 708/b1ae4f61ae But the disconnecting and reconnecting issue its not over.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    OK to be blunt, I am bloody pissed off with blackouts since a crash within BOXVR. I've tried totally everything, from 1.25 to 1.26 in Classic Mode to 1.25 again, from old Nvidia driver 384.94 to 388.31 after trying 391.35 and back. I have now even made the April Win10 Update and no change. On reboots it NEVER finds any sensors even if I swap USB slots around and constantly needs them re-plugged in.

So, what is to blame here? What the hell happened to all our systems?

Shit needs to work!
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    Tried disabling Fastboot and no change. Device will not work once I look around.
    Using OculusDebugTool RESTART OCULUS SERVICE does find both sensors though rather than needing to re-plug.
    Just tried Safe Mode DDU again and 388.59 and no joy.

"[Error] [23/04/2018 04:00:09] Unknown error (0xe0000247)
                            Error Code: -536870329
                            Install Step: InstallDriver
                            Sub Install Step: Monitor Driver
                            Severity: Error
                            Line Number: 132
                            Caller: Install
                            ODI Version: 1.21.5.0
                            File Path: C:\cygwin\data\sandcastle\boxes\trunk-hg-ovrsource-full\Software\OculusSDK\PC\Support\OculusDriverInstaller\OculusDriverInstaller\Driver.cs
    [Warning] [23/04/2018 04:00:09] Install Complete: An install subtask emitted a warning
                            Error Code: 0
                            Install Step: InstallDone
                            Sub Install Step:
                            Severity: Warning
                            Line Number: 293
                            Caller: Install
                            ODI Version: 1.21.5.0
                            File Path: C:\cygwin\data\sandcastle\boxes\trunk-hg-ovrsource-full\Software\OculusSDK\PC\Support\OculusDriverInstaller\OculusDriverInstaller\Installer.cs"

*Looked at the RiftDisplay Driver and it shows an issue. Perhaps it's too old so can someone upload it please as I can not access the new install package files due to SSE4.2 checks.

*Wondering if the REGDIT hack works by DisablingSelectiveSuspend whilst in some case it does not work if only selected in Power Management:
    http://9b5.org/2011/10/windows-disable-usb-power-saving-disableselectivesuspend/

*Else, I tried swapping DP Adapter>HDMI (Rift) to monitor. I also get no picture on the Monitor. The Adapter is a short cable 4k*2k and has worked for a full year. Perhaps it burnt out or has bad connectors. It's also known that the Rift is very picky about running well on its USB cable. So any kinks, corrosion on the contacts could potentially cause this.

Win10 also killed my HP Printer and is being repaired/replaced!
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    Tried the re-plug HMD HDMI whilst powered off and no different.
    Then with only HMD connected to my 4 slots USB3 I unplug, then I can select FORGET DEVICE in the drop down panel, I plugin to a slot I hadn't used it on before (it wouldn't really matter) and now it gives me a small sign "SETUP RIFT?" in the upper right. Yes, and it works to then setup as always and the I'm able to look all around without blackouts in the DEMO LAB. I press escape to get back into Home (they didn't provide a Touch button to exit) and it's back.
    BLACK OUTS!
    So, I do know for a fact it isn't: Cables, USB issues in Win10, Nvidia etc. but the problem is either I need my Driver properly Installed OR to fix Home. All of these I can not get access to do as I had to use Runtime1.0 to get this to install and bypass SSE4.2 and the new updates never provide me with files I can access as you get if you download them, which is merely a SETUP file which will perform SSE4.2 before allowing installation files to be unpacked.

Can I please have Runtime1.25 as an Installation Pack which contains Repair and Driver Install?
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    I tried Oculus Repair and it removes all your files and tries to re-install. It failed to install.
    I think because either it is the new Win10 App & Features option of Allow Apps From Anywhere is required.
    Anyway I got a hacked SSE4.2 cpu check Runtime. It installed but I still got blackouts. It surely is WIN10.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/36925/sse-4-2-undetected/p4

BTW when using a VRCover it stops your HMD sensor light coming on and so shows us that it is always set to ON.
    A component overheat?

Support don't recommend this but it might be the solution yet...
    *Wondering if the REGEDIT hack works by DisablingSelectiveSuspend whilst in some case it does not work if only selected in Power Management:
    http://9b5.org/2011/10/windows-disable-usb-power-saving-disableselectivesuspend/

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,488 Oculus Start Member
    hkarrson said:
    I no longer get black screens anymore. Thanks Oculus! Whatever you did worked for me.
    What Nvidia drivers are you using ?
  • mickt014mickt014 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Trying to run the setup in VR, when told to continue in headset only get black screen.
    Win 10 1803 Nvidia GTX 1070 388.59

Wintermute
    I now got even a boot record problem I'm trying to fix. WIN10 can not fix an mbr on the boot drive it is trying to boot from and even using a Repair CD from Win10 Control Panel>Create Repair Disc will not fix it. It's as though WIN10 Updates and loses a good track of it's permissions and login info as it goes. The last Updates made my USB Controller run too low power it seems too and if I get back in I will ROLL BACK USB controller driver. It has already physically broken my printer now in for repairs. It got a crash during BOXVR and this seems to have corrupted files which cause more problems.

Never a good idea to Update Windows. Instead it needs a fresh install and they should provide a means to install all you programs and licenses/passwords etc. to prevent a severe cause for stress and costs us time and money. Even then, I still have no idea if a new install will be able to reliably run Oculus until another crash messes it all up!
  • single66single66 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    I'm getting the following error when trying to use my Oculus Rift:

"You have a pending hardware issue that is preventing you from entering VR. Please check that your headset and sensor are connected."

However, on the Devices page everything looks fine. It shows that the headset and sensor are connected.
    But on the headset I have a black screen and orange light.

When trying to launch a software using Steam VR, I get a more explicit message: "Headset not detected".

I noticed that this showed up for the first time AFTER a windows update done on my computer on may 10th. Since then I could not get the rift to work.

I also noticed that the following file (related to USB 3.0) was updated:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\USBXHCI.SYS that same day (may 10th).
    Maybe this is a USB port issue?

Here are the logs I gathered (96 hours of history - problem started on may 10th in the afternoon):

Thank you for your help !
    Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    OK I found my Blackout Problem = kinked cable (not broken) just after the HMD clip. In my opinion and is very much obviously apparent, THE CABLE IS ROUTED BADLY!

It wasn't the socket but as I applied pressure on the badly kinked part it would go on/off which explains why it went off first when I looked up or right as that put the cable under much stress.

To fix this I routed the cable over the top of the headband and then it follows a much more direct path down my back. I fail to see why OCULUS did not do the same. In fact the path they chosen for a stiff cable will obviously ultimately not last long! I feel very strongly that they failed to test the best routing and is the very cause for the many Blackout Problems Users are having. In fact, if you route your cable directly to the left or right arms then it will be unavoidable to snag whilst enjoying for example BOXVR. However, it is just the shear weight on the cable being clipped so tightly at a sharp angle which is just no good whilst it has a power supply inside it!

OCULUS you do owe us a deal on replacement cables and be sure to update how these are to be routed from now on.

Here is the kink clearly but now routed in the best position because the extra slack points it down your back: -

NerveGear
    Its almost a month since I purchased the Oculus rift and since May 6 (the day I last posted in here) my Oculus headset won't connect. I'm waiting on a solution with the support, but just gonna post here how thinks are until now so maybe someone can help or solve their problems too.
    So... I have windows 10 pro v. 1803, updated my 1060 with nvidia drivers to the latest as requested (v. 397.64), already tried v. 388.59 but it didn't work too)
    I have tried all combinations with hdmi to DP Adapter, tried switching ports and disabled the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” in all usb ports.
    I tried in another computador and it still won't connect.
    My Oculus software is updated to 1.26 and the two sensors always worked just fine!
    In my Logs this error appears every time: " {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed."  But support haven't told me any solution about it.
    I have sent support photos of my cables and they look fine but my problem looks really like this one video before it stopped working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZt7-C-e2s When I touched the cables or hold the headset it would disconnect.
     Windows really recognizes that something is up in the usb 3.0 port. The photo "Untitled-11" in attachment shows the Oculus headset is represented as "generic superspeed usb hub". I tried to remove but in the headset it keeps showing the orange light.
    Anyway.... I will keep trying to test and search for more solutions until support respond me. 

Wintermute
    edited May 2018
    @Allebc all this needs is to install the Rift Driver found in:
    C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers
    Else you have the common kinked cabled caused by the sharp angle by the clip. If the driver is not the issue try same as I did with above pics and make more slack for the cable then move the clip to the other side so the slack points the cable down your back. Even then if it is the cable being kinked, this must get replaces by Oculus Support before it causes further damage.
  • GloozyGloozy Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I had the same difficulty installing the damn pilot.
    I realized by chance, by displaying the hidden devices of the windows device manager (Click on the View tab of the menu bar of the windows device manager and select "Show hidden devices") that several monitors appeared hidden (and, except for the Rift, I only have one monitor connected to the PC)

I deleted all hidden monitors via Device Manager in Windows 10, then rebooted the PC.

This finally allowed me to finalize the installation of the "Riftdisplay.inf" driver without getting an error.
    NerveGear
    @MAC_MAN86 I tried installing the drivers clicking in this folder, but nothing appears... then I tried to open the Oculus software and it says it was updating the drivers... After some time I could open and searched for the headset drivers but nothing of this RiftDisplay.inf" and still got no connection... But for real, I hope its a problem only with the cable and not the whole headset because they don't ship for my country, so no replacement for me :( But I have found someone who sells the cable only... So I'll have to pay just more R$ 400 with taxes to play in VR :D (Thats like U$ 109,90 total)
    @Gloozy This is a new one!! :D I didn't thing of hidden devices!!  I'm so happy that I found something that I haven't tried yet!  I'm at work but soon I get home gonna do it!

• magnus.fosdalmagnus.fosdal Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    so i have resisted updating my nvidia driver for a good time now and im afraid of updating... because i dont want my rift to get the blackscreen issue and there is a LOT of mixed results on this forum too.. so what should i do?

keep using a really outdated nvidia driver or try and update?
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    @magnus.fosdal I suggest to you to keep things as they are if the Oculus is working for you! Because I tried the nvidia drivers 388.59 and it worked for some time. But Support told me to update it to the newest (but its not working... maybe because of other reasons) Oculus isn't a plug and play thing. As you said... I believe that every change results in a different end for each user in here. But I'm not a expert... So if you really wanna try it remember to note every change you do... Hope I could help you.
  • SBDesignSBDesign Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    thats ur choice surely?

• BoneboysBoneboys Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2018
    New troubles with the last Oculus app build, Oculus software, version 1.26.

1: After shutting down Oculus app the taskbar on screen 1 does not work.
    2: Black screen in Rift when launching Steam Oculus games (PC2 for example).
    The only way to force the rift to work with games is to leave Oculus app running (reduced in the taskbar) when launching a game.
    Closing Oculus app will shut down the game without notification.
    I have had Oculus app set to Admin status when playing other than Oculus games for near on a year without ever having any issues.
    This is not a Nvidia driver problem.
    Previous to last Oculus build everything worked perfectly, only after the version 1.26 update did these (new) problems start ( five days).

I had the original "black screen" issue when the trouble started back a good few months ago (check post history if required) which resolved itself using different Nvidia drivers.
    The dual monitor / screen taskbar issue is new to me.

I will report back if I find a solution.
    Any worthwhile advice would be welcome...
    Thanks.
    Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.
    NerveGear
    So here I am again... I tried the above suggestions of @Gloozy and @MAC_MAN86 and it didn't work... I had already given up but support talked to me today! They told me to send the serial number and my address so I can send the Oculus to them to test it and maybe get a replacement. But as I expected this won't work since I live in a country where they don't ship. So... I went to a friend's house who has a nvidia 1070, nothing worked too but then I crossed in to a page about the nvidia drivers and found some consumers having success with the 384.94! I won't give up on my VR!! I just tried this drivers version on my pc and... IT WORKED! I was since 5 May getting just black screen but now it keeps showing the white light! I was so happy... BUT! As the world isn't just sun and flowers... I was about to take my headset in hands and the disconnection began! I looked in the program and as soon as I put the headset in the table and for less than one second before it connects again, a message like this appear: Warning: HMD Connection has poor tracking quality (It was just too fast so I couldn't read it for sure) Anyway...I believe it was something about the drivers first... But now the issue stays in the cable or in my graphics card maybe? (Its a 1060 6GB btw)
    NerveGear
    So here I am again... I tried the above suggestions of @Gloozy and @MAC_MAN86 and it didn't work... I had already given up but support talked to me today! They told me to send the serial number and my address so I can send the Oculus to them to test it and maybe get a replacement. But as I expected this won't work since I live in a country where they don't ship. So... I went to a friend's house who has a nvidia 1070, nothing worked too but then I crossed in to a page about the nvidia drivers and found some consumers having success with the 384.94! I won't give up on my VR!! I just tried this drivers version on my pc and... IT WORKED! I was since 6 May getting just black screen but now it keeps connected with the white light! I was so happy... BUT! As the world isn't just sun and flowers... I was about to take my headset in hands and the disconnection began! I looked in the program and as soon as I put the headset in the table for less than one second before it connects again, a message like this appear: Warning: HMD Connection has poor tracking quality (It was just too fast so I couldn't read it for sure) Anyway...I believe it was something about the drivers first... But now the issue stays in the cable or in my graphics card maybe? (Its a 1060 6GB btw)
  • douggyvegasdouggyvegas Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    no more solutions?
    Wintermute
    edited June 2018
    Allebc said:
    Warning: HMD Connection has poor tracking quality (It was just too fast so I couldn't read it for sure) Anyway...

That is to do with the OculusServer is Running but did not get a wake up to connect to the HMD due to the Win10 Update being energy efficient. It can do this anytime at all for any Oculus Device. You need to use RESTART within the Oculus Menu, OR use RESTART OCULUS SERVICE in Debug Tool, OR close all Oculus Tasks in Task Manager then run Oculus, OR REBOOT (the first is best choice but the last also clears your RAM).

ANY Nvidia Driver will work and it's subjective if any are actually better than others. The reports of Black Screens came about during the same time of other issues involving Firmware Updates not completing fully to allow Setup to Work OR other cable/socket pins  problems from standard use of twisted and kinks cables. Some Nvidia Drivers were said to be a problem for some GTX10** Series and it really is not made clear what we should use.

I use what Win10 selects: 388.13 and leave it until when it wants to Update later. Too much of Users testing Drivers going forward/rolling back and cleaning with DDU cause issues with your systems ability to use System Restore. I say just let Windows decide. The Updates are all there to advertise new games!

• DaemonWhiteDaemonWhite Posts: 3
    NerveGear

Been happening since update 1.27 I think. Played rift last week fine, now today I can't do much of anything until either I lose audio and desktop access, or just black screen entirely with no recovery except a reset. Mainly been trying Beat Saber.

Windows 10 1803 Anniversary
    i7 4790k Default
    RX Vega 64 slight undervolt
    16GB DDR3 1333 MHz

• BoneboysBoneboys Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Make sure to opt out of Core 2.0 beta which was enabled by default in version 1.26.
    This resolved my issues, (see post above).
    You will need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect, the oculus restart alone will not suffice.
    Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.