New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Windows 10 Spontaneous Reboot

MarsKatMarsKat Posts: 22
Brain Burst
edited February 2018 in General
Having a really bad time with this, so any help would be much appreciated.

My Windows 10 PC is spontaneously rebooting while running the Oculus software AND the HMD is plugged in (but needn't be active). This tends to occur  <10 mins of game time (Onwards and Dungeon Knight as examples), but has also occurred during the "See what your hands can do" setup segment and while in the Oculus Store. 

Attached is the OculusLogGatherer zip. 
Oculus Log and Win's Event Logger show a lot of "[Kernel:Error] OVR Error:".

I hope somebody smarter than me might be able to help diagnose from that. Thank you for looking!

Some pointers/previous areas looked at:
  • Everything was working fine for months on the same setup - so probably driver clashes or a new hardware fault. First noticed on Feb 14th while playing Lone Echo - it seemed to be a corrupt save game...but now observed everywhere.
  • I've stripped the PC back to minimal hardware and connections.
  • Reset Windows 10, installed latest drivers (inc Nvidia 390.77 - is this still an issue and is spontaneous reboot the effect?)
  • Latest firmware on Z270 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, and Samsung Nvme m.2 960 Evo (boot and only drive), 
  • No overclocking. No overheating observed. 550W Themaltake PSU.
  • On 3 sensor setup, 2 x usb 3.0, 1 x usb 2. Usb 2 is on the 5m extension cable supplied with the extra sensor.
  • Same problem when using SteamVR.

Oculus Rift CV1 
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | i5 7600K @ 3.8GHz | 16Gb GTX | Gtx 1080 8Gb

Tagged:

Comments

• MarsKatMarsKat Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Updates:
    Uninstalled latest Nvidia Drivers, installed recommended Nvidia driver 388.59
    Turned upside down sensor 'right way up'
    Used Core Beta

-- nothing has helped, still have the same problem - seemingly random spontaneous reboot.

New log attached.

Can anybody help? Am I posting in the right place?
    Oculus Rift CV1 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,480
    Project 2501
    edited February 2018
    Can you please list your full computer specifications?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,661 Valuable Player
    Also check your Windows event error log file.
    Sounds more like a hardware issue perhaps.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
    Project 2501
    TBH I am leaning towards that Thermaltake PSU. Never had any luck with that brand....
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,129 Power Poster
    I had a similar issue going on in January after messing around with some BIOS settings (was seeing if I could push my overclock a little higher).

What ended up fixing it for me was turning off the Fast Boot feature in the BIOS. I don’t actually notice boot-up taking any longer, but everything has been rock-solid since changing that one setting. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Brain Burst
    Signature updated with specs.
    Oculus Rift CV1 

Project 2501
    ?

I don’t see anyone here with sigs. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,124 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    OP - What do you mean by reset Windows 10? Do you mean reinstalled it? If you do then it's obviously a hardware fault and there's a fair few things that can cause this. 

This may not help now, but I have to say how important it is to back up your Pc with an image of your HDD/SSD. I always do 2 backups, one when I know everything is running fine and a separate one every 2 weeks. I always keep the old one so I can always fall back on it. This then rules out it ever been a driver or software issue. You don't even have to pay for this software and it backs up your HDD/SSD, its called Aomei. I've lost count of how many times it's help me out and it's so straight forward to use. Do yourselves a favour and download it now. Take an image of your HDD/SSD and place the image on a separate HDD/SSD. The free version allows you to do this and restore your image. The free version also allows you to do other things like backing up folders ..etc.

https://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    "reset Windows 10" --using the Windows Settings, recovery "Reset this PC" option, and chose not to keep my files. Not a full 'from the DVD' reinstall.

Had 2 hours up-time (very good, thought that a Bios reset might've fixed it), then crashed again. Latest Oculus log attached. Can anybody interpret these?...
    [Kernel:Default] Cannot serialize non-finite value
    [OAF ERROR] ...
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    If you say you had problems with the save on that game you mentioned, then you could have a Windows 10 fault. This won't say for certain there's a fault, but try running a command prompt as administrator and type sfc /scannow. This may fix Windows 10, but there's no guarantee.

Have you also done things like re-seating your Ram and Graphics card? That's if you know what you are doing inside a computer? Also, testing one stick of Ram at a time in their slots and swapping the slots if you still have problems? Also, is it only in VR you have this problem? Have you tested games on your monitor for example?

The more info the better someone can help, but here's some links to do the tests.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Just to add what someone else has already said. What is the event viewer saying what caused the crash?

http://www.howto-connect.com/event-viewer-on-windows-10/

Brain Burst
    While running VRmark I get the following failure (the benchmark fails). Not a reboot as per OP, and nothing to do with Oculus as no Oculus software is running and the Rift isn't plugged in... but could it be an underlying DirectX problem?

eva::graphics::rendering::valeta_renderer::render(): File: dx_device.cpp Line: 1256 Function: class eva::graphics::typed_native_shader<5> __cdecl eva::graphics::dx::dx_device::create_pixel_shader(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,enum eva::graphics::compilation_warning_mode) Expression: m_native->CreatePixelShader( bytecode.pointer(), bytecode.size(), nullptr, native.receive()): DX11 call failed [-2147024809]. The parameter is incorrect. The parameter is incorrect. :

Oculus Rift CV1 

Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    I've tried a complete reinstall- wiped the disk, installed Windows 10, MSI motherboard drivers (using Live Update 6), Nvidia 3.88.59, Steam (latest), and Oculus software (latest).
    I nearly completed the Oculus first-time setup -- transferred to First Contact robot RV, after about 10 seconds in there, the computer spontaneously rebooted! Same problems on the clean install. Misery continues...please help if you can  :/

Oculus log attached.
    [Service_2018-02-27_04.17.09.txt] 27/02 04:43:01.719 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] Cannot serialize non-finite value
    Windows Event logger - what info would be useful to attach here? 
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    @MarsKat - Did you do what I said with the Graphics Card and memory if you know what to do inside a computer? Have you tried resetting your bios to it's defaults? Looks like it might be a Hardware fault, but if you don't give a response to people's suggestions then they can't help you. I also asked if it was just doing it in VR, but you didn't answer..
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    @RedRizla Hi, yeah, I've gone off on my own path a bit on this... thanks for prompting me.
    Yes, I removed, visually inspected and re-seated the RAM, GPU and M.2. All looks fine and everything outside VR works as expected/
    Yes, reset BIOS to defaults. There's no overclocking or tweaking being applied either.
    2D/flat games and apps are fine - tested for several hours. 3DMark runs its benchmark fine.
    Windows is reinstalled and fully updated. Nvidia 3.88.59.
    I have not done a RAM stress test... other than the standard 3DMarb benchmarks

The problem only occurs when Oculus software is running. Crash times are a few seconds in VR to about a minute.
    I've noticed that running SteamVR (which launches Oculus, of course) consistently crashes on the first time setup within 10 seconds, even if the HMD is not activated.
    (the crash behaviour doesn't require any 3rd party VR apps to be running ie no games launched)

The Oculus logs show a lot of OVR errors:
    [Service_2018-02-27_05.56.34.txt] 27/02 05:56:46.138 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.560 {!ERROR!} [Camera:General] Camera list is empty but CV1 camera vid/pid found in the device tree - Reporting driver install problem.
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.591 {!ERROR!} [OAF ERROR] C:\cygwin\data\sandcastle\boxes\trunk-hg-ovrsource-pc-sdk\Software\OculusSDK\PC\OAF\liboaf\Network\FileHttpRequest.cpp(339) : Download CompatLibData failed with error: FatalError domain: TigonFileDownloaderProtocolError code: 0 detail: Unexpected HTTP response. (1971005)
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.591 {!ERROR!} [OculusAppFramework.cpp] Download of https://www2.oculus.com/compatibility_library?access_token=OC|1522986184659833| failed: OVR64123165
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.707 {!ERROR!} [OVRServer] Downloaded compatibility JSON is bad. First 50 characters: %s
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:46.073 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:46.123 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
    [Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:47.122 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    Have you tried using a different Hdmi port for the Rift? How many monitors do you have? Tried just using the Rift without monitor plugged in? Are you using a usb card? I'm not really up on Oculus log problems, but @cybereality might be able to help with that part. What do you think Cyber looking at these logs? 
    Brain Burst
    Both my monitor and Rift are on the GPU (GTX 1060 6Gb) - just the one monitor on a display port, the Rift directly into the only HDMI on the GPU.
    The only alternative HDMI is on the motherboard, and this is live (I can hot-plug in and get a monitor display).
    This is all setup as it used to be 'when it all just worked' for the first 100 hours or so.

I'm trying to isolate the failure conditions, but either there's multiple factors, or they seem so random, I haven't been able to recreate them reliably.
    The only definite pattern I've noticed is that when the computer reboots (spontaneously) it tends to fail very quickly afterwards again  <1 min back in VR. However, if I do a proper clean 'shut down', when starting up again I have had play time as long as 2 hours.
    I'm also totally confident that the cause is 'something to do with VR usage' -- but whether that's hardware or software lead, HMD or sensor/ usb controllers (just using the built in one on the MSI motherboard), I'm at a loss.
    It's all the same hardware that worked just fine before, and ostensibly the same software (or their recently updated versions).

It may be coincidental, but problems seemed to start approx around the time I tried the Rift Core Beta - does that prompt any firmware updates? How is firmware handled on the touch, sensors and HMD?

I'm shooting blind with these logs... if I'm not supplying the information needed, please let me know what's important to escalate.

Thanks very much for your assistance.
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    Are you still using the Rift core Beta or have you gone back to using the stable version of Oculus Home. I know a few people have had problems with Rift Core beta, so it would be wise to go back to using the stable build of Oculus Home..

I know it sounds silly but sometimes it can even be mouse software that causes this. You haven't installed any mouse software have you? This happened to another guy in these forums due to some mouse software he had installed. After you installed Windows 10 did you try the Rift straight away or did you install anyother software. Just asking to rule things out that's all. I asked about the ports because they to can just go faulty. I also have a Usb card which I think is much better.

@cybereality - Should be able to take a look at the logs. Hopefully he can help with that part..
    Brain Burst
    Rift Core Beta was my first suspicion when problems started, so I switched back and have remained mainly on the 'non-beta' original....although in time, I have tried Beta again to see if it helped - it didn't, so back to original.

No new hardware or software. Just a USB mouse and keyboard - same one as always - with whatever standard drivers Windows provides.

This morning's reinstallation was as clean as I could make it: wiped drive with Windows 10, allowed to update itself, USB mouse, keyboard, MSI motherboard drivers (via MSI's Live Setup 6 - automatic driver finder utility), Steam, Oculus software, Google Chrome, and then the Oculus hardware... rebooted about 10 seconds in to the First Contact robot setup/tutorial. 
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    Yeah it's obvious it's VR related to some hardware. Bit of a strange one. Did you try removing the Hdmi at the headset end and plugin that back in? Hopefully, Cyber will be along to look at your logs later on. I'd maybe do a memtest, but you said your 2D games worked fine. Are your games for VR on a separate HDD/SSD for the CV1? Was just thinking of maybe a HDD/SSD going bad if they were..
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    Re HDD - in the beginning of the problem phase they were on a separate HDD. That disk was the newest (and recent) component so I attributed the problems to that initially... eventually just disconnected it. So no, all the more recent issues have been with all software on the same SSD (which is also the Windows boot disk). I've run a health check on that SSD - all looks good.

Rift HDMI looks good at both ends.
    Next, will start systematically trying all the USB combinations for sensors and ports....
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    I would suggest an internal usb card even if that isn't the problem. I just think they help, but there's a specific one you have to buy for Oculus CV1. I'm trying to get my head around your Pc working for a couple of hours once you do a shutdown and then reboot your PC. I'm trying to work out what could cause that to happen while just using the Rift. Do you keep the Bios updated or are you on the same version?
    Brain Burst
    Yes, it's odd that the 'instability' should seem more persistent on a reboot than on a shut down....if software. I hate to even go here; but I did a visual inspection of all the capacitors on the motherboard and GPU - as far as I can tell in my nativity, they all look normal (not obviously discoloured or misshaped etc.). Who knows how the PSU dissipates... but again, all things 2D are fine. I'm hoping the secret will be in the logs.
    Oculus Rift CV1 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,129 Power Poster
    You should really open a support ticket so they can properly analyze your Oculus logs. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    edited February 2018
    nalex66 said:
    You should really open a support ticket so they can properly analyze your Oculus logs. 

Yes, would be good idea at this stage. I thought Cyber might have been around to look at them by now though. See if he could figure it out. To me it looks like something isn't installing correctly for whatever reason and creates a fault.
    Project 2501
    I know it sounds ridiculous but I’ve had this happen before where it was a faulty power supply and it was ONE program that triggered it. At least try a better PSU and if it’s not it then no foul....then you have a backup which is always a good thing. 

I would suggest a Corsair or Seasonic and no lower than 700W. I don’t trust Thermaltake whatsoever....bad power ripples. 
    Brain Burst
    Thanks everyone for your help and input.

I've been experimenting and I've finally found a reliable way to replicate the rebooting. I cannot over-stress that these are *NOT* the only conditions under which I've had reboots, they're just the only conditions I've been able to isolate and replicate reliably and they seem pretty indicative. My normal 'problem' experince is NOT related to removing and replacing the HMD, it's normally mid-game.

Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.248
    Oculus app version 1.23.0.527813 (1.23.0.528114) (Rift Core 2.0 Beta never enabled)
    Sensor 1 178/e9c7e04064ed1bd7a089 (on USB 3)
    Sensor 2 178/e9c7e04064ed1bd7a089 (on USB 3)
    Rift 708/34a904e8da   (on USB 3)
    Other devices: usb mouse, usb keyboard (both usb 2)

Rift plugged into GPU (1060) HDMI.
    All other devices plugged into motherboard's USBs.
    No new hardware since approx 100 hours problem-free usage.

Process:
    Windows boots
    Place finger over Rift sensor = Oculus App opens
    Can see Home through Rift lens...
    removing finger = off
    wait 3 to 10 seconds
    replacing finger = on repeat cycle between 2 to 4 times = reboot (computer powers down... no BIOS info on monitor... Windows login screen ... enter password ... Windows desktop as normal, no overtly running apps

Repeated this process approx 8 times. Occurs both with a 'reboot', and with a full shut down and power-off. On one occasion, on reboot, fhe Rift amber light was blinking rapidly - approx 5 times per second.

Log attached.

Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    I'm also starting to suspect something like a Power Supply problem now. Are you able to swap out that Power Supply in your PC to test it? Seems to me when you do that with your finger over the Rift sensor the power draw for the Rift might be to blame. I'd be looking at the PSU first now. I would also get a Usb card at some point.

You also need to send that log into Oculus support, it's only them that can tell you if it's the Rift itself. Let use know how this is resolved, but I'd look at PSU first now. Just make sure you get a good PSU to test it, because a Psu is one of the main things people overlook when building a computer. I always get a really good PSU because it's what drivers your Pc..

I haven't heard many good things said about the PSU you currently have and there is where the problem might lie. I would defiantly swap the PSU and test it with a better one.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I see a ton of strange errors in those log files. Not being able to find the sensor (could be a sensor or USB driver issue), not getting the display mode on the headset, download errors, the works. Something is definitely wrong here, but it's hard to say how it got like that. Even so, an error in VR would most likely only crash a game or maybe freeze. If your PC is rebooting itself, that sounds more like a power supply issue, or a failed overclock, or maybe the CPU is not getting enough voltage, or overheating, etc.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for looking at the logs. Interesting that there are multiple issues.
    This system has never been over-clocked, and the computer isn't displaying this reboot behaviour under any conditions other than with the Rift plugged in and active. I can run benchmarks like 3Dmark and VRmark, and Witcher 3 in ultra 1080p without problems.
    I've been getting this behvaiour on the most vanilla install I can do, AND with all the same hardware which was flawless for about 100 hours - not sure how so much can be wrong in the logs!
    There's no indication of overheating, either on software monitors or just touching the cooling block - although copper, it barely feels warmer than the computer's case.
    I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic test - no problems.
    I've been along the Rift's USB cable and wiggled any kinks or bumps in it, that doesn't seem to be causing a short.

I've raised a support ticket, but where do I go from here other than speculatively buying new hardware?
    Oculus Rift CV1 

edited February 2018
    You wait for support to reply, but power problems like the PSU been faulty can throw up error logs if the PC isn't running right. You have no choice but to either borrow a PSU, or get a new one which is what I would do. You wouldn't waste money getting a better PSU because the one you have isn't a good one. A rebooting PC can be a big indicator that it's the PSU that's faulty because it's not given sufficient enough power to all of your devices constantly. That's why it might be fine running 2D games, but run into problems when using extra power for the Rift.. Let use know how you get on..